General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Problems STILL on Pf ,, is it now the norm

Search this Thread

Old 22-05-2007, 08:12 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Old 22-05-2007, 09:43 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Official PassionFord Trader
Administrator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTH YORKS RS SPARES
Stu

Sorry mate but you always reply with " its fine for you " thats makes it ok then does it ?????
Sorry, where on earth does my reply above suggest that Paul?
Can anyone else say they read my reply as that? Please give me your input either way everyone...

Sorry but i have major problems EVERY night ,,slow as fook , and not just between 7 and 10 pm ,,but then when you express how pisses you are your just a moaning twat arnt you
Again, where on earth have you just drawn that conclusion from?

I use many many other websites ( all free ) and thay are perfect at all times of the day .
Show me what other webforums you have 6000posts on and visit every night then paul? I will look where they are hosted and what lines they use and see if we can figure out some common denominator.

I understand Pet is busy , but when you pay money to somone for a service you expect to be able to use that service , and that the service works correctly ,PF Has had problems for months and montha now and when fixed they last a week if your lucky and its back to slow slow slow . surly this is also a business to pet as we are charged by him / you ??? so has PF just been put on the back burner sorry but you cant just forget about one business when starting another
I agree, hence my reply mate... not a lot else i can say. We have made the plans to fix it and currently it cannot be processed.

I will probs get a reply now ,,if you dont like it then we will refund you and you can fook off
Not at all, and again, why do you say that?
Old 22-05-2007, 09:50 AM
Ratty
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
Show me what other webforums you have 6000posts on and visit every night then Paul? I will look where they are hosted and what lines they use and see if we can figure out some common denominator.
Only forum I know that is as busy is http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/
Old 22-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

there are hundreds as busy mate, but paul uses some as often as this one, which is pretty rare i expect so i was just wondering which they were. For example, if all the ones he uses for hours a day are in the UIK, or america, we could look at the UK - France link.

However, if they are also in France, we know the link across for him is perfcetly ok.

The fact that NOT EVERYONE has the same level of performance is concerning and not as easy to fix as if it were a simple server error.
Old 22-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Redkop
Member No: 39

Stu IIRC when ScoobyNet had performance issues, they stopped the facility on the main index page of showing all the users currently online, this, I believe helped to speed up the site a bit. They still don't show that now, even though they have new vB software.
Old 22-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Ratty

Many ISP's like NTL use downstream proxies that become over loaded at peak times, others just dont have enough backbone band width to cope at peak times

It might be worth listing users ISP for those having problems as it may be the common link
Old 22-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

Originally Posted by Redkop
Stu IIRC when ScoobyNet had performance issues, they stopped the facility on the main index page of showing all the users currently online, this, I believe helped to speed up the site a bit. They still don't show that now, even though they have new vB software.
Agreed Lynne, its a possibility. It seems to only be an issue as far as i can see when we are around the 850 online mark. Nobody seems to have any issues prior to that...
Old 22-05-2007, 10:16 AM
Redkop

Ratty it isn't only peak times that I find PF slow. It is for me most of the day, only time I find it 'quick' is when I log on first thing in a morning between 5.30am-6.30am. I use a few other sites that consistently have 500-800 users online and have no problems with them.

My IP is Eclipse.
Old 22-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

Ratty it isn't only peak times that I find PF slow. It is for me most of the day, only time I find it 'quick' is when I log on first thing in a morning between 5.30am-6.30am.
Really?

I can honestly say PF is almost NEVER slow for me in teh daytime Lynne!!

My ISP Is BT Business.
Old 22-05-2007, 10:21 AM
Redkop

Agreed Lynne, its a possibility. It seems to only be an issue as far as i can see when we are around the 850 online mark. Nobody seems to have any issues prior to that...
I do Most of the day it is slow for me, well slower than other sites I use. The last 2 weeks my IP had performance issues and it was impossible to get on PF and other forums at times. Luckily they seem to have sorted that now

Perhaps as Ratty suggested, those that do suffer should list their IP and what connection speed they have.

So again

IP Eclipse > 2mb connection
Old 22-05-2007, 10:21 AM
Ratty

Ratty it isn't only peak times that I find PF slow. It is for me most of the day, only time I find it 'quick' is when I log on first thing in a morning between 5.30am-6.30am. I use a few other sites that consistently have 500-800 users online and have no problems with them.

My IP is Eclipse.
I left eclipse last year after continuous congestion and contention problems having been with them for 4 years. A lot of the problems I was having went away after that

Currently using entanet at home and verizon at work and have only had a few slow downs

Edit, when I had a fixed 2mb eclipse line it was fine, the problems started when it was upgrade to a adaptive "up to 8mb line"
Old 22-05-2007, 10:24 AM
Redkop

One point which might be of interest.... I find that when it takes ages for PF to load, that's when I find I have been logged out.

Ratty, we can't get 8mb.... 2mb is our limit because of being over the 3km distance from the exchange (we're 4km), so we're deemed as having RADSL
Old 22-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Ratty

If the page doesn't load first wait for a time out, dont refresh or close the browser otherwise next time you will have to login again as the cookie will be gone

Try having a fixed lower speed line a radsl can cause issues especially over long distances

A 1024 fixed line would problerably be more stable
Old 22-05-2007, 10:37 AM
Redkop

Originally Posted by Ratty
If the page doesn't load first wait for a time out, dont refresh or close the browser otherwise next time you will have to login again as the cookie will be gone

Try having a fixed lower speed line a radsl can cause issues especially over long distances

A 1024 fixed line would problerably be more stable
It's been a perfectly stable line for everything else on the internet and only has these issues with PF..... the slowness is erratic, can be quickish for a long while, then suddenly there's about 5 mins where it goes mega slow, then speeds up again, still with the same number of users online.

I have faith in Pet sorting it eventually though
Old 22-05-2007, 11:18 AM
gaz s1
Advanced PassionFord User

i had problems with passion ford while using internet explorer, now i use firefox i have no probs whatsoever im on tiscali 2mb
Old 22-05-2007, 11:23 AM
Jade1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I've had NO problems with PF for a good while now.
Has anyone thought that quite a few of member's computers might be going through a difficult time at the moment?
It just doesnt make sense, when it comes up with PhB critical error, we all get that. But we are not all getting this, it seems very 50/50
Old 22-05-2007, 11:29 AM
Redkop

Originally Posted by Jade1
Has anyone thought that quite a few of member's computers might be going through a difficult time at the moment?
It just doesnt make sense, when it comes up with PhB critical error, we all get that. But we are not all getting this, it seems very 50/50
Definitely not computer related as I have 2 computers and a laptop and it's the same for all of them.
Old 22-05-2007, 11:31 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If its not computer related as Lynne quite rightly said, then it must be ISP related surely?
Old 22-05-2007, 11:36 AM
silky16v
Get on That!

I fixed my issues by not using Internet Explorer usual Microsoft tat

just i thought for the peeps that having problems try using
Firefox it worked for me

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/
Old 22-05-2007, 12:15 PM
Redkop

Something I dredged from the depths of my brain.... I remember reading ages ago that the Google AdSense ads can slow forums down sometimes. So I have just done a search on Google and there appears to be quite a lot of articles about it.... SEARCH

A few months ago I noticed that the Google Ads on PF weren't leading properly at the foot of the page and made the lower loading bar hang for ages.

This one thread makes interesting reading.... http://www.webmasterworld.com/google...se/3025594.htm
Old 22-05-2007, 12:16 PM
Robski

i visit daily and have never had any problems i use BT and have a 2MB connection
Old 22-05-2007, 12:18 PM
MWF
PassionFord Post Troll

I use Firefox during the day using Plus.net as an ISP. I never notice any issues.

If it was my call I'd bin 31 of the different sub-forums, starting with the muppet room. I'd give a forum based ASBO to anyone who has more than 10% of posts in the muppet room and direct them to a piece of software called Microsoft Messenger.
Old 22-05-2007, 12:45 PM
Katie

Originally Posted by Jade1
Definitely not computer related as I have 2 computers and a laptop and it's the same for all of them.
Its still slowwww for me too sadly at the moment?! I don't even use the same pcs/internet connections/towns sometimes....maybe some of us are just blacklisted

It's a lot slower than other sites for me when it is slow...but a lot faster when it isn't...so there's a big contrast.
Old 22-05-2007, 12:50 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Originally Posted by MWF
I use Firefox during the day using Plus.net as an ISP. I never notice any issues.

If it was my call I'd bin 31 of the different sub-forums, starting with the muppet room. I'd give a forum based ASBO to anyone who has more than 10% of posts in the muppet room and direct them to a piece of software called Microsoft Messenger.
Excellent reply
Old 22-05-2007, 01:36 PM
jamesw
PassionFord Regular

there are hundreds as busy mate, but Paul uses some as often as this one, which is pretty rare i expect so i was just wondering which they were. For example, if all the ones he uses for hours a day are in the UIK, or america, we could look at the UK - France link.

However, if they are also in France, we know the link across for him is perfcetly ok.

The fact that NOT EVERYONE has the same level of performance is concerning and not as easy to fix as if it were a simple server error.
Maybe its more down to the North/South divide, Its down to me being closer to France in the south therefore never get problems, he be oop norf like, he gets issues???
Old 22-05-2007, 01:39 PM
MWF
PassionFord Post Troll

"All those in favour of crumpets and tea say I"

"I"

"Fools there aint gonna be no crumpets and tea"
I also propose that a limit is put on how long you can log in for every 24hrs. I actually think that would be good for the sake of the country and the mental state of the various people who seem to genuinely live on here.

No offence to anyone but frankly I don't go to a site called PassionFord to read about someone's BMW, their children, their pets, their holiday, their new kitchen, what they are having for tea or what Christmas presents they had this year.

I also couldn't care the fuck less about what everyone here does for a job, their favourite colour or any other bits of social profiling that would make your average market researcher commit Harri Karri with their biro.

Basically my point is if you are taking pictures of shit in your life and sticking them on a car forum for people to reply to YOU'VE GONE TOO FAR.
Old 22-05-2007, 03:38 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

but it's all "banter" isn't it?

it's just as slow to load at work as it ever is, it's never faster or slower, each page always takes about 15 seconds to load as it's got to go to our main server oop and then to us down here

at home is when i seem to get the problems
and it's always on ie7
Old 22-05-2007, 04:08 PM
arkley

Surely it doesn't take the gold membership fee and the google ads to fund this site, especially if 'pet' has a hosting company it will be cheap as chips.
Old 22-05-2007, 04:15 PM
MWF
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by arkley
Surely it doesn't take the gold membership fee and the google ads to fund this site, especially if 'pet' has a hosting company it will be cheap as chips.
How have you come to that conclusion.

Have you worked out the frequency of how often users probably click on the Ad Sense links based on statistical data, established the total average revenue, then combined the total membership income by combing through the members lists tallying up all the gold members and traders, then sat refreshing the page to work out the advertising banner impressions and working out how often they are clicked on to establish all revenue. Then searched through the forum to find out total bandwidth use for the site and then starting up your own hosting company to establish just how much it actually costs to supply all that bandwidth at high speed?

Is that what you did?

Or are you just plucking ideas out of your arse?
Old 22-05-2007, 04:53 PM
Chris Honeywell

well speed is fine for me but i have had to log back in every couple of days now for a good few weeks.
Just had tolog backin like 5 mins ago
Old 22-05-2007, 04:54 PM
Chris Honeywell

well speed is fine for me but i have had to log back in every couple of days now for a good few weeks.
Just had to log back in like 5 mins ago

As you can see from my double post it went slow as i sent my post
Old 22-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 22-05-2007, 05:29 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DOO
The RSOC search function goes back almost 5 years without any probs
To be fair, so would ours with only 30 people browsing.

It was done to improve the issue we are having at peak traffic times and the solution mentioned above will fix that too.

Bear in mind we are talking about around 3hrs per 24hr day that we have reported issues, and not everyone is afflicted, so its hardly as bad as some of you seem to make out is it?

How slow is it now with 500 online? Mine is bloody rapid... but im sure some of you are going to tell me its dog slow.
Stu

Last line is where you say its ok for you
Old 22-05-2007, 05:29 PM
ECU Monitor Enthusiast
BANNED
BANNED

Super fast for me.

8mb BT Business Broadband
Old 22-05-2007, 05:46 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Random for me,

some days its perfect like most sites are other days its just dogshit takes ages to loads pages, logs me out, critical error etc more good then bad atm but the bad is still happening
Old 22-05-2007, 05:50 PM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

During the day it's quite fast for me, only slow in the evening (as mentioned before)

But I had problems with another site once. Was only slow for me, not for anyone else. Internet technology's quite complicated I guess. It's always possible that you have a bad connection to the data center where the forum is hosted while other people don't have a problem at all. Traffic jam on the data motorway or something the like...
Old 22-05-2007, 07:30 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its a fucking joke right now

Quick Reply: Problems STILL on Pf ,, is it now the norm