General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Cossie M.I.S inlet manifold

Search this Thread

Old 15-03-2007, 01:22 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave,
Just for the criminally stupid , the point I was trying to make is that the MIS moves the power curve like BD10s do. It is that efficient that it makes 40bhp, but at the expense of a similar loss in torque down the bottom end.

The idea with the individual throttle bodies is to replace some of this lost response, which is exactly what fitting these do . The MIS was designed for rally-cross where top end power was more important than mid-range response.

Hope this adequately clarifies this time .
Old 15-03-2007, 01:26 PM
Disabled Account
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
Mike, sorry about the blonde joke, innappropiate (spl) use stereo-typing on this occasionn
Old 15-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by EsCosRacer
Originally Posted by Doug Stirling
Mike, sorry about the blonde joke, innappropiate (spl) use stereo-typing on this occasionn

ok...so the std cam behaves better than a BD10 but they are the same

can u see the problem dave ?
Obviously not, as he kept posting the same thing again and again, not able to see the contradictions he was writing .
Old 15-03-2007, 02:41 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Dave,
Just for the criminally stupid , the point I was trying to make is that the MIS moves the power curve like BD10s do. It is that efficient that it makes 40bhp, but at the expense of a similar loss in torque down the bottom end.

The idea with the individual throttle bodies is to replace some of this lost response, which is exactly what fitting these do . The MIS was designed for rally-cross where top end power was more important than mid-range response.

why would it LOOSE responce mike? how much large in volume is it over a standard set-up?
Old 15-03-2007, 02:54 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

It looses bottom end torque NOT response. The ITBs improves the RESPONSE down the bottom end, which makes it FEEL like you have some of the torque back .

The MIS is like when you put a big valve head on a N/A car, outright power is improved, but at a loss of torque .

I haven't got any CFM figures for the MIS, but am reporting on a back to back rally-cross engine that Harvey did for a customer in one of the Scandanavian countries where he originally built it on an RS500 manifold and then when it came in for a rebuild (to identical spec), but the customer had an MIS manifold to go on, the power climbed HUGELY, but the torque that he had before was shifted up the power curve, so he lost a chunk down the bottom.
Old 15-03-2007, 02:58 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

It looses bottom end torque NOT response

ummmm
Old 15-03-2007, 03:19 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

I meant mid-range torque - I now feel as bad as Dave .

Just like Dave, I knew what I meant, even if no-one else did .

Anyway, I "think" I have suitably clarified .
Old 15-03-2007, 03:24 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by EsCosRacer
dont worry....you are already blond
At least I HAVE an excuse - what's Dave's?
Old 15-03-2007, 03:34 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

I meant mid-range torque - I now feel as bad as Dave .

Just like Dave, I knew what I meant, even if no-one else did .

Anyway, I "think" I have suitably clarified .
ok then so hows is this true then,,, and ive changed repsonce for torque?

The idea with the individual throttle bodies is to replace some of this lost torque, which is exactly what fitting these do .
how have you gained modrange torque? does fitting throttle bodys increase air speed to gain back misrange torque or do they change the tuned length of the inlet trumpet?
Old 15-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

No, you changed the wrong thing .

ITBs help give better repsonse. They don't give any extra torque.

With a normal single body you have the delay that is caused by the TB being a million miles away from the inlet valves, so on a Cossie it has a long torturous route to get to the engine when you open the throttle. The ITBs mean that the route is about 1" and directly into the engine, so response is INSTANT.

It should take away some of the delay and "feel" better / sharper, despite offering very little power improvement.

This is the theory - Martin "says" it works on his car and I will tell you exactly back to back on how it feels on mine in April .
Old 15-03-2007, 03:51 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

do YOU really think its going to make a difference?

ive drivent a few cossies in different stages of tune, and none have lacked throttle responce (how fast the reaction between engine speed/torque changes due to a change in throttle angle)
would you agree?

you would be better off spending more time mapping the TFC than waxing 2k on a throttle body conversion
Old 15-03-2007, 03:53 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

how fast do you think it takes the air from the throttle plate to accurate too the inlet track?
Old 15-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Gareth,
I'll tell you how better it is when I have tried it . Mountune developed the intake system to do a particular job, so I hope it does what they say, or I will be well pissed .
Old 15-03-2007, 03:58 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

but they speced the manifold around the whole engine,, and didnt just try and gain throttle resonce from the manifold

agree?
Old 15-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by GARETH T
but they speced the manifold around the whole engine,, and didnt just try and gain throttle resonce from the manifold

agree?
I have modified my intake to match the increased flow requirements I need, so I am hoping that it will do a similar thing to my car, as was intended with the rally cars . Only time will tell . The theory is there - I'll tell you how it works in practice .

Obviously the roller barrel design means that there is also no restrictions in the air flow either .
Old 15-03-2007, 04:17 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

im sure your new engine is going to be great as i know you dont do things by halfs

2K to gain maybe about 10 milisecond better responce,,, you gotta be crazy

Obviously the roller barrel design means that there is also no restrictions in the air flow either
ive seen many tests,,, and the throttle plate is invisable at WOT

keep trying to justify something your bought with your eyes and not your education

Old 15-03-2007, 04:31 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

As I said, I sold it to myself on the theory, hopefully reality will prove I was right in my investment .
Old 15-03-2007, 04:42 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Either that, or so competitive, that Mike would rather spend all that on a baby engine, instead of just building an engine with proper power in the first place!

How many times can one person be overtaken on circuit, before they give up with "400bhp, but it's responsive! " ?
Old 15-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Gareth - i disagree!

it's irrelevant of turbo. Infact, with a bigger exhaust size, u gain response. You have atmosphereic pressure much nearer to the valve than with a single throttle body - the air rushes in much quicker, hence the response increase. The plenum volume helps with this to, a larger volume acting like a tank of unrestivtive air if you like.

On Karls own engine, he said how lazy the GT40 felt with the sweedish style manifold - changing to ITB's improved things greatly.

The only reason that the manifold will push the curve up will be the runner length - are they sunstantially shorter than std? The peak power is fixed by the runner diameter - it's the only thing that can effect it.
Old 15-03-2007, 08:06 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by Rick
Gareth - i disagree!

it's irrelevant of turbo. Infact, with a bigger exhaust size, u gain response. You have atmosphereic pressure much nearer to the valve than with a single throttle body - the air rushes in much quicker, hence the response increase. The plenum volume helps with this to, a larger volume acting like a tank of unrestivtive air if you like.

On Karls own engine, he said how lazy the GT40 felt with the sweedish style manifold - changing to ITB's improved things greatly.

The only reason that the manifold will push the curve up will be the runner length - are they sunstantially shorter than std? The peak power is fixed by the runner diameter - it's the only thing that can effect it.
i dont think ive said you wouldnt gain responce,,,, its just HOW much you gain,,,,, i personaly think it would be tiny,,, unfealable
Old 16-03-2007, 09:17 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by Rick
Gareth - i disagree!

i dont think ive said you wouldnt gain responce,,,, its just HOW much you gain,,,,, i personaly think it would be tiny,,, unfealable
From the sounds of it, both Martin and Karl disagree with you . I hope their right, or I've just wasted a fair chunk of money .

Mike,
My engine is still similar enough for me to feel any increase or decrease in response .
Old 16-03-2007, 10:22 AM
ian sibbert
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think what Gareth is getting at is, when will this immense response time come into play....it won't....yes i'd agree that in a rallycross car running +500hp, coming out of a slowish corner on a mixed surface, response time may be that important as to warrant a 5K inlet system, but come on, even a track car where a quick driver would carry enough speed through most corners, the cash not be better spent elsewhere.

All the cars you talk about are built to prove engineering capability and excellence, not actual driver/car performance....if that were the case they would be being raced competively.....as you say Mike mountune built that inlet for a purpose, as did Jenspeed, they arn't really being used for the purpose for which they were designed, they are completely overkill IMO...

Ian
Old 16-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Ian,
As you can see from what people say about them who have had them fitted, the difference is quoted as being night and day. As I am not chasing power figures, I decided to spend my money instead on optimising what I had.

However, I will report totally objectively on my findings and I REALLY hope it will show some improvement. There is no way I would have bought the item brand new though, as I agree, even Ł5k is too much for the total cost . Thanks to you, you know I got a billy bargain .
Old 16-03-2007, 10:35 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by RichardPON
Either that, or so competitive, that Mike would rather spend all that on a baby engine, instead of just building an engine with proper power in the first place!

How many times can one person be overtaken on circuit, before they give up with "400bhp, but it's responsive! " ?
Old 16-03-2007, 10:39 AM
Disabled Account
Banned

Mike, at Silverstone when Steve Scott was lapping 10 - 12 seconds faster than you, which plenium/throtle type was he using? b
Old 16-03-2007, 10:41 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Mike, at Silverstone when Steve Scott was lapping 10 - 12 faster than you, which plenium/throtle type was he using? b
He was using a normal one, but with 200kg less weight and 150bhp more power .

HOWEVER, check out this month's PF and look what manifold is on his NEW engine .

You can apologise now or later if you want .
Old 16-03-2007, 10:46 AM
Ryan
15K+ Super Poster!!

i saw his manifold yesterday and can confirm that he is uses the mountune inlet, but it looks pony in comparision to some of the of the other bits he has there.

And i can back with a huge box full

and that wasnt including my diff
Old 16-03-2007, 10:47 AM
Disabled Account
Banned

He was using a normal one, but with 200kg less weight and 150bhp more power .
HOWEVER, check out this month's PF and look what manifold is on his NEW engine .
You can apologise now or later if you want .
I dont buy car magazines due to being a bit tight arsed So prey tell - what mainfold/plenium is he using now?
Old 16-03-2007, 10:47 AM
Ryan
15K+ Super Poster!!

doug see above
Old 16-03-2007, 10:54 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Same one as me .
Old 16-03-2007, 10:57 AM
Disabled Account
Banned

Same one as me .
So hopefully your lap times will be a fair bit closer to his this season.........I can put the egg timer away and use a stopwatch from now on
Old 16-03-2007, 10:59 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

No, as he is trying to go for even less weight and more power, so I doubt it .
Old 16-03-2007, 11:44 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...this old chestnut will work well here for mike....more money than sense
Old 16-03-2007, 11:49 AM
Ryan
15K+ Super Poster!!

yes mike, it shall be rather special
Old 16-03-2007, 12:10 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Same one as me .
So hopefully your lap times will be a fair bit closer to his this season.........I can put the egg timer away and use a stopwatch from now on
I thought you were using a calender Doug

Quick Reply: Cossie M.I.S inlet manifold