General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

I've moved in with the missus!

Search this Thread

Old 28-01-2007 | 01:59 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Jay - exactly M+S is the same now as it was years ago. Except years ago people thought Sainsbury's was posher than M+S, and now it's the opposite - it's all about advertising! If you market it as as posh, and price it as posh, people will belive it is posh and will pay for the "privilage" And then go on internet forums and sweap blind that it tastes so much better, as they need to justify that for the extra outlay

Humans have a tendency to convince themselves something tastes better, and half the time it's purely a mental thing - you WANT it to taste better, so you BELIVE it does
Old 28-01-2007 | 02:01 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

dont get me started on waitrose
Old 28-01-2007 | 02:01 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Thrush
Jay - exactly M+S is the same now as it was years ago. Except years ago people thought Sainsbury's was posher than M+S, and now it's the opposite - it's all about advertising! If you market it as as posh, and price it as posh, people will belive it is posh and will pay for the "privilage" And then go on internet forums and sweap blind that it tastes so much better, as they need to justify that for the extra outlay

Humans have a tendency to convince themselves something tastes better, and half the time it's purely a mental thing - you WANT it to taste better, so you BELIVE it does

exactly my 16 year is goin through the gimp stage at the mo coz it costs 2000% more its better
Old 28-01-2007 | 02:02 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Originally Posted by GARETH T
get it off ur chest my man
Old 28-01-2007 | 02:03 PM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Originally Posted by JayCos

exactly my 16 year is goin through the gimp stage at the mo coz it costs 2000% more its better

Put a gimp mask on it then Jay and pimp it out
Old 28-01-2007 | 02:04 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

workin on that
Old 28-01-2007 | 02:06 PM
Katie

What I couldn't grasp...is why they built a waitrose down the road from your house?! What's the point? lol
Old 28-01-2007 | 02:06 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

thrush,,,,, i aint a idiot,,,,, im a fat cunt,,, trust me i know my food,,,, i eat out nearly all the time,,,,, i never take a packed lunch to work and i also drink coffee from starbucks,,,,, but i would never buy a sandwich from starbucks as they ARE overpriced and nothing special unlike there coffee

the food from marks isnt pikey microwave tv dinners,,,, alot of there food os oven cook also,,,,,, i can remember marks doing a oven cook lasagne ( cant think how the fuck you spell it but i am on alot of drugs right now ) that fucked me off as it took 50 mins to cook,,,, but the birdseye shite is fucking bolloks

sainsburys actually decided to be a posher place to shop,,,, back when i was a kid sainsburys was the CHEEPO place to buy shopping,, remember my mum spending 30 quid a week at sainsburys,,, then they employed jamie oliver to up there class of custom a few years ago
Old 28-01-2007 | 02:07 PM
Mr C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

fair play to you mate, first couple of shops cost way more than you expect, couple of hundred quid easy, things you buy for the first time but last a while but you havent got in the cupboard to begin with, toothpaste, sauces, ketchup, cutlery, cereals, food for the freezer etc etc, we got ours down to about Ł60 a week now and I eat too much really.
Old 28-01-2007 | 02:10 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by Katie
What I couldn't grasp...is why they built a waitrose down the road from your house?! What's the point? lol
i know kay,, its crazy.. people travel miles to go there aswell! if full of the same shit as tescos

it was funny at christmas, they was handing out glasses of wine at the entrance, people buying there posh fruit bread with a glass of cheap shit wine in there hands

they didnt even offer me a glass
Old 28-01-2007 | 02:10 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

oh and heres a thing i fucking HATE with my shoping,,,,,, i always buy fucking bread and NEVER fucking seem to eat it,,,,, i swear i thow away more bread than i fucking buy

ive just chucked a loaf of bread away that i aint even fucking opened

why aint the smaller loafs STILL the same shape as the normal loafs

oh and i buy my bread at gregs these days as it lasts a few extra days,,,, but i do like warburtons bread,,,,, or is that me thinking its better cause it costs more ( though i aint got a clue what a loaf of bread even costs )
Old 28-01-2007 | 02:12 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

you like ur labels ginge dont you
Old 28-01-2007 | 02:12 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by Ginge !
oh and heres a thing i fucking HATE with my shoping,,,,,, i always buy fucking bread and NEVER fucking seem to eat it,,,,, i swear i thow away more bread than i fucking buy

oh and i buy my bread at gregs these days as it lasts a few extra days,,,, but i do like warburtons bread,,,,, or is that me thinking its better cause it costs more ( though i aint got a clue what a loaf of bread even costs )
eat more beans of toast mate
Old 28-01-2007 | 02:15 PM
Katie

I just buy bread for my uni housemate now it seems..I buy it in desperation that I'll be without it..the day before the use by date he'll eat all but 2 pieces and I'll have toast. lol

Our other housemate has had the same loaf frozen since september I'd imagine...
Old 28-01-2007 | 02:16 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Originally Posted by cocofireblade
Correct me if im wrong bit aint most of the food you get in M+S packet food that just needs bunged in the microwave and heated up !!

My wife reckons all the people that shop in M+S cant cook and make the food themselves and obviously have to much money !!!!
lol that is true but it is decent none the less!

thrush
I'm having none of that mate! M+S food IS decent! Sandwiches, crisps, ready meals, biscuits, puddings etc etc are sooo much better than other places!
Old 28-01-2007 | 02:19 PM
BUK
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

yep, M&S food is a lot better than other places, why i dont know, some places will sell the same stuff yes, but not all of it.

if you can microwave a meal , you can also put it in the oven to cook
Old 28-01-2007 | 02:19 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

The ability of this forum to go massively off topic still amazes me at times...
Old 28-01-2007 | 02:20 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

nope im just a fussy fucker with things like that,,,,,, the missus HATES going shopping with me,,, cause i will buy some stuff in marks and spencer,,, then go to tescos for there chocolate deserts as they are fucking ACE aswell as there microwave steamed meatball/pasta meals/soups

i only eat wholeweat spaghetti and the beans made by branstons,,,,, i dont eat pork,,,, just cause there a fucking dirty animal who choose to play in there own shite

im a fussy cunt when it comes to eating,,, cant help it

though im not a snob as im a poor cunt
Old 28-01-2007 | 02:21 PM
Katie

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
So far though it's still maintaining valid debate though...albeit tremendously irrelevant
Old 28-01-2007 | 02:23 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by Katie
So far though it's still maintaining valid debate though...albeit tremendously irrelevant
i just love the topics whick pop up on here! for some mad reason they never come up on the ferrari forum i use
Old 28-01-2007 | 02:24 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Not heard of a freezer? You put stuff in it, and it then keeps for a long time

I'll actually go with you on one here Al - I also buy the Warburtons bread - but thats purely cos the bags it comes in helps it last a little while longer (without freezing it ). The "stay fresh" bags Tesco have are shite, but yet the Warburtons bread seems to stay fresher for longer

And yes, I agree. Why can't we buy "half loaves" that are still proper sized slices?!?!?! Why do they have to be "miniture" sized? THink I will just buy a normal loaf and then freeze half of it till I need it
Old 28-01-2007 | 02:24 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

theres just no pleasing some people,,,, one min theres complaints cause the forum is on a negative vibe and everybody is trying to fight each other and we have to ban half the members,,,,, now theres compaints cause we all have a discustion and we all work together to talk about it

not to mentio YOUR reply was actually OFF TOPIC now
Old 28-01-2007 | 02:25 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

M&S food IS a different level of quality.

I shop there every Friday, and you can taste the difference, especially in the quality of the "fresh" veg.

I should know, as I cook at least one meal for 8 or more at least once a week, and the difference is remarkable if for whatever reason I'm forced into Tesco....
Old 28-01-2007 | 02:28 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

freezing bread is wank,, it dont taste like fresh bread anymore,,,, id rather cut the green mould spots off the crust than eat frozen bread,,,, my parents to that,,,,, i NEVER make sandwichs at my parents house and instead eat the rolls,,,,, just cause they are never frozen

they also free fucking milk,,,,, milk ffs is like 30p a pint,,,,, how fucking strange is that

though saying that i DO now store my charlie in the freezer and that seems to taste the same
Old 28-01-2007 | 02:28 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

how long can you keep a chichen fresh for?...............

my freezer must be fucked then,,, i stuck one in there last night and it was dead this morning
Old 28-01-2007 | 02:30 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

pon you cook for 8 people

fuck that,,,, now i can see why you use marks...... 8 ready meals for 30 quid and your family think your fucking jamie oliver

there deserts,,,,, fucking LOVE THEM SOOO MUCH,,,,, im eating a chocolate muffin moose thingy right now actually,,,,, see,,,,,, love the food there
Old 28-01-2007 | 02:59 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Mate, I love cooking - do it as much as possible.

Try and get fresh produce from Borough market if I can, but Marks stuff, along with Waitrose, is streets ahead of the chilled vegetables they chuck on the floor at Tesco.

It's all about quantity purchases for these big supermarkets......
Old 28-01-2007 | 03:09 PM
Adrian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Who in there right mind buys ready meals? Have you seen the salt content?

I shop at Tesco and Sainsbury's. M&S is just relabeled produce made by other manufactures. Look at the Sausages in M&S, bet they are rebadged George Adams stuff (they are in Norfolk as I know a few people that work for Adams and have shown me the M&S goods on the van).

Only place you will get decent quality produce is Farm shops, Farmers Markets and the local bakery. I use one of the above 3 at least once a week. Market whenever I can get to it.

As Jay said above, the desserts are from the same production line as Iceland etc.

As for the clothes? Dont get me started on M&S crap. Very badly put together and quality of cloth is diabolical. Rather shop in Debenhams

M&S in Norwich is full of pensioners or Norwich Union Employees.. Right Richard?
Old 28-01-2007 | 03:18 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Adrian
Who in there right mind buys ready meals? Have you seen the salt content?

I shop at Tesco and Sainsbury's. M&S is just relabeled produce made by other manufactures. Look at the Sausages in M&S, bet they are rebadged George Adams stuff (they are in Norfolk as I know a few people that work for Adams and have shown me the M&S goods on the van).

Only place you will get decent quality produce is Farm shops, Farmers Markets and the local bakery. I use one of the above 3 at least once a week. Market whenever I can get to it.

As Jay said above, the desserts are from the same production line as Iceland etc.

As for the clothes? Dont get me started on M&S crap. Very badly put together and quality of cloth is diabolical. Rather shop in Debenhams

M&S in Norwich is full of pensioners or Norwich Union Employees.. Right Richard?

well said adrian as i said before worked for a company that supplied them
Old 28-01-2007 | 04:08 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Adrian,

I agree with you to some extent, but I was only talking about fresh produce.

My mum's friend is a buyer for M&S and my mum was a buyer for Tesco, so I have a good idea where stuff comes from.

It's the treatment of fresh vood that varies between places. Because of the quantity, the very big places chill everything, which causes it to bruise very easily.

However, like I said, we try the farmer's markets as often as possible, although the supermarkets are getting wise to it and bringing in the market produce.. and then jacking up the price!

As for Norwich M&S, that's pensioners, NU workers, AND students going up in the world!
Old 28-01-2007 | 04:12 PM
Anonymous
Banned

.....i bet you people that shop in m&s wear there clothes too ROFL
Old 28-01-2007 | 04:21 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

phil honestlygo in there oxfords street branch and havea look at there suits,, there fucking good quality honestly

in also got a M&S t-shirt that nobody belives is M&S
Old 28-01-2007 | 04:22 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

oh and a long jacket for my suit is also from M&S,,,, and i was advised to get one from there by a doorman at a club who was wearing one
Old 28-01-2007 | 04:50 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

how long can you keep a chichen fresh for?...............

my freezer must be fucked then,,, i stuck one in there last night and it was dead this morning
well it made me laugh
Old 28-01-2007 | 04:51 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

bloodyhell, this thread went south

FYi it cost that much becasue we had to buy EVERYTHING, hopefully it'll cost less than half that going forward

its adding up PROPER quick tho. 140 in shopping yesterday, 200 in argos today, 100 in maplins, probably another 200quid on other shit i cant remember (maybe i'm blocking bad thoughts? )

i want to move back with mummy now

oh, and we've discovered that the letters on the washing machine have worn off, so you cant see what program you're selecting how the fuck are we meant to wash any clothes?
Old 28-01-2007 | 04:57 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by Jim Galbally

oh, and we've discovered that the letters on the washing machine have worn off, so you cant see what program you're selecting how the fuck are we meant to wash any clothes?
what you move the dial? we leave it on the same
Old 28-01-2007 | 05:01 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jim Galbally

i want to move back with mummy now
over a monkey in one day id fuckin move back to
Old 28-01-2007 | 05:10 PM
BUK
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by RichardPON
M&S food IS a different level of quality.

I shop there every Friday, and you can taste the difference, especially in the quality of the "fresh" veg.

I should know, as I cook at least one meal for 8 or more at least once a week, and the difference is remarkable if for whatever reason I'm forced into Tesco....
well said that man