General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Sky HD, what do people think?

Search this Thread

Old 17-01-2007, 07:58 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sky HD, what do people think?

I had it installed the other day and have to say I am pretty underwhelmed to be honest! Picture is very good. But then it was very good to start with on Sky+ I thought

I was expecting it to blow my mind!

Whats other peoples views?
Old 17-01-2007, 08:02 AM
cahzz
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

well to be totally honest i basically got my money and burned it when i went for sky HD, normal sky was more than adequate for what i needed and to be honest it seems like a gimmick to me as i cant really see a massive improvement. so waste of money for me, the only thing that keeps me from feeling totally scammed is the box looks cool
Old 17-01-2007, 08:06 AM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im not over impressed to be honest. real HD Content selection is poor at the moment and the claimed improvements are not visable with the majority of content dependent upon upscaling.... Overall the advantages do not justify upgrading at this time imho
Old 17-01-2007, 08:10 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

thank fook for that, i was abot to make the plunge at the end of the month
Old 17-01-2007, 08:20 AM
ESCYSCOTT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

i've had it now for about 6 months or so and can honestly say imo its great on some things like the football and movies but not so noticable on "normal" broadcasts. May have something to do with how they shoot the shows and if they use HD equipment?? Obviously depends what your watching it on aswell I suppose
Old 17-01-2007, 08:26 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad i hacvent got it then. Plus you have to buy a HD Tv at great expense too
Old 17-01-2007, 08:41 AM
Dave Henshall
PassionFord Post Whore!!

its all a scam!!

the quaility of the picture USED to be really really good on sky, but as they increas e the number of channels and since launching HD, they have deliberately increasded the compression on the channels to make them more fuzzy and digitised, just watch some of the cheaper channels like rapture, eurosport on a lar tv and they are live watching then on a 640x480 vga monior FFS, whereas in the past they were all pin sharp.

its the same with DAB radio, for example radio 1 FM used to be 100% good signal ALL the time and mega strong anywhere in the UK with no signal dropping or interferance - since DAB has come about, they have turned down the power on the FM deliberately to make it look inferior to DAB, exactly the same as sky are doing with HD,

its just a new technology that they want you to PAY more for for the same quality that you had prior to them investing money in it and wanting to reap some profits back,

some may say its technology for technology's sake i'm nto even a technophobe, i program computers, and am all for gadgets - it just winds me up when they try to make out that you are think and will just buy into their new toy by making the old stuff sh1te on purpose to force you to change!

rant over
Old 17-01-2007, 09:23 AM
lead_foot
is awesome

Bunch of cunts.
Old 17-01-2007, 09:34 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave Henshall

That is an interesting way of looking at it and one i would never have picked up on. Even more glad i aint got it now
Old 17-01-2007, 09:56 AM
Rippers
Monte Geek

Depends on a few things TV, connection and the broadcasted program..

My issue is the lack of Sky HD content for your £10 pcm

Football looks amazing and the odd movie and program..
but thats it as far as HD goes

I see Dave Henshall's point of view but personally I think the lack of quailty is the fact we have such large televisions these days.. the bigger the screen the more detail you see.. the worst it looks.. I still maintain there is no point having HD unless you have at least a 42" screen..

The other thing that gets me is the way HD is promoted in shops been to a couple of Argos' now where they have had a group of Plasma's and LCD's with demo DVD's playing with 'HD see the difference' on the demo yet the picture blatently not HD or even Progressive scan and has a yellow video lead stuck in the side of the screens from the shops DVD splitter

I personally do rate HD, some Sky content, Xbox360 is breath taking and my Wii isn't too bad either (even thou is 480P)
Old 17-01-2007, 10:06 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Xbox 360 in HD is STUNNING!!! Just amazing!

Don't get me wrong, the picture from Sky HD is very very very very good

Its just that the picture from the Normal Sky channels is almost equally as impressive on my Screen. Its a 43' Pionner Plasma. Soon to be changed for a bigger one though. Going to stick with Pionner though. Stunning Screens

For another tenner a month its worth it for the cooler looking box and controller easily

and my mum has now got my old Sky + box for nothing
Old 17-01-2007, 10:13 AM
Rippers
Monte Geek

Originally Posted by Porkie
For another tenner a month its worth it for the cooler looking box and controller easily
biggest plus side for me aswell
Old 17-01-2007, 10:23 AM
dojj

but the xbox360 isn't even proper hd and it looks really pin sharp on the 42" plasma lost planet is spot on and i was really dissapointed when sky's hd wasn't as cheap as, say, sky+ is

if the extra price was swallowed up by sky i'd get the hd box tomorrow and pay the extra £10 for it, but forking out £300 for the box only for the footy is not going to happen
Old 17-01-2007, 10:28 AM
stonehavencossie
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by Dave Henshall
its all a scam!!

the quaility of the picture USED to be really really good on sky, but as they increas e the number of channels and since launching HD, they have deliberately increasded the compression on the channels to make them more fuzzy and digitised, just watch some of the cheaper channels like rapture, eurosport on a lar tv and they are live watching then on a 640x480 vga monior FFS, whereas in the past they were all pin sharp.

its the same with DAB radio, for example radio 1 FM used to be 100% good signal ALL the time and mega strong anywhere in the UK with no signal dropping or interferance - since DAB has come about, they have turned down the power on the FM deliberately to make it look inferior to DAB, exactly the same as sky are doing with HD,

its just a new technology that they want you to PAY more for for the same quality that you had prior to them investing money in it and wanting to reap some profits back,

some may say its technology for technology's sake i'm nto even a technophobe, i program computers, and am all for gadgets - it just winds me up when they try to make out that you are think and will just buy into their new toy by making the old stuff sh1te on purpose to force you to change!

rant over
sorry mate your wrong. this is an urban myth !

sky do not control 80% of the channels we see on our sky boxes and have nothing to do with their compression rates. people are just paranoid !!!

sky currently make no money from the £10 subscription as the costs are so high to broadcast.

i know how guilty sky can be for taking our 'money for nothing' but on this occasion i thank them for at least getting the country goin with hd material !!

As for sky hd itself. All the HD channels are not continously broacasting proper HD which some people do not seem to understand.

BBC HD, footie in HD and some movies are simply stunning. Some of the Discovery/NG stuff is very good. Sky One's new series are also getting much better. Lost was fantastic.

All in all its down to how much you watch tv and how much you value your picture.

I got my sky hd box for £150 which i was happy to pay and currently do not begrudge my £10 a month subscription. The more people that join the more likely the fee will be absorbed.

p.s. The standard settings for most tv's do not do sky hd justice. Have you guys that arent paricularly happy optimised your settings ?
Old 17-01-2007, 10:29 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Was it £300?? did not see that bit. Guess that came out of my account then Nice looking box Bigger hard drive as well I always filled my Sky+ one up

only ordered it the other day as there was a good program on Discovery HD and I was screwing that I couldn't watch it! They put it in the next day for me Top service. I do like Sky
Old 17-01-2007, 10:31 AM
stonehavencossie

Originally Posted by dojj
but the xbox360 isn't even proper hd and it looks really pin sharp on the 42" plasma lost planet is spot on and i was really dissapointed when sky's hd wasn't as cheap as, say, sky+ is

if the extra price was swallowed up by sky i'd get the hd box tomorrow and pay the extra £10 for it, but forking out £300 for the box only for the footy is not going to happen
xbox 360 isnt proper hd ?????

errrr yes it is

720p and 1080i are HD sources.

The dash update will also allow 1080p

dont be fooled by the ps3 propaganda !
Old 17-01-2007, 10:32 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by stonehavencossie
Originally Posted by Dave Henshall
its all a scam!!

rant over

sky do not control 80% of the channels we see on our sky boxes and have nothing to do with their compression rates. people are just paranoid !!!

sky currently make no money from the £10 subscription as the costs are so high to broadcast.

i know how guilty sky can be for taking our 'money for nothing' but on this occasion i thank them for at least getting the country goin with hd material !!

As for sky hd itself. All the HD channels are not continously broacasting proper HD which some people do not seem to understand.

BBC HD, footie in HD and some movies are simply stunning. Some of the Discovery/NG stuff is very good. Sky One's new series are also getting much better. Lost was fantastic.

?
Great info thanks I thought that Dave was talking bollox!
Old 17-01-2007, 10:36 AM
CabrioTurbo
PassionFord Post Troll

my mum and dad have just had a new 3k pioneer 50" plasma tv and for about a week had sky+ when they ordered sky HD i was expecting to see a difference to the normal channels esp given the fact that the screen is pretty big!
However there is almost no difference at all in quality of picture, the standard sky+ picture in all fairness was VERY good on the tv but the change to HD has just made no difference to that, for example if you go to normal sky sports then flick to sky sports HD you wouldnt even know you had changed!
Old 17-01-2007, 10:38 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Cabrio Turbo, that was exactly the point I was trying to make

But the normal channels should NOT be any different so I don't know how you expected them to be better

Only the HD channels should improve. There is a difference... just not as big as I thought it would be.
Old 17-01-2007, 10:41 AM
stonehavencossie

Originally Posted by CabrioTurbo
my mum and dad have just had a new 3k pioneer 50" plasma tv and for about a week had sky+ when they ordered sky HD i was expecting to see a difference to the normal channels esp given the fact that the screen is pretty big!
However there is almost no difference at all in quality of picture, the standard sky+ picture in all fairness was VERY good on the tv but the change to HD has just made no difference to that, for example if you go to normal sky sports then flick to sky sports HD you wouldnt even know you had changed!
the sky hd box makes very little difference to sky sd feeds but some people do report a slight improvement due to the hdmi connection. ultimately thats not what the sky hd box is for !!

however, the majority of the time the sd picture will remain the same from sky + to sky hd because the tv's scaler is dealing with the picture.
Old 17-01-2007, 10:43 AM
CabrioTurbo
PassionFord Post Troll

i think there might actually be a noticable difference if you dont have a hideously expensive TV to begin with, for example if you have a cheap £800 HD ready plasma with sky+ then change to HD im sure you would see a difference...
The fact is the picture on my parents TV was that good anyway that the HD has made fook all difference!
i swear my dad must have shares in sky he pays a fortune for sky multiroom, sky HD and prem plus season ticket! along with all the channels that he never watches!
Old 17-01-2007, 10:46 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by CabrioTurbo
i swear my dad must have shares in sky he pays a fortune for sky multiroom, sky HD and prem plus season ticket! along with all the channels that he never watches!
I do all that... plus I pay my mums, sisters and Grandads subscriptions!!! so your dad should think himself lucky
Old 17-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Rippers
Monte Geek

My SkyHD box is connected twice to my tv.. via rgb scart for normal tv and HDMI for HD as normal TV despite being brighter and less noiser through the HDMI socket stretchs normal broadcasts
Old 17-01-2007, 11:09 AM
Ridgey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 120 Posts

Fook,,,,,,, how much do these ass hole technology companies want us to spend on fookin TVs. Most of the population need to get off there fat asses any way and do SOMETHING.

It's getting ridiculus, 50"+ tv, expensive decoder boxes and bloody diabolical monthly subscription fees (£30+ per month).

Soon it'll be more expensivbe than running a car.......
Old 17-01-2007, 11:11 AM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I got the Sky HD installed after two failed attempts due to an engineer no show! I got compensated after i complained and ended up my Sky HD box cost £6 I also got 6 months free subscription for my troubles.

This brings me to the point, Had I paid £300 for the box and then £10 a month I would be mortified at the quality for the price, at £149 as the deal is now is a little more appealing.

The BBC HD channel broadcasts some good quality programmes as does Sky Movies HD, the Star Wars movies where top notch as was I-Robot.
Old 17-01-2007, 11:33 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Dave Ridge
Fook,,,,,,, how much do these ass hole technology companies want us to spend on fookin TVs. Most of the population need to get off there fat asses any way and do SOMETHING.

It's getting ridiculus, 50"+ tv, expensive decoder boxes and bloody diabolical monthly subscription fees (£30+ per month).

Soon it'll be more expensivbe than running a car.......
Er??? what??

Decent TV's are cheaper than EVER!!!! you can get a lovely 32' CRT telly for silly money now! I remember buying a Sony 32' CRT a few years ago for almost 2k. You can get a similar thing for about £400 now!!! and also there are Freeview Satelite boxes... Sony DVD players for under £50!!! So Great Tv with awesome pictures and channels for very little money.

Even the top end stuff is always coming down in price! Look at the quality and price of Plasmas now compared with say 3 years ago!!
Old 17-01-2007, 11:45 AM
Ridgey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 120 Posts

It just pisses me off, within 6mth everythings out of date/half the price. How many sockets do we now need behind our tv's,....well its gonna be an extra one when we are FORCED to get digital boxes for every tv.

Why the fook do i pay a TV licence...apparently it is so i can be indirectly forced to spend more money..

If it aint broke don't fix it....................
Old 17-01-2007, 11:59 AM
dojj

from what everyone has said, the xbox360 is not proper hd compatable but the pic is deffo better with the other connections

as for the hd deal being cheaper now, i might get something invested
does it come with the sky+ deal as well? does this now mean i'd have to pay an extra £10 for the sky+ and another £10 for the hd lark?
if so they can get stuff
Old 17-01-2007, 12:07 PM
EvilFranky
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

What resolution do Sky broadcast their HD content? 1080p?
Old 17-01-2007, 12:48 PM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got a 28" crt tv (old man's old one) and on sky+ the picture's quite good. Downstairs we have a 32" crt jobbie, and the picture is excellent. However, the local pub has 3 samsung HD tv's, and they have skyHD and the footie look's fucking crystal crisp compared to what I have at home.

Although, the sound has gone down a tad
Old 17-01-2007, 12:51 PM
MATCOS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Where can it be bought for £150.00, the SKY website says £300.00?
Old 17-01-2007, 01:45 PM
stonehavencossie

Originally Posted by dojj
from what everyone has said, the xbox360 is not proper hd compatable but the pic is deffo better with the other connections

as for the hd deal being cheaper now, i might get something invested
does it come with the sky+ deal as well? does this now mean i'd have to pay an extra £10 for the sky+ and another £10 for the hd lark?
if so they can get stuff
there speaking nonsense

the xbox 360 is proper hd. fact

if you subscribe to movies or sports the hd will be £10 which includes sky + facilities
Old 17-01-2007, 01:46 PM
stonehavencossie

Originally Posted by EvilFranky
What resolution do Sky broadcast their HD content? 1080p?
1080i
Old 17-01-2007, 01:50 PM
stonehavencossie

Originally Posted by MATCOS
if you have bought anything over the price of £150 in comet over the past year they will do it for £150 via a deal with sky.

i went in with a receipt my gran had. they never even asked to see it.

as far as i know currys get £30 directly from you and you pay sky £129.99

so even if you dont have a receipt just go in and chance your arm and say youve lost your receipt if they ask. im sure there just happy to take the £30

existing customers are also supposed to pay a £60 installation fee but i was never asked for this
Old 17-01-2007, 02:02 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by MATCOS
if you have bought anything over the price of £150 in comet over the past year they will do it for £150 via a deal with sky.

i went in with a receipt my gran had. they never even asked to see it.

as far as i know currys get £30 directly from you and you pay sky £129.99

so even if you dont have a receipt just go in and chance your arm and say youve lost your receipt if they ask. im sure there just happy to take the £30

existing customers are also supposed to pay a £60 installation fee but i was never asked for this
DOH!!!!

I spent £3k in Comet only 3 weeks ago!!!

So thats another £210 I wasted
Old 17-01-2007, 04:47 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been thinking of getting SKY HD but may wait a while now for it to come down in price tbh
Old 17-01-2007, 04:52 PM
Rs Baz
PassionFord Post Whore!!

as you say porkie the picture is good but its just another way of getting more money of you lot,,

sky hd only has something like 3 true hd channels and you pay another £10 extra for this

i worked for sky t.v and know alot of ways how to get your system repaird
without paying there fooking rip off £65 fee.........
Old 17-01-2007, 04:57 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

ill get it when they got more channels to choose from
Old 17-01-2007, 05:49 PM
Dave Henshall
PassionFord Post Whore!!

hmmm, its not one ive heard of, this is just from my own observation, ive had sky for 10+ years and the quality of the picture on a lot of the channels is noticeably digitised - like watching a utube video

perhaps the loss of analogue radio signal is to do with the increase of air traffic like mobiles, dab, and freeview etc , but it again is noticably getting worse and worse the closer to the analogue swicth off date...
Old 17-01-2007, 05:54 PM
Stoo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I can't really justify that amount of money to watch The Simpsons in HD, allthough, it is a good program...

Quick Reply: Sky HD, what do people think?