General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

HELP!!!! have i just wrecked my cylinder head!!?

Search this Thread

Old 14-09-2004, 11:55 PM
GraphiteGray
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!! have i just wrecked my cylinder head!!?

Dont know how to say this, im such a thicko but i might have damaged my RS1600i cylinder head

Anyway i took the cylinder head off my RS1600i ( headgasket blown ) and was stripping it down to clean it up. All went well until i went to take the cam out. I assumed it came out at the sprocket end, dont know why i thought that, but anyway i removed the thrust plate, and then tried to pull it out, but it was stiff and wouldnt budge, so i had to pull really hard, then it suddenly loosened and came free, but i could only get it halfway out, it would not move any further!

I tried to put it back into the head, but came up against the same resistance i had trying to remove it, and had to literally apply all my weight to it to get it back into position. Problem was when i got if to the right position and tried to spin the cam over to check if it was okay and spinning freely, the bloody thing was locked solid!

I then went a checked the Haynes manual, and it said it has to removed from the distributor end!

Just give it to me straight, have i wrecked it? i dont mind too much because it'll give me an excuse to get a new stage three head, but still its a stupid thing to do!

Old 15-09-2004, 12:17 AM
AJ Escos
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

probably just locked on the bearings m8 which you have probably disturbed whilst getting it back in.
Old 15-09-2004, 08:01 AM
apples24
Banned

im not sure about 16i heads are they diff to normal cvh???

did you remove the tappets before removing cam?
Old 15-09-2004, 08:17 AM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No it will be fine.

The cam bearings are smallest on the cambelt end, and largest on the dizzy end. This means the cam has to be inserted and removed via the dizzy end.

However once fitted the cam can indeed be pulled a short distance out the cam belt end until the next cam bearing along meets the next cam bearing bore in the head. At this point you cannot pull it any further.

I see a lot of cvh heads suffer from tight cams when refitting and this is largely down to oil laquer build up causing a tight cam fit, or slightly burred head cam bearings that slightly bind with a new cam.

All you need to do is remove the cam (If tight this cam be done gently tapping using a plastic mallet on the cam belt end of the cam), oil the cam bearing journals up, refit the cam (again may need a slight tap), refit and oil up the thrust plate, and see if it frees up by turning the cam a few times with a ratchet and bolt fitted to the nose of the cam.
Old 15-09-2004, 03:57 PM
barney
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

give us a shout m8 if u have damaged it i have one in the shed