General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Turboot

Search this Thread

Old 18-06-2007, 10:03 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turboot

Good results for a weekends pissing about on your driveway just to see what would happen, and just 60quid spent...

Thought you might be interested in seeing what happens when I got bored and started mucking around with a Garrett T2.
Yes, this is my boot of my MX5.
I got 5PSI of boost, the lag wasn't as bad as I expected, the boost was not really there in first, appeared at about 3K in second and was there throughout the rest of the gears.

I used a Nissan 200SX Diff Oil Cooler pump and oil cooler to circulate the oil, the resevoir is hidden to the left of the picture. It was quite noisey as I used the turbo to REPLACE the backbox, effectively using it as a silencer in its own right.

For a project done for £60 (total, thats literally every penny accounted for) in a weekend it was a blinding success. The hardest parts were getting the soundproofing off the boot floor and running 50mm waste pipe to the front of the car to the Air flow meter.

All I did was remove my HKS Silent HiPower backbox, made a pipe to connect the exhaust to a hole in the boot floor the size and shape of the turbo inlet and bolted it direct to the floor using the metal floor as a sort of gasket.

Underneath the car we used a metal tube with the end sealed up as a sort of sump to collect the oil before the pump scavenged it away, with a t-piece on the return going to a resevoir (mainly to give some expansion space for the hot oil). Nissan 200SX Diff Cooler pump was £10 from the SXOC forum (most of them throw them away apparently) and that comes with a cooler fitted.

Wired it to an ignition fed relay which meant my oil was being circulated through the tubby on the first ignition click (so I could stop the car, leave the oil flowing for a few seconds further, then withdraw the key). The exhaust from the turbo just goes back through the floor and exits at the rear of the bumper.

Setting it back to standard meant just removing the turbo and plumbing and putting the backbox back on (although I have a couple more holes in the boot floor than before, but thats easily fixed.
Old 18-06-2007, 10:20 AM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

nice little cheep project, got any underside pictures
Old 18-06-2007, 10:22 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Kind of cool just for the sake of doing it I guess, but cant really see the point when you could just install it normally instead.

Be interesting to see what actually happens with the fuelling and timing though as the ECU is going to be well outside what it can handle pretty quickly I should think!
Old 18-06-2007, 12:01 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

don't believe it was only £60 though - that air filter would cost that if it is a decent one

where does the air come from when he closes the boot?

rubber oil feed pipe through an ungrommeted hole in the boot is a bodge - in fact the whole thing is a bodge good bit of fun though
Old 18-06-2007, 12:03 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it was a bodge, just a quick bit of messing about to see if itd work, and it did.

filter he already had, as the car is a modded n/a car normally.

seems the stock managment on them can take a little boost with no probs.

and the point of it was it meant 60quid and next to no effort to do, and 5mins to return it back to standard.
compared to a proper conversion that would mean extensive mods under the bonnet.
Old 18-06-2007, 12:05 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

As a "proof of concept" its ok