General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

help! it's broken!

Search this Thread

Old 14-04-2007, 04:45 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts
Default help! it's broken!

lets just get the x infinity out of the way first

right, i've got to change the rear calipers on the mondeo so i had a good start today when i got the spanners out at 4 this afternoon
got it all to bits
got the new bits ready to go on
new calipers don't fit

the calipers are exactly the same but the bleed nipples on the replacements are at the bottom of the caliper rather than the top, so you can't bleed them
after a bit more i dicided to change the hand brake mechanism around, but you can't do that as there is a bit more to it that a spring and a lever
cue more
and you can't put the calipers on the other way around ebcause then the handbrake mechanism is at the bottom and ther eisn't a hole in the suspension for the cable to go through
so more
pics up in a minute but i really need to get the car back on the road again and no rear brakes is a bit more than i am willing to risk if i put the old calipers backon again, the new ones work and everything, the old ones don't even move if you put your foot on the pedal, let along try the handbrake
Old 14-04-2007, 04:47 PM
dojj

the one on the floor is the replacement and you can see that it's the "other way around"

in the top 3 pics you can make out the hole in the suspension for the handbrake cable to come through, but there isn't another hole in the bottom for the other calipers to get handbraked up with

i've already tried to work out if i could swap the mechanisms about but i can't as the body of the caliper is designed to work the other way around to the ones i've got

so, did ford make 2 different versins of handbrake caliper for the mondeo?
they are both from an estate so they sould both be the same right?
no?

bollocks
Old 14-04-2007, 06:25 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 14-04-2007, 08:53 PM
dojj

yup. one of them too

an update though, one side had a big metal block on the end of the handbrake mechanism which i have spent the past 2 hours trying to drill out and it's not shifted, the bastard
Old 14-04-2007, 11:07 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

cant you just use and ezey bleed and leave the callipers unbolted, with the nipple at the top - bleed them then fit?
Old 14-04-2007, 11:26 PM
Cossie Sean
big floppy donkey dick

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you are useing sierra/granada/scorpio calipers they are all the same if in vented state or obviousley different if a solid state, but same throughout sierra/granada/scorpio applications!

mondeo calipers........
these are a wild card,
mk1/2 rears are mounted facing to the front of the car unless you use the estate varient as they are mounted facing the rear of the car, the forward facing calipers are all identical from 1993 to 2000, but rear facing Estate calipers were 1992-1998, 1998-2000

mk3 mondeo, all are mounted facing the rear of the car but ST and estate models use bigger calipers and different handbrake mechanisms

hope this helps?!
Old 15-04-2007, 09:52 AM
dojj

Originally Posted by Dan@FastFord
cant you just use and ezey bleed and leave the callipers unbolted, with the nipple at the top - bleed them then fit?
thats the position i find myself in, ther is no way they work the other way around but i've still got to remove this lump from the end of one caliper because it's not there on the others

Originally Posted by Cossie Sean
if you are useing sierra/granada/scorpio calipers they are all the same if in vented state or obviousley different if a solid state, but same throughout sierra/granada/scorpio applications!

mondeo calipers........
these are a wild card,
mk1/2 rears are mounted facing to the front of the car unless you use the estate varient as they are mounted facing the rear of the car, the forward facing calipers are all identical from 1993 to 2000, but rear facing Estate calipers were 1992-1998, 1998-2000

mk3 mondeo, all are mounted facing the rear of the car but ST and estate models use bigger calipers and different handbrake mechanisms

hope this helps?!
thats what i thought was the problem, but the calipers have come from the same year and model car, as in a 2002 mondeo estate

it may also explain why the pads dont' actually cover the whole surface of the disc and why the rear brakes may have died in the first place
i've got foot brake on the near side but no handbrake, and nothing on the other side at all, plus the spring is bent on the near side too

if it was a sierra then there would be no problems as i've got rear calipers piled on the shelves like there is no tomorrow, but all this new fangled mondeo stuff has me stumped

i've also got a loose exhaust sheild somewhere thats rattling like buggery under the drivers seat which is also driving me mad, but the car is still affordable motoring for me

thanks for all 3 replies guys

Trending Topics

Old 10-02-2009, 03:14 PM
dojj

why is this thread invalid?
Old 15-06-2014, 11:53 AM
ed munn
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bought new ones for my estate, and found they didnt fit, rang the company , who asked if i had put the bolts in, and i replied, how else do you line them up ? they say they cant have them back as they arent new now, although no fluid has been through it. hand brake also didnt fit, so i contacted another seller who is literally a few miles away, who took my reg and matched them to my car. now all ive got to do is fit and bleed, but whats thisadjustment lark in the book for the hand brake, surely they go on in the same way, and then adjust themselves, ? apparently not.

Last edited by Eagle; 16-06-2014 at 08:18 AM. Reason: edited by webteam
Old 15-06-2014, 01:33 PM
dojj

the early cars have auto adjustment in the handbrake mechanism, the later ones have manual adjustment in the cables
Old 15-06-2014, 04:28 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

So your replacing a pair yeh? To me it looks like your trying to fit a osr caliper to the nsr?????? Fook it Dojj just put mole grips on the rear brake pipes and do away with the calipers l0l.

I always thought mk3 mondeo brakes were all the same or is that just the front brakes.
Old 15-06-2014, 10:16 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by Glenn_
So your replacing a pair yeh? To me it looks like your trying to fit a osr caliper to the nsr?????? Fook it Dojj just put mole grips on the rear brake pipes and do away with the calipers l0l.

I always thought mk3 mondeo brakes were all the same or is that just the front brakes.
the fronts are all the same mate, it's on the rears that the estate suspension means they have "upside down" calipers compared to the hatch/saloon versions as the cables run through the suspension blades and the pipework comes from the other side

it's a bugger to find out you've got the wrong ones and for the price, you can get reconned ones rather than breakers ones and be happy that they'll work out of the box (or not in this guys case)
Old 16-06-2014, 11:48 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

So whats the plan Dojj. Are you getting new/recon ones now.
Old 16-06-2014, 07:06 PM
MikeyRobbo
PS3 - MikeyRobbo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Judging by your replies Glenn i take i you haven't noticed Dojj started this thread 7 YEARS ago

Congrats newbie on possibly the oldest thread resurrection yet!
Old 16-06-2014, 10:11 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by MikeyRobbo
Judging by your replies Glenn i take i you haven't noticed Dojj started this thread 7 YEARS ago

Congrats newbie on possibly the oldest thread resurrection yet!