General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

F.A.O. MTB riders......

Search this Thread

Old 17-05-2007, 01:40 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default F.A.O. MTB riders......

I have just bought an MTB from Ebay. I wanted a fixed-frame 16" MTB of fairly decent quality and figured that I could buy something 2nd hand that would be better than what I could buy new, so went with that.

What I ended up with is a Voodoo Erzulie in Orange. It's condition isn't quite as good as the auction description led me to believe, so I want to give it a going over. I am really pleased with it though, it is VERY light!

It is going to be used for recreational purposes. Nothing heavy, I certainly aren't planning on doing hardcore forest trails on it etc. Infact, alot of it's use will be on the road, but I don't want to say that it will be exclusively that.

Anyway, I want to put a pair of tyres on it. What should I go for? I used to have a 26"x3" tyre on the rear of my old GT Karakoram years ago, but that was perhaps a little on the large side!! These rims are also fitted with much smaller valves than I have seen before? I presume I can buy an adaptor for a foot-pump to suit these?

I want to service all the hubs etc, so bought some grease last night. I think they just need cleaning and re-greasing.

Also, the Quick-Release fittings for the wheels each have a small conical spring on each end and one of these is damaged. Are they needed?

Being the fussy bastid that I am, I would like to replace the pedals too, as they are badly scuffed. What's best to use with normal footwear?

I don't want to spend a fortune, but would like to use bits that are right for that bike.

Any help appreciated.
Old 17-05-2007, 02:47 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There high pressure valves, i'd just go and buy a decent hand pump from a bike shop or halfrauds as you dont want to be carrying a foot pump about with you do you lol.

Dmr peddles are good like a bmx style pedal.

Not sure if the springs are needed, i think there just there to push the nit bit away from the wheels whe you undue it if you see what i mean.

Ps i'm a little out of touch with the mtb scene tbh so i could be wrong lol
Old 17-05-2007, 02:52 PM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Will this be at brunters for a top speed run soon ?
Old 17-05-2007, 02:52 PM
slowpoke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone here use or know anyone that uses memory map ?

Matt

p.s sorry to hijack
Old 17-05-2007, 03:57 PM
sbd16v
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i really dont like the springs so always remove them

pedal's i run some easton alloy ones they are very good and there a flat type pedal so perfect for normal footwear about 50-60 quid thou o not to cheap

as mentioned dmr's are a good pedal to use they do 2 types v8's that have normal bearings and v12's that have sealed caridges
Old 17-05-2007, 05:06 PM
Moose
Part of the Furniture

i want a bike again i sold my identiti dr jekyll cos i needed money, dmr pedals are good for normal trainers, i think i had 26x2.75 tyres not too sure but they seemed plenty wide enough
Old 17-05-2007, 05:18 PM
89xr2
Brap!

I've probably got a spring you can have for the quick release. I'm sure i've got a few laying around.

The hubs will most likely be sealed cartridge bearing so shouldnt need anything more than a clean.

Dmr's are good but will wreck your shins if you slip a peddle.

Something like a 2.3 tyre will be fine. Anything bigger and it's not really needed.

Get a decent track pump for the valves. Or just buy new tubes when you get the tyres and drill out your valve holes on your rims.

If you need the wheels straightened/trued at all I can get them done by a DTswiss accredited wheel builder for a really good price (i think a fiver a wheel) your brother knows the guy who would be doing it as well so could drop them off for you.

Trending Topics

Old 17-05-2007, 05:25 PM
jumpin jack crash
its a gas gas gas

u can get a adapter for the tire valves from any shop.

DMR v12 pedals, there expensive at Ł50 compared to the Ł25 for the v8 pedals but they'll last a lifetime.

what sort of ring are you doing with 3" wide tires i never even went that bad with my downhill bike.

for tires any maxxis, tioga, michelin i would go for. or there is the dmr tires (forgot the name) but they are basically 26" bmx tires which will be perfect for road riding.

as for the springs in the quick realease, i would keep them. you will end up bending the skewers for fiun if there not in there. trust me ive done it loads before lol
Old 17-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Redeye Jedi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by 89XR2
I've probably got a spring you can have for the quick release. I'm sure i've got a few laying around.

The hubs will most likely be sealed cartridge bearing so shouldnt need anything more than a clean.

Dmr's are good but will wreck your shins if you slip a peddle.

Something like a 2.3 tyre will be fine. Anything bigger and it's not really needed.

Get a decent track pump for the valves. Or just buy new tubes when you get the tyres and drill out your valve holes on your rims.

If you need the wheels straightened/trued at all I can get them done by a DTswiss accredited wheel builder for a really good price (i think a fiver a wheel) your brother knows the guy who would be doing it as well so could drop them off for you.
Christian! This man has all the information you require!
Old 17-05-2007, 05:42 PM
boXXer
GASH!

Coming from a cycle shop manager/workshop guy.....

Why is everyone saying 2.3's for this time of year? Maybe in the winter, but apart from that they are pointless unless your doing freeride/DH'ing.

Get some Panaracer Fire XC Pro, 2.1". They are EASILY the best tyre ive ever used, and i even use them on my slalom bike as they are MUCH better than any other 2.1. (i can supply these )

Depending on the hubs you have, if they are mid-range stuff (i.e, shimano Deore) they will not be sealed bearings, so a clean up and re-lube is all that is needed. Just make sure you dont overtighten the cones, or they will die very quickly.

Also, SOD that valve adapter crap! just get a 8.5mm drill bit, and make it bigger, then you can stick Shraeder Valves in it.

The idea of the 2 springs on the QR is to centralise it when re-installing the wheel into the fork/frame. Makes things easier, but they are'nt needed.

Best pedals for normal shoes would be DMR V8's (normal cup and cone bearings) or V12 (fully sealed units). They CAN NOT be beaten IMO.

If ya need anything, give me a shout.
Old 17-05-2007, 05:48 PM
89xr2
Brap!

Are V8's not a bit grippy for normal riding? I used to only run v8's on my mountain bikes and bmx's but they absolutely wrecked my shoes.

Personally if I was you Christian i'd get a set of Welgo MG1 magenesium pedals. I've had mine for ages on my bmx and they take a pounding. And both of them weigh less than one v8
Old 17-05-2007, 05:51 PM
boXXer
GASH!

Not really. They stop your feet moving about when pedalling hard. When a customer buys something like a Rockhopper, we change the pedals to V8's (as they come with shimano SPD's), and ALL of them say they are MUCH better than using other pin type pedals. They arent too bad for tearing shoes apart really.

We sell the wellgo Mags, and they are a good pedal for the money. Just not as good as DMR's.
Old 17-05-2007, 06:01 PM
89xr2
Brap!

Originally Posted by boXXer
Not really. They stop your feet moving about when pedalling hard. When a customer buys something like a Rockhopper, we change the pedals to V8's (as they come with shimano SPD's), and ALL of them say they are MUCH better than using other pin type pedals. They arent too bad for tearing shoes apart really.

We sell the wellgo Mags, and they are a good pedal for the money. Just not as good as DMR's.
My wellgo's have lasted longer than dmr's have for me. I think i've just been lucky though as other people have smashed the cages quite easily. I guess riding a bmx with dmr's probably does more damage to your shoes than a mountain bike as you move your feet around alot.

Dmr's are still great pedals though. And v8's are definitely worth every penny. Although the new gusset pedals are extremely good value for money. Probably even more so than v8's.
Old 17-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Thanks for your replies everyone. I just need a few minutes to digest it all now!!

Then I will be back with more questions.

89XR2, the front wheel at leasts needs a litte straightening, so that guy you know sounds like the plan.....
Old 17-05-2007, 06:34 PM
Redeye Jedi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Let me know if you want the wheel(s) dropped off!
Old 17-05-2007, 06:48 PM
boXXer
GASH!

i can do the wheels to (i have a wheel building cert), but i think your too far from me.
Old 17-05-2007, 07:08 PM
codey47
PassionFord Regular

do continental still do MTB tyres?
i've still got my snake bite protected tyres...i bought then 9 years ago and never rode it again...and they are still brand new
used to ride everywhere on it
Old 17-05-2007, 07:17 PM
SteveB
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've got some virtually slick road tyres (pumped to 110psi) on mine as it's 99% of the time used on road..... If I wanna pop out for some trail riding I just put the off road tyres back on. Imo if you are riding mostly on road get road tyres as it's much easier and quieter.

Steve
Old 17-05-2007, 07:44 PM
Rolls
PassionFord Post Troll

Coming from a cycle shop manager/workshop guy.....

Why is everyone saying 2.3's for this time of year? Maybe in the winter, but apart from that they are pointless unless your doing freeride/DH'ing.

Get some Panaracer Fire XC Pro, 2.1". They are EASILY the best tyre ive ever used, and i even use them on my slalom bike as they are MUCH better than any other 2.1. (i can supply these )
Ditto - thats whats going back on the Yeti for Wales next week! - Can't wait
Old 17-05-2007, 07:47 PM
slowpoke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

has anyone ever done llandegla before ?

once my fitness is up to a less pathetic level im going with my mates
Old 17-05-2007, 08:01 PM
pollocks
Advanced PassionFord User

any one do downhilling on here as thats what i do ?
Old 17-05-2007, 08:53 PM
jumpin jack crash
its a gas gas gas

Originally Posted by pollocks
any one do downhilling on here as thats what i do ?
used to a few yrs back but got too expensive. was anapping intense frames for fun
Old 18-05-2007, 06:45 AM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

Some good posts, my 2c:

3" tyres = huge and for recreational I would prob go no bigger than a 2.1 as boxxer suggested. I used to run Panaracer and Notos XC tyres which were both ace. The Notos were my personal favourite. If it is recreational as well, you don't want to have to change tyres for different seasons and run bigger in the drier months with smaller in the winter.

Pedals - No idea on as have always used clipless

Valves - As others have said are Presta most likely and are higher pressure. More commonly found on Road bikes that run a higher PSI but are still found aplenty on MTB's. I run them on mine. With regards to a pump, most good pumps that are like the detonator box style (handle you push down) will have a reversable grommit inside that you can switch between Schraeder and Presta. You may not actually need to drill the rim, do you have a rubber grommit around the base of the valve in the rim? If so pop this out as it is a filler to enable Presta valves to fit in a Schrader rim and is the same as I run.

The spring isnt needed on the lever side (not ideal but isnt crucial) but most bike shops have them kicking around the floor so cost peanuts.

Hope this helps.
Old 18-05-2007, 08:44 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

How about these??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Continental-Va...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 18-05-2007, 08:51 AM
codey47
PassionFord Regular

good tyres and yes they are still going
Old 18-05-2007, 08:57 AM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
Yes good tyres, I used to run Continental XC in my earlier days. They were quite hard wearing too.
Old 18-05-2007, 09:25 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

So, are we definately saying 2.3 is overkill??
Old 18-05-2007, 09:32 AM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
So, are we definately saying 2.3 is overkill??
I would keep at 2.1 max to cope for all conditions in general, year round. There are also plenty available for the 1.9-2.1 size so would be inclined to avoid the 2.3's. That said, 2.3 isnt vastly bigger than 2.1 but defo avoid the 3.0's IMO.
Old 18-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Rolls
PassionFord Post Troll

Agree with the above - if you are going to be doing a lot of road riding you will ntoice the difference in 2.3's over 2.1's
Old 18-05-2007, 10:19 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

as for DMR's the V8's are Ł20 and the V12's are Ł40 online

so not that expensive

Old 18-05-2007, 10:24 AM
jumpin jack crash
its a gas gas gas

these are the pedals i use. rather expensive but they grip to ur feet like super glue

the atomic corp classic pedal

http://www.go-ride.com/prod_pedals.html
Old 18-05-2007, 01:29 PM
boXXer
GASH!

Originally Posted by saff_cossie
Some good posts, my 2c:

3" tyres = huge and for recreational I would prob go no bigger than a 2.1 as boxxer suggested. I used to run Panaracer and Notos XC tyres which were both ace. The Notos were my personal favourite. If it is recreational as well, you don't want to have to change tyres for different seasons and run bigger in the drier months with smaller in the winter.

Pedals - No idea on as have always used clipless

Valves - As others have said are Presta most likely and are higher pressure. More commonly found on Road bikes that run a higher PSI but are still found aplenty on MTB's. I run them on mine. With regards to a pump, most good pumps that are like the detonator box style (handle you push down) will have a reversable grommit inside that you can switch between Schraeder and Presta. You may not actually need to drill the rim, do you have a rubber grommit around the base of the valve in the rim? If so pop this out as it is a filler to enable Presta valves to fit in a Schrader rim and is the same as I run.

The spring isnt needed on the lever side (not ideal but isnt crucial) but most bike shops have them kicking around the floor so cost peanuts.

Hope this helps.
The pumps are called "track pumps". 90% of them actually have a "smart head" which basically have 2 different sized holes, for both valves.

Also, with the QR spring thing, you either run both, or none at all. If you just put the spring on one side, it pushes against the hub, and makes the QR a bastard to get into the dropout. Just take them both off or get another. Much easier.
Old 18-05-2007, 01:31 PM
slowpoke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

wheres my PM boxxer lol

matt the impatient mofo lol

matt
Old 18-05-2007, 01:31 PM
boXXer
GASH!

Originally Posted by jumpin jack crash
these are the pedals i use. rather expensive but they grip to ur feet like super glue

ive broken 4 pairs of aircorps!
Old 18-05-2007, 01:38 PM
boXXer
GASH!

Originally Posted by slowpoke
wheres my PM boxxer lol

matt the impatient mofo lol

matt
Old 18-05-2007, 01:45 PM
jumpin jack crash
its a gas gas gas

Originally Posted by jumpin jack crash

ive broken 4 pairs of aircorps!
yeh ive got a broken pairr of the originals in my toolbox, bearing blew up lol, been told this was due to the bushes they used. but got another pair with the "new" style bushes in and theyve lasted 3 years

best pedal for grip ive ever used
Old 18-05-2007, 01:54 PM
boXXer
GASH!

this was about a year ago, and i snapped 3 axles.

On the last warranty pair, i put them into stock here, and took some V12's instead.
Old 18-05-2007, 01:57 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Spot on everyone. Thanks for all your help.

So, it looks like I will leave the Inner Tubes as they are. Buy the Continental 26x2.1 Tyres from Halfords as they seem roughly on par price-wise.....

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...tegoryrn_31420

Also, the DMR V8's.....

http://www.simplythebike.co.uk/produ...roducts_id=121

I will then get Neil/89XR2's mate to straighten the wheels and I will give it a good once over, I bought some Teflon grease. I will get a pump sorted, then hopefully I can have a go on it!!
Old 18-05-2007, 01:58 PM
jumpin jack crash
its a gas gas gas

must be your "lead foot" mike

will have to get my bike down to you at some point fella. need my gears/brakes sorted. aint got the patience for them these days

can you get hold of a thomson seat post in 30.0 size. ive seen them on ebay (us version) but always second hand. and a azonic shorty stem 50m in black and azonic bars as well 2" riser.

cheers fella
Old 18-05-2007, 02:00 PM
boXXer
GASH!

Or its cos im a fat bastard

yes mate, can get all for ya. Drop it in.

Quick Reply: F.A.O. MTB riders......