General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

is it normal to need time to think about getting a job

Search this Thread

Old 30-03-2007, 08:06 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default is it normal to need time to think about getting a job

even if the 2 jobs you are being offered are paying 20% more wages ?

ive went for a job at a place as a test to see what other places pay and in a heated moment when i had the hump with my boss

since the interveiw ive been offered HIGHER positions with more wages than i earn,,,, the first job offered me a amount and when i explained im gonna think about it cause ive also been offered the same at another place but have to have another consult i was given a show round the place, shown what im to do/expected if i took it and then offered MORE money to beat the other place

heres the REALLY strange thing,,, im not sure what one to take now !

infact since ive sorted my dispute im not sure i wanna leave my job either i have as i do fuck all and get paied VERY well for it, all thats expected of me there is i turn up for work on time and i do work when its needed and not cut corners( i spend 4 hours a day on autotrader website due to being bored at times

this is the strange thing,,, i get paid more than i need to live on at the moment BUT ive got a boss with temper tantrums when i cant turn up for work and thats the only thing of the job i hate, apart from that i get away with tooooo much and dont do anything of use, if i left i wouldnt even be replaced either,, im just a filler person incase someone is off sick,,, im a substitute sitting at a desk

so,,,, what to i do ?

a mate of mine works at the other company and hes saying to work there,,, now that seems to be a real graft,, not that i dont do hard work,, but i dont want a presure job,,,, my life is about no stress BUT cause ive got a kid i guess i should be chasing the money , ive never bothered before and what happens is i used to scrape a living but now i get a fair wage that leaves me 60 to 70% at the end of the month to spend on what ever i like after bills so technically dont need to worry at this time

what would you lot do, what have you done

WILL I REGRET LEAVING A PISS EASY JOB I CREATED FOR MYSELF FOR A TINY BIT MORE MONEY PER MONTH AS SUCH AND GET STUCK IN A WORSE POSITION AND BE TIED TO MY JOB DUE TO FINANCIAL STRAIN

cheers again peeps, not asking for the answer btw, just opinions and see if im thinking stupid
Old 30-03-2007, 08:09 PM
DROPTOP
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

personal choice i'd go for more cash (never have too much !) and higher position , may well lead up even higher in time.
Old 30-03-2007, 08:11 PM
DROPTOP

got to think of job security too i suppose . dont want to move and the new company drop you or go through for some reason in a years time
Old 30-03-2007, 09:19 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

cheers for that reply mate

so you sugest i stay AND go for the higher paied job

mind if i done that then my missus can tell everyone " my mans got TWO jobs"

Old 30-03-2007, 09:24 PM
SteveB
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Had the EXACT same choice last month......

Worked for F1 and was a bit pissed off and went for another job.... wasn't too bothered about it tbh until I went for the 1st interview and found out it was 30% more ŁŁŁ, less hours, more holiday plus a company car... then had a 2nd interview and finally got offered the job, accepted the job but then wasn't really sure if I really wanted it....... Just finished my 2nd week and the job is 100% spot on, people are really nice and we actually have realistic targets to hit.....

Steve
Old 30-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Šhatter Box
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I thought you had it at fords

I have been doing back counter all week and that’s bad enough lol

not on front desk any more I been moved to the phone now. as are main rep left to go to Audi i still wating for a good pay rise fords dont have a clue how to look after there staff
Old 30-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by SteveB
Had the EXACT same choice last month......

Worked for F1 and was a bit pissed off and went for another job.... wasn't too bothered about it tbh until I went for the 1st interview and found out it was 30% more ŁŁŁ, less hours, more holiday plus a company car... then had a 2nd interview and finally got offered the job, accepted the job but then wasn't really sure if I really wanted it....... Just finished my 2nd week and the job is 100% spot on, people are really nice and we actually have realistic targets to hit.....

Steve
does that mean if i go there ill not regret it

btw i trippled my sales target this month and ive been a MIN of 2 times over for the last 4 months,,,, but thats cause my place as down sized and im not expected to sell much,,, and as i have regular customers who call me up for a bit of banter and now collect there parts rather than have them delivered

im gonna earn 4 times my usual bonus when we was expected to take 15 times more money when we was a parts plus dealer

as said, ive no reason to leave, i applied for 2 jobs cause my boss had a pop about me taking time off to look after my little girl,, infact he was total cunt who showed he only cared about what i done and fuck all about me

that was sorted ( with a letter of government legislation and reminding him how my missus won her case for unfair dismissal few years ago due to them thinking they new the law) i still went for both interviews, told my boss about them aswell , he was thinkign NOW of paying me more,,, then told he cant match what here offering due to the business budgets wont even go near it

arghhhh, dessions,,,, on and one of the places may have 5k a year travel allowence tax free ive been told ONTOP of the wages

but my job is easy and aslong as im at work,,,,, i can do almost what i want
Old 30-03-2007, 09:44 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Alex zvh cabrio
I thought you had it at fords

I have been doing back counter all week and that’s bad enough lol

not on front desk any more I been moved to the phone now. as are main rep left to go to Audi i still wating for a good pay rise fords dont have a clue how to look after there staff
alex,, you seen my desk,,, i sit beside the manager all day and answer 10 calls a day and email mates the rest of it

ive been doing back counter for the last 3 weeks though,,,, that was hard work

dont get me wrong, i get paied ok where i am,,, but ill never get more and IF they decided to reduce costs,,,,, reality is i dont to anything that someone else cant do ontop of there jobs,,, hell i dont even get the lunch anymore

thats why its a hard choice,,, cant belive what some factors pay though for telesales/reps as a basic though

cant belive i was offered a extra 4k a year rise before i started and a senior advisor role just cause ive also got a interveiw at there competition

oh and alex my BEST advice for you would be to apply to eurocarparts as theres one near you, there starting wage is more than your on PLUS bonus ontop

either that or mcdonalds as they pay better too,,,,, hell i think the hand carwash companys might be worth a shot since i heard you basic

ive been lucky at blagging jobs of late, i walked out of my next job and renogotiated my wage 5k higher than the job i walked out on,,, which was a job i worked at before and left for more cash

think i might buy my first lottery ticket too

alex you got it sorted at your place just like i have also,,,,, guess thats why you also find the idea of moving hard
Old 30-03-2007, 09:54 PM
Šhatter Box
PassionFord Post Whore!!

money is crap at any dagaham motors unless you brown nose or yoor an manager

your right its sorted at my place

work at macs thats wright up your st ant it
Old 30-03-2007, 10:24 PM
DOO
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ginge go for the better paid job as you will always get your old job back no probs some bloke in are place as left 5 times in the last 10 years

Pay rises just don`t happen
it`s all about bonus pay.
i just got very good bonus this month

Now it`s all good things are starting to go forward big time and where are almost now making a profit

They now want me to be the senior sales rep company car and all the perks that goes with it.
So have just started the job on my terms i going to try it for a few weeks/ months as long as i want to see if it`s the job for me only been doing it now 2 weeks and i loveing it don`t know how long i will though

Now i can`t stand going back into work anymore now after been stuck in there for 16 years
Old 30-03-2007, 10:33 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

see tone its repping i wanna do tbh, dont wanna sit in a desk all day but also dont wanna regret leaving but then i dont wanna make my THIRD return there
Old 30-03-2007, 10:44 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Ginge I left a hard work (physicaly hard work) job with crap hours and shitty staff care to go work in a piss easy shop based job 2 miles from my house, with wicked hours where I sat doing fuck all most days, sold a few drums and played on ebay all day...

Then I went BACK to Autoglass!

1 reason was the money I must admit - and I am on the best I have ever been on currently (tho that ain't saying much) and another was largely down to how much I got fucked about and lied to in the new job.

On a bonus tho, a week after I decided to quit there and go back to Autoglass, the other company went bust

I would do it, but I would leave on good terms in case you need your job back
Old 30-03-2007, 10:49 PM
DOO
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I been offerd the job a few times before but enjoyed what i was doing at the time but now i can not take it anymore been board for most of the day doing fook all the day was so long.

so far i am loveing it but it`s early days yet only time will tell ???

Also after being a rep for a few years hopefully will lead to bigger things fingers crossed

In your postion i would be unsure what to do aswell TBH
Old 30-03-2007, 11:29 PM
TurboTuffy
Regular Contributor

least you lot got it nice and easy

come work at Dagenham thats where the real fun is

Ging and Alex lets hope Jon Harte is not a secret Passion Ford reader

or we will be proper fooked

Ging i spent 8 years at Dag Motors then got offered a job paying 5k a year more , only lasted 7 months cos the manager was a cunt and i just had to tell him so ended up back at Dagenham, the only people doing ok now in the dealerships are the managers and directors normal staff like us cant earn brilliant money cos it ends up in the fat cat wage packets , i have taken the step now and gone to college to learn electrical installation , nearly at the end of year 1 so 1 / 2 more years and goodbye car trade and hello big bucks

and Tony good luck with the reps job i tried it a few years ago and was not my cup of tea.
Old 30-03-2007, 11:42 PM
DOO
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Rich you got the best idea mate get out the fooking trade

Hope it all works out for you
Old 31-03-2007, 06:06 AM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Money is not everything (if you have it lol)

I would rather be happy in my job to be honest.

But will you regret not trying it ?

Steve.
Old 31-03-2007, 09:00 AM
CliffRS4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Does Ambition not come into this?
I have to have a challenge each day or I really would get bored
Old 31-03-2007, 09:35 AM
rauri
up in smoke........

as someone said,the money aint everything.i got headhunted begining of the year and all i thought about was the money so i went for it...unfortunatly the grass isnt always greener.only do it if your sure you will enjoy the new job
Old 31-03-2007, 10:15 AM
Dannn
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Ginge !

I learnt a long time ago that life is not all about the amount of money you earn etc and too much money can actually make you miserable and/or not happier. However if you appreciate the money and spend it wisely then it will complement your life.

Some people including me (in the past) end up wasting their cash on silly cars and then tuning them. Sometimes until the point their whole life without them realising it centres round it, almost like an addiction. How many people when they get some extra cash spend it on their cossie instead of taking the family on a nice unplanned extra holiday that year? I will have another nice car one day but it will be a very low priority!

Also sitting round at work doing fook is shite IMO. I spent a fews years in the past earning a large amount of money doing basically nothing. At the time I thought it was great albeit boring. In reality it made me lazy and caused some damage to my career at the time as I did not progress at all.

From what I have learnt its all about compromise. You need to earn as much money as you can while at the same time making sure you career progresses so that you end up with your job getting better and more interesting and in turn moving up the money ladder. I.e there is no point taking one job over another just because it pays more money when the other job leads to more money in the future while your stuck at the other job for years on end and will probably have to take a pay cut to leave!

Anyway forget the money and take the job which will progress you further and make you even more employable in the future.

Saying that perhaps its time you did some training. Then took a lower paid job and started another career which could lead somewhere better for the future.....? That is what I would do and I am sure you would look back 10 years later and think thank fook I did that while your family is reaping all the benefits!

Cheers,

Dan

ps - stop being a lazy cunt
Old 31-03-2007, 02:56 PM
Graham S1
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Dannn
I learnt a long time ago that life is not all about the amount of money you earn etc and too much money can actually make you miserable and/or not happier. However if you appreciate the money and spend it wisely then it will complement your life.
Wise words.

Originally Posted by Cliff S1
Does Ambition not come into this?
I have to have a challenge each day or I really would get bored
I'm like that. Find it really hard to sit around and waste time for some reason. Never turn down an extra coffee break or two though.
Old 31-03-2007, 03:11 PM
Rs1

Just recently been in a similar situation myself. I wasn't in a bad job tbh, a bit boring at times and chance for promotions slim to none...however that job was about 10 mins away from my house by car, no traffic what so ever, 8.30-5.00 and trust me once the clock hit 5.00 the doors were closing and you were away.
Chance came round on a job doing something that i wasn't expierienced in but they would give full training and pay was 10k over the top of what i was getting. Its away from home mon-fri, at work for 7.00, finish....whenever and tbh i feel its the biggest mistake ive made.

Definatly take you time to think about it
Old 31-03-2007, 03:24 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i say theres one way to look at it, you have to wiegh up the pros and cons, u can sit on your arse all day doing nothin and not stimulate your brain and turn into a mushroom or better yourself with more prospects and more cash? say you earn 20k for doin nothing, you still have to be at work so y not go for the other job and work and earn say 30k and better prospects? thats what i done, i got fed upworking for my company and left to be self employed, like finishing early now with more money etc, but have to work harder for the bennifits
Old 01-04-2007, 07:49 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by TurboTuffy
least you lot got it nice and easy

come work at Dagenham thats where the real fun is

Ging and Alex lets hope Jon Harte is not a secret Passion Ford reader

or we will be proper fooked

Ging i spent 8 years at Dag Motors then got offered a job paying 5k a year more , only lasted 7 months cos the manager was a cunt and i just had to tell him so ended up back at Dagenham, the only people doing ok now in the dealerships are the managers and directors normal staff like us cant earn brilliant money cos it ends up in the fat cat wage packets , i have taken the step now and gone to college to learn electrical installation , nearly at the end of year 1 so 1 / 2 more years and goodbye car trade and hello big bucks

and Tony good luck with the reps job i tried it a few years ago and was not my cup of tea.
turbotuffy what IS your name at dags, i usually speak to elliot or john smart when parts DONT ARRIVE

oh and how you lot finding joel and dave,,,, must be strange seeing 2 black people in dagenham ha ha ha

btw jim WAS my boss, the BEST ive ever had,,, CAUSE HES A MAD SCOTSMAN ( oh NEVER give him money or get anything for him UNLESS he gives you cash,,, hes REALLY tight with HIS money i noticed )

im gonna leave fords either way but its what job out of the 2 i take,,,, there both the same thing, same money(ish) but who to work for

oh and john harte dont mind me for some reason, think its cause i have a bad caffinee addiction and i always buy starbucks each day and when hes there i get him one too
Old 01-04-2007, 08:05 PM
TurboTuffy
Regular Contributor

Ginge My name is Richard whats your real name ?

Jim seems ok still got to get to know him a little better , but 1st impresions

are ok , Joel seems ok , Dave well i wont go there with that 1 , Jon Harte

is ok if you dont piss him of , which i have a real bad habit of doing to

managers ( must be cos i was born in south london ) .

what jobs you been offered then ? i gonna see about a wage rise before

we move to the new PDC if not then i gonna tell them to shove the job
Old 01-04-2007, 08:10 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Hello ginge, back on line now.
I think your regret moving from where you are but see what your saying. BTW Dan is apparanetly getting me an interview on wedneday for the same company? I literally need ANYTHING to get out of this effing company. Speak to you soon.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by TurboTuffy
Ginge My name is Richard whats your real name ?

Jim seems ok still got to get to know him a little better , but 1st impresions

are ok , Joel seems ok , Dave well i wont go there with that 1 , Jon Harte

is ok if you dont piss him of , which i have a real bad habit of doing to

managers ( must be cos i was born in south london ) .

what jobs you been offered then ? i gonna see about a wage rise before

we move to the new PDC if not then i gonna tell them to shove the job
the ONLY way you get a rise from jim is if you leave and he needs someone as he NEVER give payrises unless hes no choice

i left and he needed someone back and he knew i was reliable and so i got offered more money than the place i went to, most of it is bonus though . he LOVES that rise, means you have to turn up for work and jump through hoops or you dont get paid,,, but tbh ive NEVER had a issue with jim apart from when i was reported by some wanker on the M25 for my driving as i was undertaking lots of people and that SAME day i showed him a video i recorded on my phone of me doing just over a 100mph in daves transit when he was off,,,,, i got some shite when that complaint came it i can tell you

dave the driver lives opposite my mum so i find him well cool as when i need a van i just knock on his door and rob his ha ha

but there all sound people, would work with them again in a second !!!

infact i think that joel is wasted there but jim WONT let him go as hes VERY good and smart !!!

btw ive spoke to you a few times at highbury as when you call up its either me or steve you speak too, steve is the scotish one ( jims best mate!!)

ill either answer to Al or ginge, usually ginge though tbh
Old 01-04-2007, 08:21 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Happiness accounts to more than money.
I left being a cabbie to drive a wagon around, half the cash in my pocket but twice the smile on my kipper,
Money's fuck all if you cant enjoy the life with it.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by XRT_si
Hello ginge, back on line now.
I think your regret moving from where you are but see what your saying. BTW Dan is apparanetly getting me an interview on wedneday for the same company? I literally need ANYTHING to get out of this effing company. Speak to you soon.
simon euros is HARD work mate, honestly its REAL hard work hence me not being sure

you will be answering 200 calls a day, need to get the stuff sorted and finished in 3 mins otherwise theres MORE stress and thats why alot of people leave there

theres PERSONAL targets to be MET, if its quiet you need to cold call customers to get the trade

so in a nut shell UNLESS i get offered a incentive theres a good chance ill be taking jaystock as they seem more laid back,,, and they uped my offer when i said ive got another interveiw with euros aswell as them

i WONT regret leaving fords though as tbh,, i can go back there if i needed as i DO work hard and do my job aswell as have the bollox to front people of they get a little brave when needed

another thing, if dan gets you the job be prepared for the constant " i got simon a job" every fucking time he can fit it in,,,, even if hes just paying for petrol

i know what your saying but you aint like me mate, your educated and not mong like me, why WASTE what you got in a job you could get at anypoint

look for a job you LIKE rather than a job just for money to pay for your car

PS: what wage is he offering you,,, just wanna guage that also

Old 01-04-2007, 08:31 PM
TurboTuffy
Regular Contributor

[quote="Ginge !"][quote="TurboTuffy"]Ginge
the ONLY way you get a rise from jim is if you leave and he needs someone as he NEVER give payrises unless hes no choice

well will have to wait and see on that , he knows what i do compared to the others , so maybe that will prompt him

allthough my money`s isnt really that bad , it does need to be a little better for me to carry on doing what i do , but on the other hand in 1 years time it could be bye bye partsman hello sparky
Old 01-04-2007, 08:32 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Big G
Happiness accounts to more than money.
I left being a cabbie to drive a wagon around, half the cash in my pocket but twice the smile on my kipper,
Money's fuck all if you cant enjoy the life with it.
hey i agree with that, but the place im at theres NO chance of promotion as im gonna be working in a snoozy main dealer parts department as a supervisor ( just a badge for customers to read not a actual title )

ford aint making enough money and so as DOO said, the big wigs take all the cash and screw the small staff aswell as look after there mates for promotions and i dont mean the staff they like,,,, i mean mates from when they first got in the game
Old 01-04-2007, 08:34 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

[quote="TurboTuffy"][quote="Ginge !"][quote="TurboTuffy"]Ginge

well will have to wait and see on that , he knows what i do compared to the others , so maybe that will prompt him

allthough my money`s isnt really that bad , it does need to be a little better for me to carry on doing what i do , but on the other hand in 1 years time it could be bye bye partsman hello sparky [/quote

i thought elliot was the golden boy there

oh and your rep dave ( another dave) hes another one whos a laugh and knows alot of people in the game ( though remember hes also john hartes mate too )
Old 01-04-2007, 10:08 PM
TurboTuffy
Regular Contributor

Elliot Golden Boy

Elliot has been main dealer parts man for 4 years thats only 14 years less

than me , just a shame he has a 5 second memory span hence the nickname FISH

Dave the rep well he just loves the sound of his own voice

anyway Ginge next time your in Dags come say hello
Old 01-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

ill never be in dags, i used to do the round robin van,,,, i was the one who demo'ed it for the company and thats how i got the job at fords 2 years ago

wont be visiting there though unless our driver scott ( another jock whos jims brother inlaws good mate,,,, notice the pattern !!!!) calls in sick, but thats HIGHLY doubtfull as now steves the boss,,, well its not like the old days of jim in charge with us going out on the piss every thursday and turning up for work PISSED still

Old 01-04-2007, 10:50 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

I just want another job, all this is just freaking depressing me. I HATE interviews too, probabaly due to the amount ive not got through
Old 01-04-2007, 10:55 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by XRT_si
I just want another job, all this is just freaking depressing me. I HATE interviews too, probabaly due to the amount ive not got through
ONE

simon its al well saying you just want another job, but you have to remember that having a boss looking over you and you working flat out and no fucking about aint the same as working at halfords where you can just ignore the phone when it rings, stroll out to look at a car thats pretty ect ect ect

trust me mate its a company that requires ALOT from you and dedication

turning up late is another no no,,, aswell as not turning up for work cause your cars broken down too

not trying to put you off just make sure you understand the situation in the car game in a telesales office of a motorfactors dealing with the wholesale side of things