General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

cranks.. what can be done?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 12:54 PM
morto
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cranks.. what can be done?

hello all, im just not to sure what to do, my evo spun a couple of shells cus of my thrust bearing failing as this a a manufacturing problem with all evo,s from 1 to 4 known as crankwalk.. on examination of the crank all looks ok besides a score in the side of the crank were the thrust bearing failed , my question is can the crank be fixed or is it better just to get a new one and considering i will sell her when ive done all the work? any help on this one guys

thanks
andy
Old 07-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Rob
Regular Contributor

As a rule there will more than likely be different sized thrust washers available. Speak to you local engine rebuilder and he will be able to measure it up see what can be done.

My crank was scrap though when the thrust washer let go, but this is on a cologne.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:33 PM
morto
PassionFord Post Troll

thanks rob, i did think of that but its worn down on only one face so bigger thrust bearings wouldent fit right on the good facing?

andy
Old 07-07-2007, 02:42 PM
Rob
Regular Contributor

yeah but if within tolerence's you can have the good face machined down to match.

Like I said best is drop it off to a pro, doubt it'll cost much to if it can be done. You need new shells anyway so getting the crank checked and machined will prolly be no more than 100 notes if that.

Really depends how easy it is to get another crank and how much, and could easily be worn still.

I scraped my crank simly becuase it too much had gone, a serious lip left on the crank and eating into the counterwieght! Plus I have a better crank sitting around as spare

Rob
Old 07-07-2007, 06:25 PM
morto
PassionFord Post Troll

rob i think im gona take it out and take it down to our local guy and see what he thinks, iv been looking around and can get a second hand one for 100 quid or one thats been ground and new bearings for 280quid, or new 425 plus vat

thanks
andy
Old 07-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

we got cossie crank reground and bigger shells, Ł80 for regrind and Ł60 for full set of shells, cant see it being much different on an Evo
Old 07-07-2007, 06:59 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Easy fix, can resize as well if necessary.
tabetha

Trending Topics

Old 07-07-2007, 11:11 PM
Mr Whippy
Oderint dum metuant

01260 272 956 ask for pete, top notch bloke who deals with early evo's every day, he will tell you straight what the best/cheapest course of action will be, and if its a new crank he will have one on hand for a very reasonable price.

Chris.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:09 AM
morto
PassionFord Post Troll

thanks chris, im just getting everything ready for the whole engine out job, guys on MLR tell me its best to lift the whole thing gearbox and all then drop to floor and pull out from the bottom of the car. its the labour and time thats a pain for me the bits to fix arnt that bad , mabe a regrind and while its out im gona take a close look at all the pistons as iv deff got bad ringlands, im looking at the price to buy a hoist as your lookin at about 140.00 off ebay new.. then maybe sell it afterwards by the way chris i was driving ma mates 325 bhp scoob the other day and deff did not feel any quicker then my standard evo, well mines just about standard just a new TD05 big 16g turbo ported with hks filter and full stainless but only running standard boost

andy
Old 09-07-2007, 09:31 PM
Mr Whippy
Oderint dum metuant

Sorry ive not replied sooner andy, had a lot on........

As for removing the engine, deffinately remove it from the bottom as its easier to jack the front of the car up and drag the engine out from underneath.

as for your ring land problem, i have some evo 9 pistons and rods ( only done 500 miles!! ) if you need some. Surplus to requirements as ive decided to go forged stroker but geoff stokes (Bream) uses evo 9 pistons in his flying machine and they seem to work well
Old 09-07-2007, 09:42 PM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stroke it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Eagle...spagenameZWD2V
Old 09-07-2007, 11:17 PM
Mr Whippy
Oderint dum metuant

Hahaha, he is looking to fix and then sell i think, so im sure the $1700 price tag might put him off Not a bad price though
Old 10-07-2007, 07:40 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Mr Whippy
Hahaha, he is looking to fix and then sell i think, so im sure the $1700 price tag might put him off Not a bad price though
How cheap is that for what looks like a good bit of kit!
Old 10-07-2007, 01:34 PM
Mr Whippy
Oderint dum metuant

Originally Posted by Porkie
Originally Posted by Mr Whippy
How cheap is that for what looks like a good bit of kit!
To be fair lee, thats about the going rate matey all i need now is sean to go to the states again so he can bring it back in his suit case

" excuse me sir, what have you got in this case?? "