General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

This Is England

Search this Thread

Old 14-05-2007, 10:47 AM
stonehavencossie
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This Is England

Watched this last night.

After seeing the adverts/press stuff i thought this was just a film about skin heads going around fighting. Then i noticed Shaun Meadows was the director and instantly wanted to see it as i knew there would be more to it. Any one else that has seen any of his other films particularly 'Dead mans shoes' will know what im talking about.

Anyway, what a fantastic film as i thought. Had me gripped from start to finish. Some hilarious scenes which had me wondering if it was a feel good film but you could feel something simmering underneath. A nasty ending but all in the right context. The young lad who plays Shaun (tomas turgoose) deserves all the credit hes being given but for me Stephen Graham stole the show as the 'bad guy'.

Top top film
Old 14-05-2007, 10:53 AM
Franco
10K+ Poster!!

Dead Man's Shoes is a classic movie, one of the best English films i've ever watched!
Old 14-05-2007, 11:28 AM
Hardeep_Singh
PassionFord Post Troll

saw this last week, just shows you how stupid the NF skinheads are!!!!
Old 14-05-2007, 01:01 PM
stonehavencossie

Originally Posted by Hardeep_Singh
i though there was only a few characters that were genuinely stupid or racist and that is what was trying to be portraid in the film ?

they were a group of nice young kids that liked to dress up and be proud of being british until the bad guy got outta prison and it all went tits up with racism and violence ?
Old 14-05-2007, 03:36 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stonehavencossie
i though there was only a few characters that were genuinely stupid or racist and that is what was trying to be portraid in the film ?

they were a group of nice young kids that liked to dress up and be proud of being british until the bad guy got outta prison and it all went tits up with racism and violence ?

Yeh basically...

It also had a tone of people moved on in different ways while he was in prison. His bird went off with the "new leader" of the gang. Which wasn't really a gang just a bunch of lads who looked out for each other.

Good film......
Old 14-05-2007, 03:40 PM
righthooker
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Been wanting to watch this,sounds a little similar to American History X.

I watched that at the cinema about 10 years ago i Germany(Leipzig) and some stupi Natzi skins got up and left after the rape scene in the showers
Old 14-05-2007, 06:57 PM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Watched it last night, thought it was spot on and so did the misses. Piss funny that little kid wearing flares though
Think it dealt with the issue great and in my opinion the scene where he drew the line on the floor was the key to the whole film, i.e. beliefs are on thing but you've got to draw a line somewhere. Been English and proud is one thing, been English and ignorant is another.
Old 14-05-2007, 07:07 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by righthooker
Been wanting to watch this,sounds a little similar to American History X.

I watched that at the cinema about 10 years ago i Germany(Leipzig) and some stupi Natzi skins got up and left after the rape scene in the showers

It is in no way anyway near American History X- which is one of my fav films... this way different....
Old 14-05-2007, 10:06 PM
Hardeep_Singh
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by stonehavencossie
i know mate hence why i said nf skinheads and not skinheads in general
Old 15-05-2007, 12:39 AM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Some of the content is good if you're into those violent type and gangster films but the actual film quality is quite poor. Its like a violent episode of eastenders.
Old 15-05-2007, 07:45 AM
smokey
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Default Real skins

This was a reflection of the Skinheads of the time.....Real Skins wouldn't be that scruffy....

We used to call them boneheads and had massive rucks with them at coastal resorts.....
Old 15-05-2007, 08:01 AM
PF Ben
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't wait to see this Well into the skinhead / rude boy / ska history (my mum was heavily into desmond dekker and the mod / rude boy scene so got bought up with it from an early age!).

love all the clothes, and am brave enough to wear them sometimes!

When I first saw the trailer for it I said to the missus I really hope it doesn't come from the warped, wrong stereotype of the skinhead movement. Sounds like it gives both sides of the story though - will have to pop and see it at the weekend

Edited to say, just looked at a film review and it's set in '83. I like the fashion and ideals of the late '60s-mid-'70s more. And the actors DO look scruffy!

Ben
Old 15-05-2007, 09:16 AM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i saw it last week and loved it! did anyone find the ending a bit abrupt though?! i was there thinking there was another 10 or 15 mins of the film left and was eager to see what was gonna happen with the black fella and the one who beat him up, but he just chucks the flag in the sea and thats it!

i was in tears at some points, the lad who played shaun was brilliant i thought, hes got a good career ahead of him i recon!!

that woody fella reminds me of someone i know from up in stoke too but cant rmember who
Old 15-05-2007, 09:23 AM
stonehavencossie

Originally Posted by skeg
Some of the content is good if you're into those violent type and gangster films but the actual film quality is quite poor. Its like a violent episode of eastenders.
thats strange because there was no real violence till the end and there was absolutely nothing to do with gangsters as such in it ?

you sure it was the same film matey ?
Old 15-05-2007, 09:33 AM
Cawood
PassionFord Post Whore!!

seen it, quality film, that young kid makes the film, funny little shit
Old 15-05-2007, 02:18 PM
thecrust

Not seen it yet, but have heard a lot about it - part of the school scenes were filmed where I work too, so I got to see that cracking off last summer.