General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Had this in my workshop Friday....

Search this Thread

Old 18-02-2007, 04:36 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Had this in my workshop Friday....

Came in for a screen change;

What a complete cunt of a job that was Took about 5hrs or so - complete and utter motherfucker to change the screen on!

Not cheap either - screen was £1535 And for that price, I was astonished to find that the tiny flap of rubber around the edges, known as encapsulation, came loose and you had to fit it yourself! Christ, a £100 VW Polo screen comes with the encapsulation already fitted, as do 99.9% of all other encap screens!!!! Lazy fookers them Aston boys!

Still, once it was done, it looked fucking gorgeous If I do say so myself Owner was well chuffed with it - spent a good 10mins looking it over and inspecting it, but seemed pleased with the job.....

The money between the owner and his mate tho! Owner turns up in this, and his mate turned up to collect him in a brand new 56 plate AMG55, both wearing what were obviously hand tailored suits that looked like they cost several thousand quid, and very expensive shoes Alright for some I guess!
Old 18-02-2007, 05:01 PM
silver
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bet that you sat behind the wheel making engine noises.

Old 18-02-2007, 05:02 PM
Rossco
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, bet your arse was nipping up cutting the fooooker out!
Old 18-02-2007, 05:09 PM
steventoon
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Thrush,

I've a Volvo V70 that has recently had a windscreen fitted by the dealer. It began to leak and so they refitted it. It looks like its leaking again where it meets the roof as I'm getting water running down the inside of the screen.

Any ideas whats gone wrong and is there any problem removing it for a second time so it can be fitted again. I'm thinking of going to somewhere like autoglass to ask them to take it out and put it back. Any iea of what it will cost.

Cheers

Steve
Old 18-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

silver - actually no.. We jsut fired it up and blipped the throttle a few times.... I nearly had a little sex wee at the noise it made! I didn't dare drive it tho - not even to drive it out the workshop for the customer like I normally do - I let him drive it out himself, just in case lol....

Rossco - was it fuck! I had to tape it shut at a couple points

steventoon - most likely the muppets at Volvo are muppets and either the glue line has a join in it that hasn't been smoothed over (ie, not completely joined) or hasn't taken to the screen/car properly, leaving a gap. Possibly the primer used before the glue is applied hasn't taken to the glass properly, again leaving a non-watertight seal.... More likely it just isn't fitted correctly. Get it to Autoglass or similar and explain to them what the problem is. A standard remove and refit, saving your screen (not always possible mind - they will explain this to you) costs about £95 IIRC (been a while since I done one mind, and I don't generally deal in prices much) As said, glass is glass and by nature is fragile, and even with the best fitter it isn't always possible to save the original screen, so be preparred to pay for a new one if it gets broken taking it out - Autoglass, nor any other auto glazing company, will accept liability for the glass.... But if you are fully comp on the insurance, you will only pay £50 or £60 for a new screen fitted
Old 18-02-2007, 05:36 PM
steventoon
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

cheers thrush
Old 18-02-2007, 05:42 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

dont worry it'll break down soon enough