General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Ouch, dont buy cheap lower arms off eBay

Search this Thread

Old 22-05-2007, 07:56 AM
D19 STE
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Ouch, dont buy cheap lower arms off eBay

Fitted em the other week and spent some of saturday tracking it up as my dad was using it for a road rally that evening.

Just drifting off to sleep at about 2.30am when the phone rings and its my dad saying they've bent a lower arm on a section on a discussed airfield. Apparently they hit a smallish hole and there was a large bang followed by lots of grinding noises which turned out to be the rollbar rubbing on the driveshaft

He managed to limp it home but the whell has gone back in the arch about 2 inches and it winds the steering wheel to the right on its own quite quickly :laugh:

From what he said it wasn't much of a pothole and we've hit much bigger and faster ones before on standard bottom arms without any problems (airfield surface is mostly broken concrete with tuffts of grass and a few holes) It was alittle concerned right from the start about their strength especially with the size of the holes in them and I guess I was right cos the amount they've bent on a relativly small impact is preety bad

These ones
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...0569&rd=1&rd=1

From this post on FEOC http://www.feoc-uk.com/index.php?showtopic=48368
Old 22-05-2007, 07:59 AM
AlexD
Post Miester !

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice !
Old 22-05-2007, 08:24 AM
Ollie MK5 Turbo
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

F That
Old 22-05-2007, 08:29 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

what did they expect lol, its a flat plate, where is the strengthening?

there aint any lol
Old 22-05-2007, 08:51 AM
Phil
Jeebus

That really is crap design!
Old 22-05-2007, 08:52 AM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its a flat plate with HUGE fucking holes in it
Old 22-05-2007, 08:54 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol! well it dont take a genius to see, before even bought, never mind fitted, that thats a piss weak design

Trending Topics

Old 22-05-2007, 08:58 AM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Lightening holes to save weight..but no extra strengthening taken nito account.
Least they were cheap-ish.

Improve vehicle stability, tighten up the handling and prolong the life of the suspension.
As long as you don't drive the car...
Old 22-05-2007, 09:04 AM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

Im sorry but that would never ever stand up to motorsport use - as you have just found out
Old 22-05-2007, 09:10 AM
D19 STE
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by NUTS RuS
Im sorry but that would never ever stand up to motorsport use - as you have just found out
Not me mate as I have Zoo Motorsport lower arms on my car I aint that daft

Old 22-05-2007, 09:11 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

at least the deflex ones, that look a bit like that have a verticle plates welded all aroun the edge to aid strength, but even they dont look that manly
Old 22-05-2007, 09:12 AM
D19 STE
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Dan@FastFord
at least the deflex ones, that look a bit like that have a verticle plates welded all aroun the edge to aid strength, but even they dont look that manly
I still wouldnt touch them
Old 22-05-2007, 09:13 AM
D19 STE
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by phil_focus
its a flat plate with HUGE fucking holes in it
Yep
Old 22-05-2007, 09:14 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

remind me of swiss cheese
Old 22-05-2007, 09:16 AM
D19 STE
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by dojj
remind me of swiss cheese
PMSL
Old 22-05-2007, 09:17 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

what a joke - as said there is no strength in that 'design' at all as is obvious from just looking at them
Old 22-05-2007, 09:21 AM
dojj

and there are no ridges for strength so unless they are made of carbon fiber or super strength steel, there is no wy they are going to last on a car
Old 22-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Rippers
Monte Geek

Originally Posted by D19 STE

Seen one of those snap aswell
Old 22-05-2007, 09:54 AM
D19 STE
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Paul Ripley

That was the old 3mm thick design and other issues that I wont go into, the new ones are 8mm thick tubular steel now

Originally Posted by BROM@ZOO
just like to add sunill has had his arms replaced as i said i would this is a very uncomman thing to happen this desidn came from short oval cars super salloons n hot rods many yrs ago taking much abuse hitting barrers other cars they never broke
i used to get the hi strenght tube 3.5 mm tubing from rally design but no i do my own turning and maching i use diffent thicker materails
the old tube had a rating of 12 tonne statc load te gold cromoly bearings have a static load of 14 tonnes
the new design
uses the same 30 mm diameter tube BUT i NOW USE 8MM WALL COLD DRAWN SEAMLESS TUBING WITH A TENSILE STRENGH OF 33 TONNES

the newer joint has a static loading of 53 tonnes on the outer joint and i side loading of 13 tonnes
your avrage road or track tyre would not pull 3 g let alown 13 g it would take to bend the joints !!!!!!!!!
i have been doing this type since i came out of hospital when i re opened zoo in april
i have not had any other complants in the 6 yrs i have been making them
only the balls in rose joint sometimes squeeked which is now why i fit grease covers to the inner joints
inner joints cost me around Ł40 each and the outer joints cost me Ł53 plus vat hence the price increase
to re asure everbody convedence i am going to get the old arm tested again the new and will post results to anybody intrested
just sorry its happend
i dont sell items to endanger ppls lives as anybody that know me personally i tend to make things over kill in size and strenght
Old 22-05-2007, 10:04 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Judging by the link, I would say these ones ARE deflex ones.
Old 22-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

neil had a set on his FRST from Deflex, have a look in the latest issue of FF on page 60, they look similar int hat the holes are there etc, but they have metal welded all around the edges for strength, they are also powdercoated silver, that ones in that pic just look galvenised?
Old 22-05-2007, 10:09 AM
Rippers
Monte Geek

That was the old 3mm thick design and other issues that I wont go into, the new ones are 8mm thick tubular steel now

just like to add sunill has had his arms replaced as i said i would this is a very uncomman thing to happen this desidn came from short oval cars super salloons n hot rods many yrs ago taking much abuse hitting barrers other cars they never broke
i used to get the hi strenght tube 3.5 mm tubing from rally design but no i do my own turning and maching i use diffent thicker materails
the old tube had a rating of 12 tonne statc load te gold cromoly bearings have a static load of 14 tonnes
the new design
uses the same 30 mm diameter tube BUT i NOW USE 8MM WALL COLD DRAWN SEAMLESS TUBING WITH A TENSILE STRENGH OF 33 TONNES

the newer joint has a static loading of 53 tonnes on the outer joint and i side loading of 13 tonnes
your avrage road or track tyre would not pull 3 g let alown 13 g it would take to bend the joints !!!!!!!!!
i have been doing this type since i came out of hospital when i re opened zoo in april
only the balls in rose joint sometimes squeeked which is now why i fit grease covers to the inner joints
inner joints cost me around Ł40 each and the outer joints cost me Ł53 plus vat hence the price increase
to re asure everbody convedence i am going to get the old arm tested again the new and will post results to anybody intrested
just sorry its happend
i dont sell items to endanger ppls lives as anybody that know me personally i tend to make things over kill in size and strenght
Glad they got sorted was there a recall on the old ones?
Old 22-05-2007, 10:10 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Rich, just looked at the link, they look totally different to genuine deflex ones

gen ones have more holes in (ie smaller too) and the ball joint is mounted underneath too
Old 22-05-2007, 10:11 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

neil had a set on his FRST from Deflex, have a look in the latest issue of FF on page 60, they look similar int hat the holes are there etc, but they have metal welded all around the edges for strength, they are also powdercoated silver, that ones in that pic just look galvenised?
I haven't seen them.

Just saying, the link given to that Ebay page shows the seller as Deflex.
Old 22-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

yeah i noticed that too, but havent deflex gone bust lol?
Old 22-05-2007, 10:21 AM
D19 STE
PassionFord Post Troll

the new design

just sorry its happend
Not sure what Brom did with this, think he said he contacted the people but not 100% on this
Old 22-05-2007, 10:23 AM
D19 STE
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by RichardPON
I haven't seen them.

Apparently the company selling these on eBay took over from Deflex when they went bust but not sure on this tho
Old 22-05-2007, 10:45 AM
Sunil_FiestaRS1800
Advanced PassionFord User

the new design

just sorry its happend
Not sure what Brom did with this, think he said he contacted the people but not 100% on this
It was mine that broke. Luckily i was just pulling away when i heard it snap. So no damage done. Hate to think what would have happened if i had been doing some speed or they had failed at Brunters a few weeks previous.

Brom is getting me the new thicker tubing ones sorted in the next couple of weeks
Old 22-05-2007, 11:32 AM
EssexMikeSi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

looks how my normal ones looked like after some1 caused me to go into a high kerb one night. I thought the steering felt funny on the way home lol
Old 22-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Jim Green
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Errrrrrrrrr......Don't know what to say about those. I'm no engineer, but I would have expected some vertical strengthening webs somewhere on the design.

Obviously no developement stages added to the design.....LOL.

Wouldn't have touch somthing that looked like that with a barge pole.
Old 22-05-2007, 11:57 AM
nilrem
STOP!... Carry on

i wouldnt even like to try them on your average town taxi... let alone a fucking performace/rally car... it needs contours and ridges to add strength... dunno what they were thinking when they made those... the standard ones on most cars arent even flat...
Old 22-05-2007, 12:29 PM
D19 STE
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Sunil_FiestaRS1800

It was mine that broke. Luckily i was just pulling away when i heard it snap. So no damage done. Hate to think what would have happened if i had been doing some speed or they had failed at Brunters a few weeks previous.

Brom is getting me the new thicker tubing ones sorted in the next couple of weeks
Good to hear your getting it sorted ok mate
Old 22-05-2007, 12:30 PM
MikeyXR2i
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I think maybe the seller should be contacted with those pics, and ebay, aware the people that it is a dangerous product, and could kill someone. That is really poor to be fitted to a car with the pressure in that area.
Old 22-05-2007, 07:14 PM
CozzyBrom
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Sunil_FiestaRS1800

the new design

just sorry its happend

just like to add before everybody puts 2 and 2 together and get 6 !!!!
IT WAS THE TUBE SUPPLYED THAT FAILED NOT THE WELDING OR DESIGN !!!
when i became very ill in Jan 06 i returned to work in may time i ordered 5 metres of thinner wall cds that rally design always used to supply to me from years ago i made 3 sets of arms from this sunnil a lad from isle man and one from Scotland all have been replaced turboboss sean had a set of the early type just before i was ill and his are still on his car never failed even with 400 bhp through front wheels
i have replaced the arms and sunnil is having his arms upgraded to the thicker sealed type joints the reason it took so long in September i again was taken very ill and i had to end the unit i am currently working part time on beams and suspension only until i am fit to work 80hr weeks again
Old 22-05-2007, 07:15 PM
Rippers
Monte Geek

Good man
Old 22-05-2007, 10:13 PM
Adam Ash
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Totally off topic, D19 STE . . is this your reg plate as theres a scooby in our work car park with EXACTLY the same plate
Old 22-05-2007, 10:18 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Default Re: Ouch, dont buy cheap lower arms off eBay

My turds are stronger and thicker than them! That takes the fucking piss!

Old 22-05-2007, 10:56 PM
NEWTON
Advanced PassionFord User

I haven't seen them.

Apparently the company selling these on eBay took over from Deflex when they went bust but not sure on this tho
same people different name
Old 23-05-2007, 06:15 AM
wirralphil
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no bracing whatsoever you would of seen that as soon as you took the lokd ones off, they are clearly a death trap waiting to happen.
Old 23-05-2007, 06:21 AM
dojj

Originally Posted by NEWTON
I haven't seen them.

same people different name
floflex or soemthing ain't they?
seems like they ain't all they is cracked up to be

or did the deflex lot give them a load of shit stuff befroe they fucked off?

Quick Reply: Ouch, dont buy cheap lower arms off eBay