General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

liverpool fc

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 11:30 AM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default liverpool fc

its been confirmed that the take over is complete news conference at 2 pm

roll on the good times
Old 06-02-2007, 11:32 AM
scottbrown
Advanced PassionFord User

the americans?? gillet?

how much? how much debt is the club going to be taking on? As my understanding was that the americans were borrowing to buy, where as the dic had the money in cash...
Old 06-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

yeah mate gillet just says deal values liverpool at 218.9 million suppose we will find out more at the news conference
Old 06-02-2007, 02:36 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

him and tom hicks are equal partners, the whole deal including paying off liverpools debt and paying for the new ground is £470 million. imo it looks a good deal from the outside, football is the next big thing in america, first you have the beckham deal, then one of the big sports networks has just made a big money deal to show premiership matches live starting from next season. if you look at the business men in charge of the big basketball/baseball teams over there, they are very successfull, and if they can get football to take off in the states, it will bring a lot more money into the game as america is a huge market, thats why you hear the artists in the music industry talking about breaking into the american market. but i suppose time will tell, but initially, it looks a good deal
Old 06-02-2007, 02:52 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

The deal has NOT incurred any debt to the club,the money has NOT been borrowed...

Looks a good deal on the face of it........I hope this is the last we here of these 2 guys now,hopefully they'll stay completely behind the scenes and the club can continue to be run how it was

Exciting times IMO
Old 06-02-2007, 03:01 PM
SapphyMike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I wonder how many of the Liverpool fans who slagged off Manchester United for having American owners will be now shouting from the roof tops about being owned by Americans?
Old 06-02-2007, 03:07 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by SapphyMike
I wonder how many of the Liverpool fans who slagged off Manchester United for having American owners will be now shouting from the roof tops about being owned by Americans?
yeah but the difference is mike, our new owners havnt taken out a loan and used our ground as collateral , infact, its the opposite, they are paying off our debt, and paying for our new ground, so its a totally different deal to the one the glaziers have at united.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:30 PM
SapphyMike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Fiddy UK
yeah but the difference is mike, our new owners havnt taken out a loan and used our ground as collateral , infact, its the opposite, they are paying off our debt, and paying for our new ground, so its a totally different deal to the one the glaziers have at united.
The Glaziers made money available.

Old Trafford is still pretty much full every home game.

Also Manchester United globally appear more marketable than Liverpool.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

i never said anything about old trafford not being full, or them not making money available, but to be honest, united spent a hell of lot more money before the glaziers arrived. but they still took out a loan and used old trafford as collateral, i.e, if they dont pay the loan, they lose old trafford.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Disabled Account
Banned

Just heard on Five Live, first change is new name/logo etc: LSC

Liverpool Soccer Club
Old 06-02-2007, 04:23 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

Originally Posted by Doug Stirling

Liverpool Soccer Club
You big SPOON!!!!
Old 06-02-2007, 04:28 PM
SapphyMike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i never said anything about old trafford not being full, or them not making money available, but to be honest, united spent a hell of lot more money before the glaziers arrived. but they still took out a loan and used old trafford as collateral, i.e, if they dont pay the loan, they lose old trafford.
While the ground is full, there is no risk to losing it
Old 06-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Disabled Account
Banned

Originally Posted by bud-weis
Originally Posted by Doug Stirling
Liverpool Soccer Club
You big SPOON!!!!
Old 06-02-2007, 04:33 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they will still be the 4th best team in england...
Old 06-02-2007, 04:50 PM
Hardeep_Singh
PassionFord Post Troll

Tbo I wished moores didnt sell and kept the club, as we would have won the league soon maybe next season as were not to far from the top two teams last season we were 9 points away from 1st and 1 point away from 2nd, this season we should be closer to the top spot, but now were gunna have money people will just label us a cheque book team when we do win cups etc

question though why did the old boys wanna sell up?
Old 06-02-2007, 04:51 PM
Hardeep_Singh
PassionFord Post Troll

him and tom hicks are equal partners, the whole deal including paying off liverpools debt and paying for the new ground is £470 million. imo it looks a good deal from the outside, football is the next big thing in america, first you have the beckham deal, then one of the big sports networks has just made a big money deal to show premiership matches live starting from next season. if you look at the business men in charge of the big basketball/baseball teams over there, they are very successfull, and if they can get football to take off in the states, it will bring a lot more money into the game as america is a huge market, thats why you hear the artists in the music industry talking about breaking into the american market. but i suppose time will tell, but initially, it looks a good deal
very good post
Old 06-02-2007, 04:55 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hardeep_Singh
question though why did the old boys wanna sell up?
Moore said he couldn't afford to take the club forward and build the stadium they require.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Hardeep_Singh
PassionFord Post Troll

cool sounds fair enough
Old 06-02-2007, 08:52 PM
PSL

I wonder if they will replace Benitez?? The rumours always start when new people take over a club. Ranieri at Chelsea, Redknapp at Pompey etc
Old 06-02-2007, 09:46 PM
addiction

Originally Posted by paul_ll
I wonder if they will replace Benitez?? The rumours always start when new people take over a club. Ranieri at Chelsea, Redknapp at Pompey etc
i doubt they will replace him just yet! if you watch the full interview on www.liverpoolfc.net they plainly say that they are right behind him and will back him to the hilt it would seem to be exactly what the club needed,let the good times roll
Old 06-02-2007, 10:15 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

I txt Lynne earlier today, the txt said...

USA! USA! USA! USA!

I haven't had a reply yet
Old 07-02-2007, 01:53 AM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

No not "yeah but" at all. Liverpool fans were singing "born in the USA" at the fa cup game last year at anfield. Remember the return game and revenge on neville for teasing Liverpool fans at Old traford?

It had nothing to do with how a club was purchased. Now its come home to roost. I bet they shut up now or just start deflecting the situation like you just have.

As for the two debts, United never had created any debt like Liverpool, Real Madrid or Leeds United etc. they make money. Its the owners debt and they will sort regardless of terms to get it. United are a profiting club, look at all the stadium upgrades over the years, they sorted it by good management and maintainence.

Oh i can't see how Liverpool would have won the league without this. Dream land. Not with Arsenal, Chelski and Untied around. The league is changing now, even smaller clubs like West ham, Portsmouth are splashing the cash.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:38 AM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by skeg

No not "yeah but" at all. Liverpool fans were singing "born in the USA" at the fa cup game last year at anfield. Remember the return game and revenge on neville for teasing Liverpool fans at Old traford?

It had nothing to do with how a club was purchased. Now its come home to roost. I bet they shut up now or just start deflecting the situation like you just have.

As for the two debts, United never had created any debt like Liverpool, Real Madrid or Leeds United etc. they make money. Its the owners debt and they will sort regardless of terms to get it. United are a profiting club, look at all the stadium upgrades over the years, they sorted it by good management and maintainence.

Oh i can't see how Liverpool would have won the league without this. Dream land. Not with Arsenal, Chelski and Untied around. The league is changing now, even smaller clubs like West ham, Portsmouth are splashing the cash.

wtf , im not trying to deflect anything, i dont care if the people who own liverpool are from the bermuda triangle, timbucktoo, or the planet zorg, as long as they do whats rite by liverpool football club. if you read everything i posted above it is about the DEAL itself, i for one have never mentioned anything about where the glaziers are from, ONLY the deal with united, and the loan they took out in order to buy them. all the piss taking from united fans, and all this, you took the piss out of us because we had american owners, now you have, so where gona take the piss out of you, is just sour grapes that united got a deal with someone who needed to borrow money in order to purchase the club, and we didnt, and as far as us not winning the premiership without splashing the cash, thats shite aswell, liverpool have never gone out and spent £30 million on a rio ferdinand, or £28 million on rooney, or a £20 odd million on van nistleroy, or £20 odd million on a veron ( infact, maybe we should forget about that one cos he was pure garbadge ), but we still managed to win the champions league with a team that included vladamir smicer, and milan baros , so if you want me to explain that, we may not have won the premiership, but we have proved we can compete with the biggest teams in europe without spending stupid amounts on players, so just imagine what we can do IF the new owners start throwing money about
Old 07-02-2007, 05:17 AM
Coopsrst
Regular Contributor

You were the worst team ever to win the European cup.

As for the teams you have had over the last ten years im not surprised you havent won the Premiership.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:07 AM
Redkop
Member No: 39

Originally Posted by Coopsrst

As for the teams you have had over the last ten years im not surprised you havent won the Premiership.

For a team whose top purchase cost 14m, they've done consistently well.
Perhaps now we can compete and buy the league like the mancs and chelsea.

£30 million on a rio ferdinand, or £28 million on rooney, or a £20 odd million on van nistleroy, or £20 odd million on a veron
Liverpool bought 21 players for £75m so
Old 07-02-2007, 11:19 AM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

Originally Posted by Coopsrst

what a completely fucking stupid thing to say give me one example of Liverpool being the worst team in the Champions League in 05.....

Was it when we beat Juventus.........No
Was it when we beat a very very strong Chelsea side.......No
Was it when we clawed our way back into the game from 3nil down.....No

i'm sorry but in no way can you be a poor team AND win that Competition!!

i remember 1999 well,United play some simple awesome football that year (as much as i hate to say it!!) yet in the final they were outplayed IMO by Bayern,they still won the game though..through 2 very lucky late goals,you literally stole that cup from under their noses,mugged them!! but you'll still look back on it with pride
Old 07-02-2007, 11:21 AM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

oh and just imagine how good we will be now we have a kitty to spend!!

as Redkop has touched on,we have won plenty of silverware on a limited budget for the past ten years,we've done well just to stay in touch with the other teams in the top 4.

this will move us beyond that and push us back onto the throne we belong on

anyone doubting that is just foolish

the best club,with the best manager,and plenty to spend.....can only mean one thing
Old 07-02-2007, 12:23 PM
cressy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

liverpool f.c now non as anfield red sock soccer club
Old 07-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Originally Posted by paul_ll
I wonder if they will replace Benitez??
I hope they don't!
Old 07-02-2007, 12:34 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

It's a very good point.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:35 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

i'm sure it can be forgotten
Old 07-02-2007, 12:37 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

i'm sure it can be forgotten
yeah probably as we're all friends really
Old 07-02-2007, 12:44 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

Old 07-02-2007, 12:51 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

i'm sorry but in no way can you be a poor team AND win that Competition!!
Of course you can.

You think Greece were the best footballing nation in Europe in 2004?
Old 07-02-2007, 12:53 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

absolutely not,but they were far from being the WORST!!!!!

they got lucky with late goals etc,but they were extremely hard to beat!

they played to their own strengths,but they were hardly playing ugly.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:59 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

I never said the worst.

Simply illustrating that in those sort of competitions, you don't have to be the best team to win.

Having said that, the CL final was one of the most remarkable games in football history!
Old 07-02-2007, 01:02 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

I know you never said it,i was just referring to the fact Coopsrst said we were the worst team to ever lift the European Cup

and yes,it was certainly very memorable

i watch the DVD every now and again,but it's just not the same as the emotions of that night

the build up for weeks and weeks,and it seemingly being over after 45mins was heartbreaking.....you can imagine the rest
Old 07-02-2007, 01:17 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

wtf , im not trying to deflect anything, i dont care if the people who own liverpool are from the bermuda triangle, timbucktoo, or the planet zorg, as long as they do whats rite by liverpool football club. if you read everything i posted above it is about the DEAL itself, i for one have never mentioned anything about where the glaziers are from, ONLY the deal with united, and the loan they took out in order to buy them. all the piss taking from united fans, and all this, you took the piss out of us because we had american owners, now you have, so where gona take the piss out of you, is just sour grapes that united got a deal with someone who needed to borrow money in order to purchase the club, and we didnt, and as far as us not winning the premiership without splashing the cash, thats shite aswell, liverpool have never gone out and spent £30 million on a rio ferdinand, or £28 million on rooney, or a £20 odd million on van nistleroy, or £20 odd million on a veron ( infact, maybe we should forget about that one cos he was pure garbadge ), but we still managed to win the champions league with a team that included vladamir smicer, and milan baros , so if you want me to explain that, we may not have won the premiership, but we have proved we can compete with the biggest teams in europe without spending stupid amounts on players, so just imagine what we can do IF the new owners start throwing money about

LOOK i will spell it out for you then. Someone posted this:

You then replied with this:

Now tell me how the FUCK this makes one bit of difference? Don't give me any of that speil about how part of the money was found for United. Hence why i highlighted the FA game last year at Anfield, LIVERPOOL were clearly singing Bruce Springsteen BORN IN THE USA because of being owned by YANKS not because of anything else. So you are saying its ok now? All forgotten. Typical.

Now you're just further deflecting the situation even more by banging on about what the 2 clubs have spent. Whats that got to do with the original quotes? Nothing. Face it, it's come back to haunt you.

If you want to get techinical with regards to your other comments, you could say Liverpool spent less than the other big clubs and were still in debt. Winning the champions league is what everyone wants to do but its harder to win the Premiership as its 38 games and more strain on the squad. Hence why Liverpool have not won it yet since it began in 92-93.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:27 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Oh and what have Liverpool spent this year? Uniteds summer transfer activity not including young reserve players sold goes like this:

Ruud Van Nistelrooy +£11m
Obei Mikel (Chelski Compensation) +£12m
Michael Carrick -£18m
Overall +£5m

And yet still they are top of the league, last season they were runners up with argubably the worst injuries and came runners up having bought only a keeper and Park for total £6m. So run along.

For me the United v Bayern mucnich in 1999 was a way better comeback than Liverpools in 2004. Liverpool did 1 more goal but Uniteds was harder and more shocking. 89 mins 1-0 and then boom and then another. Did you see the players on the floor? They thought they had it and even Pierre Luigi Collina who reffed the game describes it as the best comeback of all time in his book, saying how he picked some of the Munich players up after the game.

You could see Liverpools coming every time they drove forward and they had more time. I was cheering for Liverpool and almost praying for it but with United i thought it was over.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:08 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

how was it a way better comeback

Man United i beleive were favourites in 1999 for one....

and psychologically it's much much more defficult to retriev a game that you are losing 3-0!!!! at one nil there's always a chance

and i'm sure had Collina written his book after the 2005 final,those comments would be different too!

Quick Reply: liverpool fc