General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Are copper head gaskets THAT good?

Search this Thread

Old 18-12-2006, 11:38 PM
Disabled Account
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are copper head gaskets THAT good?

If so, why are most of us not using them?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COSWORTH-COPPE...QQcmdZViewItem

YB Cosworth Copper Head Gasket:

This auction is for one Copper head gasket to fit all YB Cosworth Engines.

These are vastly stronger than the original, Group A or WRC Three layered gaskets (which costs about £375!).

Not only are Copper gaskets stronger and cheaper than most other options they are also re-usable (3 to 4 times over is about the average) so work out even cheaper in the long run.

As a testament to the strength of this type of gasket; this type of Copper gaskets is used in Top Fuel Dragsters which produce over 6000BHP. Furthermore the company that manufactures this gasket provide a LIFETIME WARRANTY against failure (exclusions, terms and conditions apply) How many gasket suppliers are that confident in their product?

Please note the photos shown are for illustrative purposes only.
Old 18-12-2006, 11:39 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cause they never seem to seal properly.

In theory, if you look at the bumph, they seem awesome, but reality always seems different.

I think you really need to use some kind of sealant with them too, as plain copper dont seal fluids well, the mating surfaces need to be perfect.

Seem to also only work well if the block is wire ringed too.

And i think you need to re-torque head after a v.short amount of time too, as they rarely seal right from the off.

If you can get em working right, they the best, if you cant, like most people, they dogshit.

And besides, headgaskets are made the weakest link for a REASON, as a bit of det causes silly high PCP and blows the HG, big deal, but if the HG is mega strong, the rods bend, or the piston gives way, or the block cracks.
Lot more pricey fix!
Old 18-12-2006, 11:54 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ditto what Steve said..

Also top fuel drag engines prob only do 6000bhp once or twice before a strip down???

Jake
Old 19-12-2006, 12:33 AM
THEYGOTMETOO
CUNT!

Location: BLUE PILL or RED PILL ... All I offer is the truth, nothing more, nothing less. You choose.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And besides, headgaskets are made the weakest link for a REASON, as a bit of det causes silly high PCP and blows the HG, big deal, but if the HG is mega strong, the rods bend, or the piston gives way, or the block cracks.
Lot more pricey fix
From my considerable experience with Copper HG's:

That is without doubt the biggest disadvantage of using copper gaskets - they are very unlikey to blow (in fact i've only seen maybe two or three that have blown through in years of using them) through as the can take extremely high cylinder pressures so something else will go before the gasket does.

Its also correct that you should use an anaerobic copper sealant to help seal coolant / oil passages, whilst not always necessary its never a bad idea.

Again, surfaces do need to be flat but you not as flat as specified for most MLS gaskets - once Copper is annealed is actually suprisingly compliant (think about the copper washers used on fuel systems, etc..)

Wire rings combined with copper gaskets are not normally necessary - the two combined equal an extremely aggressive way of sealing the cylinders.

Theres actually a few tricks to installing copper gaskets which help with sealing, one oddly enough involves axle grease

Copper gaskets have lots and lots of advantages if they are installed correctly, unfortunatly most people do not know how to do so and they end up leaking but as with anything if its done properly you won't find a better way of sealing the head and block.
Old 19-12-2006, 06:45 AM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

I have used copper gaskets supplied by ferriday in the past on turbo engines and never had any probs. I would choose one over a WRC gasket any day. They are about a third of the price!

Only thing is your block and head surfaces must be very good. Virginial and fresh from a skim seems to work.