General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

I hope the neighbours have ear plugs

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 02:37 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice
Old 12-05-2007, 03:17 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i dont know nothing about amps but you dont need a brain to work out which one is better
Old 12-05-2007, 04:01 PM
Graham S1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not much difference in sound then..
Old 12-05-2007, 04:13 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

plug your stereo into it for the REAL full effect

now i hope you got a real les paul to play though that and not some eppiphone or other bolt on neck shite guitar
Old 12-05-2007, 04:16 PM
mk1_orion_boy
PassionFord Regular

Nice, Does it go up to 11?

Trending Topics

Old 12-05-2007, 04:23 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

pikey

buy a real les paul as you NEVER loose value on them

ive got a les paul that i bought in 93 for school guitar lessons

cost my old man a grand cause its a orange sunburst and had gold hardware then i used my pocket money to buy new pickups and silver hard wear so it looked like slashes of guns and roses

still cant play it for shite though

looks the bollox in my mums bedroom in the hard case where its been since 97 and ive NEVER touched it

wont take it to my flat as ill kill it though i have considered mounting it on the wall but worried about bending the neck or dropping it and breaking it

its prob the only thing ive got left worth value in my life
Old 12-05-2007, 05:12 PM
BlueSmoke
PassionFord's crazy fool!

Awesome stuff matey. I have a nice big Vox amp form the 80's, proper hard rocking piece of kit
Old 12-05-2007, 06:00 PM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

my noise makers....................
turn it up to 11.........................
Old 12-05-2007, 06:17 PM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

sorry, i havn't got a real one either.................epi's have set necks by the way and if u go on guitar web sites epi's are praised highley and sometimes favoured............... ........but why is a man that cant play telling people what to buy......................
Old 12-05-2007, 07:23 PM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

u can get them cheaper on the web,but i went to "sound control" mine was up for Ł350.........but i got it for Ł300......at least if anything is wrong u can go back to a shop,u cant on the net..............and u get to play it first
Old 13-05-2007, 10:12 AM
Graham S1
PassionFord Post Troll

what sort of stuff do you play Matt?
Old 13-05-2007, 11:28 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

I am pondering whether to have another go at guitar. I started playing 10-odd years ago but never really got into it as my love was drums. Now I have anew house where I can't fit my drums, I might have a go at guitar again....

If I do then I am getting one of these;

Mesa Engineering Dual Rectifier - 2x12 combo Such a superb amp

Fuck know whats guitar it will be tho - I'm also a lefty so choice is limited, plus whilst I love the sound, tone, and looks of the Les Pauls, I am not keen on the feel of them But Strats are boring.....
Old 13-05-2007, 12:34 PM
smudge_lad
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mesa Boogie amps are the baws!!! I played through a stack version a while ago and it was just awesome!!

I have the head and cabinet version of the Marshall on here, love it! But what kind of effects pedal would you want? There are tons on the amp, admittedley you don't have as many settings as you would on the pedal.

I've got a couple of modded distortion pedals, and a cry baby wah, and don't feel the need for much else

I have an Epiphone Les Paul Special Edition, and find very little difference between this and a modern Gibson
Old 13-05-2007, 12:44 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Smudge - damn right, and one thing I really love about Mesa amps is their distortion sound - big fat heavy as fuck sound

Couple that with a tubescreamer for stupidly ear piercing harmonics and solo's and you're sorted

I would love the Rectifier head with a 2x12 cab but it's bucks! And the 4x12 cab is even more!!!!

Old 13-05-2007, 01:29 PM
ricky_3dr
Advanced PassionFord User

Fookin glad i don't live anywhere near ya, ya noisey cooooont
Old 13-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by ricky_3dr
Fookin glad i don't live anywhere near ya, ya noisey cooooont
Good thing you don't live near these either

Old 13-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Thing is Matt - some people just have a natural ability at some things, and some don't. I have a natural ability at drums, as in I could play and was playing live well before I decided to take lessons (lessons was to learn what everything meant, and also to hone on what I already knew) but with guitar I just don't have the "knack" with it.

And the way I see it, unless you have this natural ability then you will never be Slash, or Dave Gilmour, or Kirk Hammet, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, John Petrucci, etc..... So in that respect I have already given up mentally as I know I will never be like these people....

Drums on the other hand I know I can do it, so I DO do it....
Old 13-05-2007, 04:00 PM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

play for fun then...............
Old 13-05-2007, 04:04 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Oh I do - thats the only reason I play. I stopped playing live (drums) many years ago, and other than a couple of guest appearences here n there filling in for people and a few studio spots, I haven't played outside my house for years n years...

But I am one of those that unless it's perfect (or near perfect) then it's not worth doing (IMO). I get very frustrated when I can't do something, and playing the same 5 or 6 songs and the odd lick here n there get boring VERY quickly to me!
Old 13-05-2007, 04:17 PM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

take it u havn't got a cosworth then..........
Old 13-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

No Had two S1 RST tho - they were enough to put me off old Fords for life
Old 13-05-2007, 04:30 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

I'm in the same cack, sorry, I mean LEFT-handed boat as you....

I want this one tho! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Left-Handed-Le...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 13-05-2007, 04:32 PM
The Sludge
garibaldi

I'm soooo glad none of you are my neighbours I guess tho that being detatched it wouldnt be a problem....you supply the entertainment and ill do the bbq
Old 13-05-2007, 05:04 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
Thing is Matt - some people just have a natural ability at some things, and some don't.

And the way I see it, unless you have this natural ability then you will never be Slash, or Dave Gilmour, or Kirk Hammet, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, John Petrucci, etc..... So in that respect I have already given up mentally as I know I will never be like these people....

Absolute bollocks in my opinion mate. Yes some people pick up things quicker than some other people but Slash and Wylde for example are great because they not only picked up guitar at a young age but also put in 12 hours a day. Wylde is a guitar icon who used to fall asleep at school because of playing all night, Slash at first picked up his grans 1 stringed accoustic and again put in the hours.

Vai is known for his 10 hours work outs just to warm up/practice alone. Do you think Ronnie O'sullivan would be as good if he didn't have a snooker table in his house at 10 and use it?

You don't get anywhere without practice and those virtuoso guitarists like Satriani, Petrucci and Vai etc just practice more than anyone else. IE the ones who are iconic guitarists more because they were in a big band as well, like Slash, Page, Kirk etc. Kirk had some scale lessons with Joe Satriani. So hes not that natural is he.

Anyone who plays/has played an instrument for a long time then puts it down for ages would lose it a bit or get rusty even if they don't notice it, just as you get better if you have a period where you put in even more extra hours. Its not how many years you played for its hour many hours in that time!

Matt J, nice amp.
Old 13-05-2007, 05:10 PM
jumpin jack crash
its a gas gas gas

nice amp
Old 13-05-2007, 05:32 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by skeg
Originally Posted by Thrush
Thing is Matt - some people just have a natural ability at some things, and some don't.

Absolute bollocks in my opinion mate. Yes some people pick up things quicker than some other people but Slash and Wylde for example are great because they not only picked up guitar at a young age but also put in 12 hours a day. Wylde is a guitar icon who used to fall asleep at school because of playing all night, Slash at first picked up his grans 1 stringed accoustic and again put in the hours.

Vai is known for his 10 hours work outs just to warm up/practice alone. Do you think Ronnie O'sullivan would be as good if he didn't have a snooker table in his house at 10 and use it?

You don't get anywhere without practice and those virtuoso guitarists like Satriani, Petrucci and Vai etc just practice more than anyone else. IE the ones who are iconic guitarists more because they were in a big band as well, like Slash, Page, Kirk etc. Kirk had some scale lessons with Joe Satriani. So hes not that natural is he.

Anyone who plays/has played an instrument for a long time then puts it down for ages would lose it a bit or get rusty even if they don't notice it, just as you get better if you have a period where you put in even more extra hours. Its not how many years you played for its hour many hours in that time!

Matt J, nice amp.
We've had this conversation before I think, and no it's not bollocks. I am not saying that none of the above have to practice or have to work at it, or even didn't have to learn, but there are some people, no matter how much they try, learn, practice will ever become like the greats mentioned above, and yes, there is such thing as natural ability. You either have it or you don't. My old man has a natural ability at playing the piano and organ - I don't. How do I know? For 8yrs I tried to learn it, putting in as much time has he did. I just don't have the natural ability for it.

You can teach virtually anyone to play an instrument, but some will be better than others, and some will never quite get it.

Take the White brothers - Alan and Steve. Alan White was the original drummer for Oasis, and Steve made his name playing with the Syle Council and Paul Weller. I know both pretty well. Both will tell you that Alan has a natural talent from drums and Steve had to put in over twice the ammount of hourse practicing and learning that Alan did. Alan could go weeks at a time with out playing then jump right in and play like he had only stopped playing yesterday. Steve had to work at it and work at it to stay on top.

So you take Slash and another random kid of the same age and if they both spent just as long on the guitar practising and learning, I would bet you my house that Slash would still become better, and the other kid wouldn't be anywhere near him by now.

Another good example is the two guitarists I was in a band with - both were very close friends of mine who I knew inside out. Both will tell you that the lead guitarist had a natural ability for the guitar greater than the rhythm guitarist - hence why he was the lead. He could pull solo's out of thin air and play most things after often just one or two listens. The other guy couldn't.

What instrument do you play?
Old 13-05-2007, 05:40 PM
jumpin jack crash
its a gas gas gas

Tony McCarroll was actually the original drummer for oasis LOL

i agree with what you say tho. natural talent helps a lot. playing drums tho you also need rhythm so i been told or it just dont happen.

i played football to quite a high standard and was "naturally gifted" with a ball. i hardly play anymore but i know that whenever i do put on a pair of boots i can still play to a high level. a few of my mates play sat league/semi pro and i can hold my own with these guys.
Old 13-05-2007, 07:56 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Thrush- Nah i don't think we have discussed it before, that was a topic about GnR. You were telling me how guns are no way near as good with Buckethead and i argued differen't as i had seen them with the new lineup as well. I think you then went on to tell me all about how your musical knowledge and touring or something overrules me. Even though you don't play guitar. My part of the debate was that yes he was different and lacked that same style but he was technically better and made it it a great gig still. Some people though came to love Slash and co and would never be convinced.

As for this topic, lots of people out there are better than Slash that will never be famous, they just haven't had the breaks or opportunities or simply don't want to make a career out of it. Are you seriously telling me if 1000 people played guitar since 14/15 like Slash for 12 hours a day they wouldn't be capable of being in a decent band? Of course they would. Some musicians in bands are actually known for being crap tecnically but just happen to be in that band. Slash was turned away from Guns n Roses after they advertised for a guitarist when young but they had him in the end as he kept turning up. Imagine if they didn't have him.

For me the credit for those musicians is because they practised for that amount of time, that is serious dedication and not many can do that. Not for half a day or more, even when young without commitments and that is why they are greats. Ever single one of them has worked their balls of for it. The virtuoso guitarists, (buckethead, Vai, Yngwie, Satch) put even more time in but aren't as famous as those in a big band due to solo guitar albums not being as popular. But they are technically better and that is due to the methods they use and time they practice. Someone like Slash in his prime GnR time would be doing Mr brownstone and Jack Daniels half the day whilst some of the virtuosos would be locked in a room or studio practising things. Many people say similar about Jimmy Page, that at a certain stage of his career when on heroin his playing was sloppy and not as good as before.

Matt J- the commentators do always say that your right but not one snooker player plays the same out of the time they spend nor do they practice the same way or divide that time to each practice thing the same. No one picks up a cue or guitar and plays amazingly. How do the commentators know what hes done in his childhood or spare time? The comment based on what they see at the time, young or old thats it. They see brilliance so they say those things based on his fast 147's and attacking play but other areas of his game are not as great as other players, like safety play. John higgins is better at that, maybe he spent more of the time he had on that area than Ronnie did. Everyone praticises differently. Some ways or schedules will pay of more than others.

Unless you get a group of people in a lab and make sure they do the same thing and spend the exact same time you can't say its natural ability but people do as a way to describe someone amazing at it or genius. Even if their was 1 that processed that ability the difference wouldn't me that massive, not bearing in mind the time we are talking about putting in here. Which is probably more than most sleep.

Quick Reply: I hope the neighbours have ear plugs