General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

lambda sensor

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 03:43 PM
WD Pro
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers
Old 12-12-2006, 02:53 PM
Dave Henshall
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gingers

any updates - are you working again?
Old 14-12-2006, 09:01 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Henshall
gingers

any updates - are you working again?
Right then, a brief update:

Fitted the new plugs and lambda sensor on Sunday afternoon.
Adjusted the CO pot and started her up. Seemed to start ok, (still takes longer than the old chip, for some unknown reason, maybe the babyboard I fitted?)

Took her for a long drive on Monday, my day off, and dropped in at SCC for a quick check.

Bunged the exhaust analyser up its bum, and the CO was at 0.5-6%

I was under the impression it needed to be at 0.9% (to be rich enough on boost, global modifier and all that) so I messed around with it but couldn’t richen it up without it switching to the conventional map (non closed loop).

As I didn’t wanna take up too much of pat and rob’s time, we got it running at about 1% CO but I think its too rich as it keeps swapping from closed loop to normal (I can tell this by the voltage output from the lambda).

Upon chatting with Stu after I had got home it seems perfectly fine to have it running at 0.5% CO and 0.9% is the maximum value. So all the fiddling was unnecessary, just my luck!

So I am planning on going back to SCC at the weekend and getting it running.

Then put a full tank of juice in it, and seeing what the mpg does now

Old 14-12-2006, 09:49 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

I was under the impression it needed to be at 0.9% (to be rich enough on boost, global modifier and all that) so I messed around with it but couldn’t richen it up without it switching to the conventional map (non closed loop).

As I didn’t wanna take up too much of pat and rob’s time, we got it running at about 1% CO but I think its too rich as it keeps swapping from closed loop to normal (I can tell this by the voltage output from the lambda).

Upon chatting with Stu after I had got home it seems perfectly fine to have it running at 0.5% CO and 0.9% is the maximum value. So all the fiddling was unnecessary, just my luck!
That conversation had me doubting my own kit yesterday, so i dug out the instructions to double check what i wrote and it says this:

Simply ensure the fuel mixture is below 0.9% with the engine hot and all electrics switched off. No further adjustments are required and the instructions to adjust co for non lambda software can be ignored totally unless the Co needs trimming down to meet the figures above.
So...
Old 14-12-2006, 10:15 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments

That conversation had me doubting my own kit yesterday, so i dug out the instructions to double check what i wrote and it says this:

Simply ensure the fuel mixture is below 0.9% with the engine hot and all electrics switched off. No further adjustments are required and the instructions to adjust co for non lambda software can be ignored totally unless the Co needs trimming down to meet the figures above.
So...

all sorted, will be at 0.5% on saturday morning

it idled very smoothly at this point, just didnt have the instructions with me, but did re-read after and it does say 0.9% max value

0.5% is pretty much lambda =1 so the chip must be doing its job

Old 14-12-2006, 10:29 AM
Dave Henshall
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i'd say your new probe is working then
Old 14-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Originally Posted by gingeRS

it idled very smoothly at this point, just didnt have the instructions with me, but did re-read after and it does say 0.9% max value

Cool. Please ensure the base idle speed is also 100% perfect once the fuelling is stabilised at this level and you should be away mate.
Old 14-12-2006, 11:52 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments

Cool. Please ensure the base idle speed is also 100% perfect once the fuelling is stabilised at this level and you should be away mate.
which is best to do first, as they both affect each other?

set base idle first, then adjust CO?
Old 14-12-2006, 01:13 PM
the original
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

the GGR ones are what i use, they have a weber 'W' stamped on them.
here is what the voltage should do, I measured it on my closed loop l8 at 2000rpm

Old 14-12-2006, 01:30 PM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by the original
the GGR ones are what i use, they have a weber 'W' stamped on them.
here is what the voltage should do, I measured it on my closed loop l8 at 2000rpm

My lambda was from GGR at a very very good price

i didnt have an oscilloscope but from monitoring it on a voltmeter

thats the output signal i was getting at idle.

now in a few weeks i'll report back to see if my fuel economy has improved

Old 14-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Dave Henshall
PassionFord Post Whore!!

im sure it will, as that is how it should work - only if you are at more than somthing like 30% throttle(stu's instructions conform the exact figures), above certain boost or below certina temp does the closed loop not work and the standard mapping takes over for safety reasons.

likei said earlier, on mine on a cruise i can get 34mpg running greens with a t34
Old 14-12-2006, 02:17 PM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

likei said earlier, on mine on a cruise i can get 34mpg running greens with a t34
heres hoping, i worked mine out the other day and with my old chip (and stus new chip,without the closed loop working, as lambda sensor was failed) i was getting 18-19mpg
Old 14-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Dave Henshall
PassionFord Post Whore!!

it'll be reeet

as stu said in another post about his idle setup - its not something i noticed until he said, but yes indeed, the cold idle is MUCh improved even over the factory chip, much more stable and refined
Old 14-12-2006, 02:49 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

but yes indeed, the cold idle is MUCh improved even over the factory chip, much more stable and refined
Old 18-12-2006, 11:33 AM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i checked my lambda voltage today and its reading between 0v and 1.5v....... is that ok?

you guys mentioned about it reading 1v rich, not 1.5v
Old 18-12-2006, 11:53 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by JTECHSAFF
i checked my lambda voltage today and its reading between 0v and 1.5v....... is that ok?

mine does that, varies from 1.3v to 0.05v when in closed loop, so no worries there

i was trying to set my base idle yesterday but couldnt get it to idle real smoothly. when in closed loop it would idle @ 900 rpm and hunt around (from 900-1000rpm, in sync with what the lambda sensor was doing).

when i had it idling really smoothly, i would stick the probes on the ecu, only to discover it was reading 1.31v and was out of closed loop. then i would back the CO off to get it into closed loop and the slower idle would happen.

will take a litttle more fine tuning i feel
Old 18-12-2006, 11:59 AM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

contact stu again ,mine doesnt hunt around like that, can be a sign that its too weak if it picks up on the lambda surge, may be other adjustments you need to make,

the engine deffo over 70 degrees when you adjust it?
Old 18-12-2006, 12:31 PM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

contact Stu again ,mine doesnt hunt around like that, can be a sign that its too weak if it picks up on the lambda surge, may be other adjustments you need to make,

the engine deffo over 70 degrees when you adjust it?
yes it was definately in closed loop

no point contacting stu just yet, will try and get to the bottom of it.

just seems to be a really fine art to getting it to idle:

a) so its definetly on closed loop
b) at 950rpm
c) that the iscv is having no effect on it at all

will have another go at SCC tomorrow, if i get the chance.

it much easier to do with a CO analyser than it is with a voltmeter on pins 1 and 2.

had it idling happily at 0.5% before, will try and get that again
Old 18-12-2006, 01:01 PM
Dave Henshall
PassionFord Post Whore!!

does the l8 have any keep alive parameters that need resetting by ditching the power..?
Old 18-12-2006, 01:17 PM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

does the l8 have any keep alive parameters that need resetting by ditching the power..?
you mean unplugging the ecu for a bit?

my friend did this on his TVR the other day and said it totally transformed the car, behaved much better afterwards

dunno really?
Old 18-12-2006, 06:33 PM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

also things like fuel pressure mate, stu runs his at standard pressure, 3.5 bar with the pipe off(normally but you must check!)

there are a few variables you need to check before you should trim the c.o down.....
Old 18-12-2006, 06:42 PM
trevCOSS
Advanced PassionFord User

mine does that, varies from 1.3v to 0.05v when in closed loop, so no worries there

i was trying to set my base idle yesterday but couldnt get it to idle real smoothly. when in closed loop it would idle @ 900 rpm and hunt around (from 900-1000rpm, in sync with what the lambda sensor was doing).

when i had it idling really smoothly, i would stick the probes on the ecu, only to discover it was reading 1.31v and was out of closed loop. then i would back the CO off to get it into closed loop and the slower idle would happen.

Mine does exactly the same as this, idle varies from 900-1000 in line with the lambda signal, but the CO was 0.5% when checked, however I believe I have a map sensor fault and am currently awaiting a new one and see if that helps, can someone confirm the base idle figure just so I can re check?
Old 18-12-2006, 06:49 PM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

what makes you think you have a map sensor fault mate?

mines been reading higher than normall for a week ,reads 0.07 when ign is on ,engine off..... normally was 0.03...
Old 19-12-2006, 08:20 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by trevCOSS

Mine does exactly the same as this, idle varies from 900-1000 in line with the lambda signal, but the CO was 0.5% when checked, however I believe I have a map sensor fault and am currently awaiting a new one and see if that helps, can someone confirm the base idle figure just so I can re check?
which base idle figure are you after?

mine idles dead smoothly, then as it hits a certain temp, you can feel it cut to closed loop and the idle starts oscilalting with the lambda

going SCC this afternoon see if i can get it sorted

let me know, if your new map sensor has any effect, mine only 12 months old
Old 19-12-2006, 09:38 AM
Dave Henshall
PassionFord Post Whore!!

mine idles dead smoothly, then as it hits a certain temp, you can feel it cut to closed loop and the idle starts oscilalting with the lambda
hmmm, mine doesnt't it idles dead smooth all the time,
Old 19-12-2006, 10:20 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

hmmm, mine doesnt't it idles dead smooth all the time,
thats what i want....no fair

Old 19-12-2006, 10:33 AM
SS1
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stu @ M Developments

my car runs fine

credit where its due
Old 19-12-2006, 03:50 PM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

got her running at scc today

she runs at 0.5% CO @ idle and the lambda closed loop is working

you can still feel the idle changing as it closed loop goes from rich to lean, but there doesnt seem to be much i can do about that

have filled her up with juice and will report back any improvement in fuel economy as i finish this tank

Old 19-12-2006, 04:25 PM
trevCOSS

Originally Posted by trevCOSS

which base idle figure are you after?

going SCC this afternoon see if i can get it sorted

let me know, if your new map sensor has any effect, mine only 12 months old
Idle speed with car warm and iscv unplugged
Old 19-12-2006, 04:27 PM
trevCOSS

what makes you think you have a map sensor fault mate?

mines been reading higher than normall for a week ,reads 0.07 when ign is on ,engine off..... normally was 0.03...
the end has snapped off but seriously it had been glued before and im not sure that it wasnt leaking air very slightly
Old 19-12-2006, 04:30 PM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i set mine to 950 rpm, with iscv un plugged today

ford rev counter is miles out, i used a mac timing light, and 950 rpm on the timing light looks like 700rpm on the rev counter

seems ok, it seems low, but the fact i have vibratecnic mounts all round may be misleading me

any other way to verify engine speed?