General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

who does chassis connectors for 3dr's

Search this Thread

Old 18-12-2006, 07:49 PM
kev 3dr
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who does chassis connectors for 3dr's

As above and how much are they ???

Cheers Kev
Old 18-12-2006, 07:50 PM
MAD EVO 4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speak to Danny B
Old 18-12-2006, 07:58 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

WHF is a chassie connector
Old 18-12-2006, 08:00 PM
Smit
The 60ft Launch King

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not the underbody chassis rail bars which help the shell strength?

Might be well off though...
Old 18-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

call danny b or the local scaffolding company!
Old 18-12-2006, 08:08 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

So,,WFT are they then ??? never heard of them
Old 18-12-2006, 08:10 PM
kev 3dr

They tie the front chassis legs to the rears making the hole shell stiffer with out going the roll cage route and as Martin said basically a glorified scaffold tube !

They are very popular on US muscle cars, both my Dad on his 68 mustang and my Brother on his 67 Barracuda have them fitted to there cars.

Trending Topics

Old 18-12-2006, 08:11 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Two tubes that join the rear outer beam location to the front (arb area??)
Old 18-12-2006, 08:11 PM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

paul there are called chassis correctors Rod T and mike r have them fitted Rod did a thread some time ago with pictures of them fitted to the car, basicly they reduce chassis flexing in the places you don't want flexing!!!!

steve
Old 18-12-2006, 08:14 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Sorry but the shell on most cars is meant to flex , adding bars will stop this and wont this cause problems ???

American cars have a seperate chassie and body tho so a totaly differant thing to a cossie shell

Rally cars dont use this system , neither do modern touring cars , OR DO THEY ???
Old 18-12-2006, 08:16 PM
MAD EVO 4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by NORTH YORKS RS SPARES

Sorry but the shell on most cars is meant to flex , adding bars will stop this and wont this cause problems ???

American cars have a seperate chassie and body tho so a totaly differant thing to a cossie shell

Rally cars dont use this system , neither do modern touring cars , OR DO THEY ???
the bars work there best if the car does not have an roll cage fitted
Old 18-12-2006, 08:17 PM
Mike1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Think Eagle had them fitted to his Sapphire?
Old 18-12-2006, 08:18 PM
MAD EVO 4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

yes he did
Old 18-12-2006, 08:20 PM
kev 3dr

Mustangs etc are built basiclley the same as a sierra EG monocoque construction with a intergrated front and rear chassis linked by a floor pan, so by fitting rame connectors you are basicalley linking the front and rear frames together.

Competion vehicles have full roll cages limking all major components to make the shell as rigid as possible so not requiring frame connectors
Old 18-12-2006, 08:38 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

is it bollocks. why do manufacturers constantly strive to increase the rigidity of their bodyshells then? it's to give the best platform from which the suspension can operate. certain areas of the structure are designed to deform in a controlled way in a crash, but they are usually not part of the main structure (known as crumple zones)

really? we're talking about passenger cars here, not SUV's that are made that way to get around the tax laws and classed as trucks

no. as said, they use a roll cage for the same purpose.
Old 18-12-2006, 08:47 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
is it bollocks. why do manufacturers constantly strive to increase the rigidity of their bodyshells then? it's to give the best platform from which the suspension can operate. certain areas of the structure are designed to deform in a controlled way in a crash, but they are usually not part of the main structure (known as crumple zones)

really? we're talking about passenger cars here, not SUV's that are made that way to get around the tax laws and classed as trucks

no. as said, they use a roll cage for the same purpose.
I think you will find that the american cars that have been mentioned have a seperate chassie

Who mentioned SUV"s etc

And here was i thinking that roll cages were just for safety reasons

And i also think you will find that if bodyshells were not designed to flex , they would crack under stress and fall apart , manufacturers spend milions developing shells that yat very strong also flex quite a lot
Old 18-12-2006, 08:52 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

And i also think you will find that if bodyshells were not designed to flex , they would crack under stress and fall apart , manufacturers spend milions developing shells that yat very strong also flex quite a lot
really? you must educate me further. my understanding of fatigue is very limited
Old 18-12-2006, 08:52 PM
kev 3dr

I think you will find that the american cars that have been mentioned have a seperate chassie

HMMMMM no they dont !!!!!!

Like I said before my Dad has got a 68 Mustang and my brother has a 67 Barracuda

And neither of them have a seperate chassis !!!!!!!
Old 18-12-2006, 08:54 PM
kev 3dr

Originally Posted by kas 3dr

Like I said before my Dad has got a 68 Mustang and my brother has a 67 Barracuda

Oh and they are both about 60 feet away from me in there garages with the mustang being upside down on a rotissery !!!!
Old 18-12-2006, 08:56 PM
richard_syko
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Were the GRP A RS500`s not doubled skined in areas?
Old 18-12-2006, 08:58 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

really? you must educate me further. my understanding of fatigue is very limited
no need to educate you mate as you obviously know everything

and if you look at all my quotes they have question marks as i was interested in these bars but wasnt realy shure of the benifits as i only have 15 years in the motor trade inc 10 years in vehicle manufacturing industry

Thanks for you help in putting all the chassie issues 100% acurate for me
Old 18-12-2006, 09:01 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Sorry mate , Wrong again ,,I thought that most american cars of that year had a seperate chassie ,, I watch to much american hot rod etc

I watch these programmes and see them lifting the bodywork off most chassies , but not these two tho
Old 18-12-2006, 09:01 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

good come back
Old 18-12-2006, 09:07 PM
kev 3dr

Sorry mate , Wrong again ,,I thought that most american cars of that year had a seperate chassie ,, I watch to much american hot rod etc

I watch these programmes and see them lifting the bodywork off most chassies , but not these two tho

Most of them will be either pre 64 if Ford or Mopar and around about pre68-69 if it was Chevy. I think thats roughly right anyway
Old 18-12-2006, 09:13 PM
Tony Ryan
PassionFord Post Troll

read into it what you will , the cage in the modern era of touring cars is referred to as the 5th spring , a lot of R& D goes into allowing the car to perform in a controlled way , flex is inevtiable , reading it and compensating for it is a huge science .
Old 18-12-2006, 09:15 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Although my understanding of this stuff is very limited, I didn't think flex was a good thing on circuit.

On set of slicks on my standard road car and much track action DID lead to a cracked bodyshell.
Old 18-12-2006, 09:16 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Most of them will be either pre 64 if Ford or Mopar and around about pre68-69 if it was Chevy. I think thats roughly right anyway
Thanks for that mate Its good to learn
Old 18-12-2006, 09:19 PM
richard_syko

It needs to be stiff in the right places. Ideally all the suspension mounts wouldnt move relative to each other.

Thats how race car chassis are rated, in torsional stiffness.

This way the suspension does its job properly keeping correct wheel geometry.
Old 18-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Please correct me if im wrong , but not alowing a shell to flex would then be just as bad as setting your suspension on the hardest setting

And i read on here so many times that the stiffer the suspension is not the best way and only way to get a car to perform the best ,( i will say that IMO this is 100% correct )
Old 18-12-2006, 09:21 PM
kev 3dr

Ive been brought up around Fast Fords and Yank muscle cars so if I didnt have my 3dr id have some form of muscle car but might be gready and have both within a year or 2
Old 18-12-2006, 09:23 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Agreed, but if the shock absorber is designed to act in one plane only, then why would you want it to move side to side for example?

I'm talking about on track here only - I appreciate the suppleness of a chassis to absorb variable surfaces.
Old 18-12-2006, 09:24 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Ive been brought up around Fast Fords and Yank muscle cars so if I didnt have my 3dr id have some form of muscle car but might be gready and have both within a year or 2
I have a serious love for american cars ,,mk1 camaro"s etc

I would swap my 500"s for a mint example
Old 18-12-2006, 09:26 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by RichardPON
Agreed, but if the shock absorber is designed to act in one plane only, then why would you want it to move side to side for example?

I'm talking about on track here only - I appreciate the suppleness of a chassis to absorb variable surfaces.
Richard

Problem is you cant just quote " the track" we are talking about flex in all forms of motorsport , and track cars must also flex along with road cars and 100% motorsport cars
Old 18-12-2006, 09:27 PM
richard_syko

Please correct me if im wrong , but not alowing a shell to flex would then be just as bad as setting your suspension on the hardest setting

And i read on here so many times that the stiffer the suspension is not the best way and only way to get a car to perform the best ,( i will say that IMO this is 100% correct )
Road cars need to flex. There not on the ideal surface like a race track. And they have to last a long time unlike a rally car.

Why would race cars have strut braces etc. (and not the shiny ally ones )

For years all race car chassis had two targets, as light as possible and stiff as possible.

Suspension stiffness is different to chassis stiffness. If the springs are too hard they will stop the dampers from working, thus reducing the amount of contact the tyre has to the surface.

If the suspension is too hard the car would just bounce of small bumps in the surface.
Old 18-12-2006, 09:29 PM
kev 3dr

I fancy a 2door Plymouth Valiant, Looks abit like a 2door mk2 cortina and turn it into a sort of track day car which as its a not a popular car would look kool !

Ps get yourself down to Santa Pod for the European Mopar Nats in july, 3 days of racing and nearly all muscle cars and hot rods !!
Old 18-12-2006, 09:31 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by richard_syko

Road cars need to flex. There not on the ideal surface like a race track. And they have to last a long time unlike a rally car.

Why would race cars have strut braces etc. (and not the shiny ally ones )

For years all race car chassis had two targets, as light as possible and stiff as possible.

Suspension stiffness is different to chassis stiffness. If the springs are too hard they will stop the dampers from working, thus reducing the amount of contact the tyre has to the surface.

If the suspension is too hard the car would just bounce of small bumps in the surface.
So your saying that all race cars allow for no flex at all ???

Did you not read Tony"s reply
Old 18-12-2006, 09:36 PM
richard_syko

Yes and he is right but, vehicle dynamics is a deep subject.

Modern touring cars are under powered (relatively) and FWD, so it has all sorts of design implications.

All cars need some flex even super stiff F1 tubs.
Old 18-12-2006, 09:41 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Richard

Problem is you cant just quote " the track" we are talking about flex in all forms of motorsport , and track cars must also flex along with road cars and 100% motorsport cars
Paul - I was referring to cars that use a race circuit, not cars that race on other surfaces.

I would have thought you could have used a term like "the track", as aside from the weather and track temperature, not a lot changes at a set circuit from one day to the next, so why not consider the surface a constant?
Old 18-12-2006, 09:42 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

I think that some chassis flex is desirable BUT too much is not and maybe the frame connectors get the Sierra shell back to the 'some' flex rather than too much?
Old 18-12-2006, 09:45 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

To Be honest fellas we could talk about this all night , but as said Vehicle dynamics is a massive subject and i doubt we will sort all the issues tonight

Good topic tho ( if we had months to talk about it )

I would like to see these bars tho as i think they may be a good adittion to a rotting old ford shell

Quick Reply: who does chassis connectors for 3dr's