General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Someone please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 25-05-2007, 08:55 PM
RS2wd
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone please help!!

Just put a new starter motor in my dads range rover, (p38 middle shape) so i go and start it and fires up loverly, leave it for a bit, turn it off, put tools away etc.. then start it again and the stater stays engaged with the engine running.. turn the key off and the stater is still spinning, so take the lead off the battery and it stops, put the lead back on, starter is still running is the new starter faulty? or is there any other reason?
many thanks Matt
Old 25-05-2007, 09:17 PM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

sounds like the solinoid is sticking, did this to me on my cossie years ago, ran round like a headless chicken looking for a 10mm spanner to get the battery off!!!

steve
Old 25-05-2007, 09:40 PM
RS2wd

so take it back and get another one then? I took the wires off....2 leads to the big post and one spade lead, to make sure nothing was earthing anything, put it all back.... started fine first time, turned it off, started it 2nd time.. starts but starter is still spinning!...
LOL at headless chicken, was just like that
Old 25-05-2007, 09:44 PM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

Whack the solenoid with a big stick. That fixes my dads!
Old 25-05-2007, 10:01 PM
RS2wd

Will try tapping the solenoid tomorrow moring and see what happenens, the starter is brand new, is a bit odd how it works fine first time and not the 2nd on two different attemps