General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

tattoo's a serious question/s

Search this Thread

Old 16-04-2007, 08:54 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts
Default tattoo's a serious question/s

first up, i know what i want to have and i know wehre i want to have them and yes, i'm allowed to have them where i want them and it's nothing offensive and i've even cleared it with my boss at work so no questions baout not getting it done if i want to, but her are the questions
i'm after 2 names in small letters on my arm, nothing fancy, probably about 16 point ariel in real terms, nothing more than that

first up how much does it cost depending on what you want done?
is there a basic price for a few letters?
does it depend on the size?
or the time taken?
or the ink used?
or the intracacy of the design?
or the colour?
how long does it take?
weeks?
days?
minutes?
hours?
do i need to go back?
what if things go wrong?
what if i get a bad reaction?
will it look hideous for ever?
what do i need to look for in a tattoo parlour?
who is good?
and who is bad?
how do i know?
how can i tell?
is there a list of professional tattoo artists?
are they regulated?
can i catch anything from the needles?
am i getting to paranoid?
do i need to be scared?

idealy what i'm loking for is someone to say "no, it don't hurt a lot, it takes about 15 minutes, once it's done you can get all sorted in a matter of days, job done" but i can't really believe it's going to be that easy, or is it?

thanking you in advance
Old 16-04-2007, 08:58 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you only want small names, should be able to do them in one sitting, price varies, some do by the hour, some do by the tattoo, there not cheap, and tbh it doesnt hurt, it stings a little bit at first, but you soon forget about it, and depending where you get the tat depends on the level of pain aswell, i have one that took over 2 and half hours on my leg, hardly felt it, i have one on my finger that took 15 mins, and that was the worst pain wise, becasue there isnt a great deal of flesh, but still, it didnt hurt.
Old 16-04-2007, 09:03 PM
focusbird
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could do with finding someone local who's had one done.

The cost will depend on the size, design and colour, I shouldn't think two small words will cost you much and won't take too long either.

The tattooist I went to in Macclesfield was bright and clean, if it'd been darky and dirty looking I've walked back out.

Originally Posted by dojj
will it look hideous for ever?
Probably, they all do eventually, but if you're thinking that now maybe you shouldn't be having one
Old 16-04-2007, 09:12 PM
dojj

i've thought about it for several years and i have always wanted to have the kids names tattoo'd on my body somewhere, now i've found the spot which i like the best, i've even had them put on with marker just to see what they'd look like but now i'm thinking that i'm sensible enough for it not to be somehting that i'll regret

i'm just thinking of what colour to do them in now, either black or blue is the only thing that i've still to decide upon
Old 16-04-2007, 09:59 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont rush into it,, decide and go from there

i spent AGES thinking about if i should get a tattoo or not,,,, i went with a mate who got a portrait of his kids on his shoulder blade ( hes got big shoulders though ) and i was there for AGES, so i asked the other bloke about ideas, he drew a few and i chose one, he drawn it on some sort of transfer and stuck it on me, i said thats the one and ill be back,,,, my mate decided that cause i was waiting for so long ( 4 hours at this point and still not finished) he told the bloke to do it and he paied,,,, what a offer,,, so there i went and got it done

missus wasnt as impressed though as i only popped up to see my mate and help him fit his stereo,,,,, but i came back with a tattoo

gonna get mine finished when i decide what i want,,,, but im not gonna go all tattoo mental as some go

you WONT regret your kids name though !!! mines on my forearm but you cant see it as its where my elbow is so hidden most the time unless im walking away from you
Old 16-04-2007, 11:10 PM
TrevCannon
PassionFord Post Troll

Im getting this soon

abit smaller tho.. still coming up the neck as it does but only coming down the arm barely touching round the elbow area. fcuk knows how much it will be!

Old 17-04-2007, 12:29 AM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Default Re: tattoo's a serious question/s

first up how much does it cost depending on what you want done? Normally depends on time I've found
is there a basic price for a few letters? Yeah
does it depend on the size? can do, ie: back piece
or the time taken? as above
or the ink used? as above
or the intracacy of the design? as above
or the colour? as above
how long does it take? How long is a piece of string, depends what your having, and whos doing it.. ALL varies imo
weeks?
days?
minutes?
hours? As above ^^
do i need to go back? Might have to if it takes longer than a few hours, as you will go numb
what if things go wrong? Your fucked
what if i get a bad reaction? Go to the doctors, Chances are , you wont...
will it look hideous for ever? Depends what you have.. Something like the " taz " devil will.. IMO though!
what do i need to look for in a tattoo parlour? that the place is clean!!
who is good? Where abouts are you..
and who is bad? As above
how do i know? Look and ask around..Ask a random in the street who has a tattoo, Done it a few times
how can i tell? You'll just know..
is there a list of professional tattoo artists? Buy Tattoo Mag
are they regulated? ???
can i catch anything from the needles? Make sure they use clean ones!
am i getting to paranoid? I think so..
do i need to be scared? No
Old 17-04-2007, 06:10 AM
mark
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.flamineight.co.uk/

where om going next for my new tat and a etting my old one sorted as its faded a bit now
Old 17-04-2007, 07:55 AM
HOT RGB
Regular Contributor

No they are not regulated, therefore go on how long been established and reputation and yes it DOES hurt!, but bareable!

Rich
Old 17-04-2007, 08:01 AM
Graham S1
PassionFord Post Troll

really does depend on the tattooist. Check out as many places as possible, or get recommendations from friends with tats.

For anyone anywhere near High Wycombe, Woodies, is the only place to go. Had a large shoulder piece done (3 hrs ), 10 years ago, and still looks fantastic today, all the colour still there, and the black has only faded ever so slightly.

Whereas my wifes tattoo, (small one, two snakes wrapped round each other) done by some bloke in Aylesbury, doesn't look too good these days, and really needs redoing.
Old 17-04-2007, 08:03 AM
nilrem
STOP!... Carry on

it needs to be somewhere with a good reputation, clean and have a health and safety cert. ... best way is to either ask around, or visit your local ones to see what they are like.

as with the design, not all tattooists will do custom designs so check up on that, but if they do, it will be worth talking the design and placement over with them... get their oppinion, after all they will probably have done them for a long time! it is yours, but its allways nice to get an impartial view... if your family is anything like mine, they would tell you that a cock tattoo on your forehead is "nice"...
Old 17-04-2007, 08:56 AM
Kia_Breizzze
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Default Re: tattoo's a serious question/s

first up how much does it cost depending on what you want done? depends on the tattooist
is there a basic price for a few letters? my tattooist starts from £40 for a "small" piece (about 1.5"x1.5" 1 color + black)
does it depend on the size? from my tattooist - yes
or the time taken? size and time are really proportion to a degree so yes this does make a difference
or the ink used? yes, some inks are more expensive, especially the newer metallics and pastels
or the intracacy of the design? again this is part of time and size
or the colour? this is down to inks used. If you mean number of colors then the more colors used the more equipment used and so the greater the price
how long does it take? you can't rush perfection!
weeks? days? minutes? hours?usually hours. a small piece maybe be an hour ish, a full back piece may be done in several sittings of 4-6 hours+
do i need to go back? [b]not for a small piece, although I had my first tatt recolored about 7-8 months after it was done
what if things go wrong? your tattooist will give you a care card
what if i get a bad reaction? again your tattooist should discuss this with you before getting it done
will it look hideous for ever? why are you considering getting one of you think it looks hideous? All of my tatts mean something. They are a marker of who Iwas and where I was at a given point in my life.
what do i need to look for in a tattoo parlour? cleanliness, hygiene, helpful staff, etc
who is good? the boys at color me custom in banbury are ace - can't fault 'em =)
and who is bad? the guy who did my mom's full arm tiger (cover up) and now 5 years down the line the whole thing has leeched out and looks awful
how do i know? ask some people who have been there
how can i tell? ask if you can watch someone get tattoo'ed (a lot of places will say no)
is there a list of professional tattoo artists? they have to have hygiene certs and stuff visible in the tattoo parlour
are they regulated? I don't know
can i catch anything from the needles? if proper hygiene is followed - no you can't. All equipment is autoclaved and only used on one person.
the inks should be dispensed into a small "ink pot" and then the remainder thrown away after your are finished to prevent contaimination of the main ink supply

am i getting to paranoid? yes, but with good reason
do i need to be scared? maybe

I love my tatt's. I've got 9, including one on the back of my neck.
They didn't "hurt". The outlines scratch, the fill stings a bit then is just kind of "hot" a bit like sunburn.
I heal well. I choose, from my personal experience, to heal my own way instead of following the care card. But this is because I know that I (not anyone else I'm just talking me) heal better if I let the tatt dry out and flake (the one that I didn't heal this way needed recoloring).
My ex-step-dad heals badly, bleeds for ages and doesn't hold the color.
My fella got his first (a smal celtic knot) a couple years back and said it hurt but he was really tense and nervous about the whole thing - the more you tense, the more it will/can hurt.
He now wants another - it's addictive - 1 is never enough.

I'm waiting on getting money together for one more (heart with baby feet on oneside, horseshoes on the other) and then having the spaces on my back filled in with small flowers, shooting stars, butterflies, etc.

My personal experience is that the lower on your body you go the greater the "pain".
My neck did not hurt - felt odd, like he was tattooing right up on to my head, but didn't hurt.
My ankle came close to pain, but I partly blame that on the tattooist, who I wasn't impressed with anyway.
Old 17-04-2007, 12:44 PM
Hooligan
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I pay 50 euro's an hour and always by the hour, special rate for a special person

Doesn't hurt much although it depends on the place, the total time it takes to get it done and what gun is used (how many needles, what type of needles) and the technique applied.

Did all of my fingers TWICE, didn't hurt a bit.

Got 14,5 hours worth on my back in 3 sittings, last 1,5 hurt like hell

Got my side done enxt to a big scar of major operation, really wanted to leave lol

Got both my elbows done INCLUDING the boney bit, no worries.

Got both biceps done and covered my forearms inside and out, no bother.

They will fade over time but if you take care of them and the tattooist is good they don't have to blotch and fade.
Old 17-04-2007, 12:48 PM
CabrioTurbo
PassionFord Post Troll

there is mine hurt quite a bit
took arround 2 1/2 hrs
Old 17-04-2007, 12:50 PM
Toymota
cossie_mikes biatch

i have had my tattoo about 2 years now and i love it! i wouldnt change it.
they do say once youve had one, you want another an i think its true as im hopin to get another soon
Old 17-04-2007, 12:55 PM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

just go to a tattooist for a start,have a look in their books/displays for the letters u want...............i'm back in the chair tonight again (full jap sleeve).....and yes it does hurt................but u get on with it.......
Old 17-04-2007, 01:04 PM
Toymota
cossie_mikes biatch

it did hurt quite a lot but its not unbearable.

does anyone know which is the most painful part of the body and which is least? i got mine dont on my belly, was quite painful when close to my belly button!
Old 17-04-2007, 03:02 PM
twinkle_2k86

Not sure on you location, but Tattoo place in Andover Hampshire is very good. its where i had mine done. He did the temp tattoos on brad pitt in Snatch and has all the pics and that on the walls of him doing it.

Mine was 2 sittings lastings 2 hours at a time, and coat £35 a hour. mines only a trible type one and only in black.

But they should have proper paper work to do it, plus i find ones that have to trace onto you are not as good. The one i used does it free hand with pencil first, shows you first, then goes ahead with it. My misses had a tigger done on here shoulder, and he did it in 15mins and i can tell you the detail of it is so good.

As for if it hurts, 2 places i found was a tad painfull was just inside the top of my arm and albow area, But TBH it dont hurt that much.
Old 17-04-2007, 03:04 PM
twinkle_2k86

Originally Posted by mrs_cossiemike
it did hurt quite a lot but its not unbearable.

does anyone know which is the most painful part of the body and which is least? i got mine dont on my belly, was quite painful when close to my belly button!
i have heard, ankle hurts lots, but then most girls have one there and we know girls cant take pain

also when people have bands done on there arm, when they go all the way round the under part of the arm hurts. Well if so git pinches you there it fooking hurts
Old 17-04-2007, 03:33 PM
Hooligan
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Woman can't take pain?

men are bigger fuckin' moaners when they're ill than women and I've seen a lot more men go all pale and wobbly from getting tattood then women
Old 17-04-2007, 03:35 PM
DaveyBoyS1
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by TrevCannon
Im getting this soon

abit smaller tho.. still coming up the neck as it does but only coming down the arm barely touching round the elbow area. fcuk knows how much it will be!

My mate has got that...

Louis Malloy did it (the bloke who did Beckams cross)

http://www.tattoos.co.uk/index.php

The quality is outstanding...perfect. But it cost him not far off to 300 quid.
Old 17-04-2007, 04:22 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by Ginge !
you WONT regret your kids name though !!! mines on my forearm but you cant see it as its where my elbow is so hidden most the time unless im walking away from you
thats where i want mine done
from the elbow and along the underneath of the forearm so that if i was scratching the back of my head i would be able to read both names

loads of people have written loads of stuff, but it all boils down to finding a place thats good first, then seeing what they do, then finding out if i actulay want what i want doing and then sitting there for an hour or so while he pokes bits of ink into my flesh, which hsouldn't hurt at all, honest

i'm still thinking, but i've been considering it for about he past 4 years now and even went as far as doing the names like a crossword puzzle type look, but that got crap real quick so it's just normal letters now

i'm sure that in a few weeks time i'll have the courage to get them done

one final question, is it a turn up and get done thing or do you need to book an appouintment>?
Old 17-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Graham S1
PassionFord Post Troll

whereabouts in the country are you then? Would make it easier for peeps to recommend places.
Old 17-04-2007, 05:18 PM
jacko
PassionFord Post Whore!!

this is mine its not like this cos its all finished now took 8.5 hours just for the outline trick is to think about some thing else and it wont hurt
Old 17-04-2007, 05:31 PM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

bastards..............phoned me up at 4:30 to re-arrange my opointment till the 1st of may.............................. ..........i could have been drunk by now
Old 17-04-2007, 05:38 PM
Lou Lou.
10K+ Poster!!

one final question, is it a turn up and get done thing or do you need to book an appouintment>?
The best places you will have to book an appointment to have it done but they will probably get you to choose the design first so they know how long to make time for you
Old 17-04-2007, 07:17 PM
jacko
PassionFord Post Whore!!

as it is now i need some thing between my name and the dog

Old 17-04-2007, 07:47 PM
dojj

i'm in west london peeps
i drive past one place in hanwell every morning, oppositte wickes, anyone know that?
Old 17-04-2007, 07:54 PM
89xr2
Brap!

Originally Posted by CabrioTurbo

there is mine hurt quite a bit
took arround 2 1/2 hrs
That's not central!

Reminds me of the Sublime sun.
Old 17-04-2007, 09:27 PM
StuRST
Regular Contributor

a few things to think about

*dont choose the cheapest place - its going to be there for life and you 9/10 get what you pay for.

*dont go to the local tatooist because they are local, travel a bit if needs be

*get recomendations

*go and see the artists portfolios

*if a shop hasnt got a waiting list and can see you straight away, ask yourself why

when i got mine done it took me ages to find a design i liked and couldnt find fault with.

i ended up going about 10-15 miles to get mine done and paying £20-£30 over what other more local places were quoting me.

i would recommend getting Rob @ Living Image, Greenwich to do it if its not too far www.tattoolivingimage.com
Old 17-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

the place i went to was cause they done portraits from photos and my mate got one of his kids,,, there cool people and a right laugh too

they done alot of my mates and they all seem to go back there

there based in harlesden,,,, ok may sound rough but mean they have to work hard so they dont get complaints

they also tattoo on necks which alot of places dont do

pmsl at the " you gotta travel,,,, i traveled 15 miles to get a tattoo done"

ive gone futher to get my shopping before
Old 17-04-2007, 09:50 PM
StuRST
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by Ginge !
pmsl at the " you gotta travel,,,, i traveled 15 miles to get a tattoo done"
i did look at ones further away but his work was alot better than others and the recomendations were very good as well
Old 17-04-2007, 09:54 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

actually i travel further to use the ramps at one of our branches when i needed to get my car in the air

theres kids who travel further to school these days

but then as you live in erith,,,, i can understand why you dont travel far,,, the world is alot different than slade green i can tell you
Old 17-04-2007, 10:06 PM
StuRST
Regular Contributor

take it you know the area then

btw im the opposite side of erith to slade green
Old 17-04-2007, 10:14 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

hey i know slade green a little bit... the place with 2 pubs and both are shite and everyone has a child,,, the place is quiet and,,,, well thats the good parts of it

never realised there MORE to the place,, thought it ended at the funky fish things on the roundabout then you get to actual nice areas

find it strange theres all them kids and not one mothercare
Old 17-04-2007, 10:20 PM
StuRST
Regular Contributor

@ funky fish things - apparantly it cost 50k to build that
Old 17-04-2007, 10:27 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

ive got a mate who works for bexley council based in slade green,,,, and having here there reports on the wasting of cash i can belive that
Old 17-04-2007, 10:32 PM
StuRST
Regular Contributor

it really is proper shoddy!! but you wont get the full effect unless you see it at night with the lights on it

i still cant beleive the local kids havent graffitied it
Old 17-04-2007, 11:58 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by StuRST
it really is proper shoddy!! but you wont get the full effect unless you see it at night with the lights on it

i still cant beleive the local kids havent graffitied it
i thought they did when i seen it