General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Ever Raced a P1

Search this Thread

Old 29-12-2006, 06:11 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyLee53
Originally Posted by JonnyBravo
Originally Posted by danneth

LMAO i have never ever ever read so much crap on a car forum post

Believe what you may mate, rolling start 2nd gear both cars I could stick with them, the evo would have the edge on me at 120mph.

Only played with the Scoob a few times but 2nd gear until around a ton was the same. I heard the P1 and the Evo had a race one night and the P1 was faster overall.

That was off gas btw, as on gas I'd run out of revs long before they caught me.

My engine was a 40k xe taken from a Calibra that had been stood 7 years

As for the nova on 150hp nitrous not keeping with a Evo 6, either the evo has been tweeked or the nova is a sack of shit.

My 1/4 mile was 13.051 @ 112mph

Lapped the ring in under 9 mins on first visit.

Might need to draw your attention to a particular Corsa that runs 11's on gas, it maybe tuned but power to weight clearly is what its all about.

I'm not a twat and I'm quite aware that a Evo is a quick point to point car, until tuned though there not as quick as everyone seems to believe, they launch hard as do scoobs but once rolling there not that fast.
Maybe you had your gas on and didn't notice?

As an Evo standard should do 13 deads. At a slightly slower terminal.

The Nova is owned by the same kid as the old CossVaux van. It's direct port, has a progressor bottle warmer etc. Over 2k's worth off kit IIRC. He's not going to put it on a smokey old XE as the kids got about 10 in his garage. Although my I add traction was the biggest problem on this night.

I have seen the corsa that runs an 11.8, its a XE on TBs and 150+ shot of nitrous?

Been a tw@ or not is debatable. Please may i make you aware I drove both cars back to back on a daily basis. My Evo is standard, my XE was tuned. Theres a BIG difference.
The XE was great fun, (if you like to wheelspin) and it was a laugh to drive. But please get out of your car and drive an Evo.
I have raced 2 MR340 Evo 8's in my car and beat them both. Although its very close and they would no doubt be quicker 120+.

Not many people launch there Evo's and the 1s who do either have way too much money a stupidly fast car with a very good clutch, or just simply no mechanical sympathy.

Not sure where you live but by all means fill your gas up and I can show you the difference?
Once again, look at the terminals of these 13 sec runs ? its all made up off the start which is why I cross the line on gas over 10 mph faster, you will NOT get a evo or scoob to run a low 13 by crawling off the line.

I broke the car up last year mate but tbh I have nothing to prove as I spent a year doing that to plenty of peoples disgust.

BTW the evo in question is a GSR so 280 bhp ? I know I would stand no chance against a MR but I never said I did, however on gas given the chance I would happily take one on if I still had the car.

I'm not trying to get to you mate as if you say you've got one then have your own opinion, I know what my car was capable off.

Oh and the maybe I had my gas on remark just because your mates car was built my cossvaux and mine was built on my driveway it does not mean there car is any better or tbh any good at all, even if it has 2k worth of nitrous kit maybe they should get a better supplier if thats what he was charged for it.
Old 29-12-2006, 06:12 PM
RickyLee53
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thing with performance cars is you need to check things.

Problem with scoobies is they are now pretty cheap.

You can get any idiot picking them up for 3k and treating them with no respect. Not letting them cool down. (IIRC 1 problem with them is there oil galleries easily get blocked.)

They don't check the oil and they run out and break.

That reminds me I should check the oil in the S2000, the Honda s2000 is probably 1 of the most reliable engines possible. with 240bhp but stock internals have been known to take 450bhp when turbo'd but they still break with no oil. And yes they do use oil.

I have a friend who has had 2 bottom end rebuilds.
Another who ran 400bhp without it breaking. He now run's over 600bhp obviously its VERY modified.
Old 29-12-2006, 06:19 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Just read your nova wheelspin comment

The fact I had a LSD meant no wheelspin so suprisingly enough that might be why yours doesn't feel quick.

I'll say it again but add some bits for fairness.

In the dry rolling start in 2nd gear in a stripped out nova xe with a LSD accelerates as fast as a EVO 7 GSR

No lies in the above statement
Old 29-12-2006, 06:31 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im lost as to why i can keep up with xe's but wouldn't dream of trying it with an evo
Old 29-12-2006, 06:36 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Right, its not worth me going on as I cant prove anything and clearly you find it quite unbelievable.

Find me a time machine and the race is on mate.

Only clip I have of my car is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX9PeXxUezw
Old 29-12-2006, 06:39 PM
RickyLee53

Just read your nova wheelspin comment

The fact I had a LSD meant no wheelspin so suprisingly enough that might be why yours doesn't feel quick.

I'll say it again but add some bits for fairness.

In the dry rolling start in 2nd gear in a stripped out nova xe with a LSD accelerates as fast as a EVO 7 GSR

No lies in the above statement
I'l say it again for fairness. I owned both, 1 was stripped out and tuned.
1 was standard. The differences was HUGE.

I got in the Corsa wheel spin or not and no bullshit. Thought I used to think this was quick

Admittedly the main reason is because of the smooth power delivery. Not like a turbo car.

Your Nova on nitrous is the same speed as a standard Evo down the strip...

It won't handle as well, wont drive as good, won't stop as good (unless we'r talking literally stopping, breaking down) and won't grip out of corners. The good thing though, is you can push it to the limit, and past it should you wish, as you could crash 1 a week and it would still be cheaper than a night out on the pi55.

Although the above said, i'l build another as a runabout and was hoping to have another 2 days ago. Nothing on the road for Ł1000 beats them IMO.
Old 29-12-2006, 06:59 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Not ever seen a GSR run a 13 dead tbh but not saying its not possible.

I didn't race ANY other evo's on the road except my mates, I did however race shedloads up the strip and very few got anywhere near.

I have seen the odd MR or FQ run into the low 13's but quite a rarirty tbh, plenty talk it but not many do it.

As for reliability, well as far as modded cars go I'd say vauxhalls are one of the best about, mine NEVER let me down and was used everyday for work, ring trips, towed someone home from the ring too.

Also I might add that corsas stripped or not are not as quick as a nova of same spec.

I got away from novas for this exact reason, arguments over them not being quick, not handling braking being shite, all those things I sorted but still you get no respect so it had to go.

They maybe fun for a grand for running to work and back in but if you want it for the track then your going to need to find another couple of grand to get the other bits sorted correctly.
Old 29-12-2006, 07:04 PM
timrud
BANNED
BANNED

Rick, whats your best 0-60 in that Evo, just out of curiosity?

Random fact of the day, 22b is the hexidecimel of 555.
Old 29-12-2006, 07:13 PM
RickyLee53

Not ever seen a GSR run a 13 dead tbh but not saying its not possible.

I didn't race ANY other evo's on the road except my mates, I did however race shedloads up the strip and very few got anywhere near.

I have seen the odd MR or FQ run into the low 13's but quite a rarirty tbh, plenty talk it but not many do it.

As for reliability, well as far as modded cars go I'd say vauxhalls are one of the best about, mine NEVER let me down and was used everyday for work, ring trips, towed someone home from the ring too.

Also I might add that corsas stripped or not are not as quick as a nova of same spec.

I got away from novas for this exact reason, arguments over them not being quick, not handling braking being shite, all those things I sorted but still you get no respect so it had to go.

They maybe fun for a grand for running to work and back in but if you want it for the track then your going to need to find another couple of grand to get the other bits sorted correctly.
Not many like to launch them, but its been done. There just totally totally different.
Ye Corsa's will be a bit heavier.

Tim, never had it timed, and as i said, i never launch it. I've got a video of 0-100 in 10.5 seconds, 100 on the clocks though, so thats really about 96mph. Again, without a launch. 60 will be in around 5 seconds.

Whats yours?

Oh and tim... Whats a Hexidecimal?
Old 29-12-2006, 08:16 PM
m_nettleship
PassionFord Post Troll

Intresting
Old 30-12-2006, 02:48 AM
Fagin
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by James
Has anyone heard of the newer type scoobys needing engine rebuilds then?

Cos a scooby dealer near me reckons they do a rebuild about once a month, under warrenty i believe, so not 3 years old yet. Apparently they drink oil and people buy them don't open the bonnets between services.

Now, do they use oil like that or is that a unusual failure rate?
This is more than an unusual failure rate, believe me! Do some research and you will find the newage engines are very very strong (and the transmission on the STi is to match). A company that I know very well rebuilds Subaru engines as their core business.... newage engines requiring rebuilds are very few and far between in the trade.

Obviously cars that are abused can fall in to another catagory and you will always get the odd bad one.

If they drink oil then there is something wrong with the engine. Mine doesnt lose a drop and is used harder than a large % of newage engines. Infact, it has been the most reliable car I have ever owned (i.e. it has not caused me any problems in 2yrs), which considering its modification level and the type of use it has had over the past 12 months is nothing short of being an ideal motor in my eyes. I can turn up to an event, drive it hard for 60 laps in a day and drive it back home again.

As with anything it all comes down to having the right people do the right preparation.

I have never once had any niggles of worrying about it's reliabilty when driving at an event or on the road.
Old 30-12-2006, 06:53 AM
m_nettleship
PassionFord Post Troll

Dealers say that 7500 miles per service when the oil needs replacing really every 3000 just like a cossie.
Old 30-12-2006, 09:58 AM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fagin

Cos a scooby dealer near me reckons they do a rebuild about once a month, under warrenty i believe, so not 3 years old yet. Apparently they drink oil and people buy them don't open the bonnets between services.

This is more than an unusual failure rate, believe me! Do some research and you will find the newage engines are very very strong (and the transmission on the STi is to match). A company that I know very well rebuilds Subaru engines as their core business.... newage engines requiring rebuilds are very few and far between in the trade.

Obviously cars that are abused can fall in to another catagory and you will always get the odd bad one.

If they drink oil then there is something wrong with the engine. Mine doesnt lose a drop and is used harder than a large % of newage engines. Infact, it has been the most reliable car I have ever owned (i.e. it has not caused me any problems in 2yrs), which considering its modification level and the type of use it has had over the past 12 months is nothing short of being an ideal motor in my eyes. I can turn up to an event, drive it hard for 60 laps in a day and drive it back home again.

As with anything it all comes down to having the right people do the right preparation.

I have never once had any niggles of worrying about it's reliabilty when driving at an event or on the road.
In that case i'm assuming the geezer that told me this is talking shit!

do the newer ones [bug eye and sooner] require 97ron fuel?
Old 30-12-2006, 10:08 AM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Fagin

In that case i'm assuming the geezer that told me this is talking shit!

do the newer ones [bug eye and sooner] require 97ron fuel?
Thats what it says in my hand book and in my petrol flap, but tesco 99RON seems to run better.
Old 30-12-2006, 10:19 AM
Fagin

m_nettleship,
What dealer says that then, because that is not on the Newage Scoobs, so I can only presume they are referring to a Classic Scoob.

Classic is every 7.5k and Newage is every 10k (or every 12 months, which ever is the sooner).

James,
The newage cars run better on SUL, but can be run on NUL as the ECU will retard ignition enough as and when required (this is obviously up to a specific level of tune).
Old 30-12-2006, 05:06 PM
m_nettleship
PassionFord Post Troll

p1 pal
Old 30-12-2006, 05:10 PM
Fagin

That would be why then.
Old 30-12-2006, 07:49 PM
sandyRS16i
Part of the Furniture

i have an STI type R and will say that its easily as a standard car quicker than a standard evo even an FQ340....wether from a standing start or rolling.....although the evo has a higher terminal speed it wont catch til about 140mph when the scoobys gearing runs out....as standard the type R is approx 300bhp , but much lighter.....(300bhp, 1250kg)

against most cars on the road even likes of 911's it wil take them to 60 and to 100 and only will be passed when the gearing runs out lol.....

i have been left tho by 400bhp escos and i no that 2wd saffs running 300+bhp will eaasily keep up/pull away from a rolling start due to the lower levels of transmission losses......

a P1 is esentially the same as my car but a little heavier but should perform in a very similar manner.....
Old 30-12-2006, 09:31 PM
aduz
PassionFord Post Whore!!

so who is the daddy subaru tuners around at the mo?
Old 30-12-2006, 09:38 PM
Gorbash123

yes... it was a friends brothers which just had a new engine after the map(?) sensor went on it and destroyed piston no.3 so he was doing 4500rpm maximum... so i had a go at him for the hell of it... nice cars... just they don't carry much weight without scuffing the arches
Old 30-12-2006, 10:57 PM
PROMETHEUS
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Yeah I used to race my P100 every day, awesome arse end out fun everywhere. Not so good on ice though R.I.P.
Old 30-12-2006, 11:44 PM
m_nettleship
PassionFord Post Troll

think alot of work goes to scooby clinic think they should change there name tho as its a little wank.
Old 30-12-2006, 11:51 PM
S1sam
Regular Contributor

especially when STI's are booked in
Old 31-12-2006, 08:36 AM
Redkop
Member No: 39

Originally Posted by bdu98196
i have an STI type R and will say that its easily as a standard car quicker than a standard evo even an FQ340....wether from a standing start or rolling.....although the evo has a higher terminal speed it wont catch til about 140mph when the scoobys gearing runs out....as standard the type R is approx 300bhp , but much lighter.....(300bhp, 1250kg)
Typical scoob owner with rose tinted specs
Old 31-12-2006, 10:21 AM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by aduz
so who is the daddy subaru tuners around at the mo?
Andy Forest
BRD (Bob Rawle)
Zen performance
WRC Technologies
Scooby clinic has a decent reputation

from what i hear anyway
Old 31-12-2006, 02:20 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

what about alan jeffery? was up there a few weeks back and he had quite a few on the forecourt.
Old 31-12-2006, 03:16 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

what about alan jeffery? was up there a few weeks back and he had quite a few on the forecourt.
No disrespect there buddy,just that, i couldnt remember them all
Old 31-12-2006, 05:47 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ah no i didn't mean anything by it just curious if he was known as a scooby expert as i know he's well regarded with cossies & turbo technics owners which made me quite suprised to see mainly scoobys out the front of his place!
Old 31-12-2006, 05:52 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ah no i didn't mean anything by it just curious if he was known as a scooby expert as i know he's well regarded with cossies & turbo technics owners which made me quite suprised to see mainly scoobys out the front of his place!
Dont know then bud,the guys i mentioned have a high respect over on Snet,although i'll be honest, im not sure on Alan,im sure he could be but i dont know myself.
Old 31-12-2006, 06:17 PM
m_nettleship
PassionFord Post Troll

so has anyone raced many
Old 31-12-2006, 06:20 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

i have raced one about 30 times, more maybe
Old 31-12-2006, 06:21 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rapidcossie
i have raced one about 30 times, more maybe
what, the same one Surely he learnt the 1st time he got beaten
Old 31-12-2006, 06:24 PM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

i raced one years ago with my series 2.and tbh it werent as quick as i thought.from50mph on a dual carriage way upto the 130mark i didnt have loads but was in front a bit and no gap widened or shortened.
Old 31-12-2006, 06:28 PM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

whats a 22b then?
special edition 22brake version.
Old 31-12-2006, 06:39 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by m_nettleship
so has anyone raced many
No!! they are way too fast for mine, but I can live with that.
You lads certainly talk a fast car & there was me thinking you required Datron & the like. So its down the local by-pass , imagine you are drivin fast, then come on here & strut your stuff, it certainly sounds cheaper than what I do to prove how fast my car is. I was young once lads, keep at it .
Old 31-12-2006, 06:56 PM
Ollie.
PassionFord Post Troll

Rod not everyone wants to do 200+ mph...
Old 31-12-2006, 07:10 PM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Ollie6RS2
now,now lets not get into that again.rod has proved alot and done alot for the ford scene.but we all do stuff we shouldnt from time to time.
Old 31-12-2006, 10:25 PM
Fagin

Originally Posted by Ollie6RS2
No.... but it does pain me to say that he does have a very valid point.

Either get on a track (and not a joe bloggs track day, I mean a timed competition event) or use some proper timing gear. Road conditions do not count! The forementioned ways prove who talks and who walks!

Having a powerful car is one thing.

Having a car that handles well is another thing.

Having some form of driving skill is then something else.

But of course having the balls to try and put this all together for when it counts is something not many people seem to be willing to do.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:31 PM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePH
Originally Posted by m_nettleship
so has anyone raced many
No!! they are way too fast for mine, but I can live with that.
You lads certainly talk a fast car & there was me thinking you required Datron & the like. So its down the local by-pass , imagine you are drivin fast, then come on here & strut your stuff, it certainly sounds cheaper than what I do to prove how fast my car is. I was young once lads, keep at it .
get off your high horse you patronising old git! if you didnt agree with the thread topic dont read it or post on it i bet youve been a right little saint and never once done anything naughty in all the 400 years of your life so far
Old 01-01-2007, 07:07 PM
m_nettleship
PassionFord Post Troll

Mint.

Quick Reply: Ever Raced a P1