General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

On-Line petitions

Search this Thread

Old 20-02-2007 | 03:41 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Default On-Line petitions

I've started an on-line petition of my own - don't suppose I'll get 1.7 million signatures but I feel better for getting it off my chest!!!

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/GoodorBadLaw/

Have a read and if you agree sign it. If you don't agree, either start your own petition or I'll take my ball and go home in a huff!!!!
Old 20-02-2007 | 03:53 PM
Ridgey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

signed
Old 20-02-2007 | 04:02 PM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

lol sorry mate, but

"From statistics about the number of otherwise law-abiding citizens who are being criminalised under current speeding regulations, it is obvious that these laws do not enjoy the support of a significant proportion of the population and are therefore potentially bad laws."

well duh, of course people aren't going to like being done for speeding!

Perhaps they should get rid of all tax as well cos, well, we dont really like tax either!
Old 20-02-2007 | 05:14 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Remember that politicians are supposed to enact laws that the majority of people support, and I don't think that their current emphasis on speeding has that support but no-one ever asks the public about things like this, road tolls etc, any more (if ever?)

And I'm not saying they don't LIKE being done for speeding - I'm making the point that when so many normal people CHOOSE to ignore a law, it plainly doesn't have the right level of public support - if aunty Gladys can become a criminal by bopping along the inside lane of the M6 at 80mph on a bright sunny day, harming absolutely no-one, how can that be a good law?

The difference between this and paying income tax is that most people recognise the need to pay for things like hospitals, schools, defence, civil servants and a million and one other "good" things, so we pay up although we moan about it.

Breaking into someone's car and stealing it is wrong because either they or their insurance company end up out of pocket - but someone speeding down the road doesn't harm anyone except in the tiniest minority of times when the speeder hits something?