General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

£1.50 for each mile we drive.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 10:09 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by BBC NEWS
If road charging was introduced, the government would be able to examine the option of whether it could raise enough revenue to replace fuel duty and the car tax disc.
well, id be ALL FOR IT if it cut road tax and fuel duty
Old 01-12-2006, 10:11 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
Originally Posted by BBC NEWS
If road charging was introduced, the government would be able to examine the option of whether it could raise enough revenue to replace fuel duty and the car tax disc.
well, id be ALL FOR IT if it cut road tax and fuel duty
As long as it was reasonable and fair. Although tracking is a little bit too big brother, prying further into your life to keep an eye on you IMO.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:17 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Oh and from what I can remember from an article I was reading, we (the tax payer) payed for an 18 month ish (can't remember exact time scale) investigation of the current traffic problems in the UK. The conclusion after spending umpteen millions to conduct this investigation was that we need to build a better updated road transport network (Duh!! State the fooking obvious. I'd have told you that for a lot less than the millions you spent). So the government has disregarded this information (read, the government has wasted millions on this disregarded info) and decided that this road charging is the solution. They obviously think that we are all driving around at the same time for a laugh, and we obviously are doing it just to be cunts (and not to get too and from work via a reliable means of transport).
Old 01-12-2006, 10:27 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Well, I am all for the scheme and would happily pay £1.50 per mile I drive......

But only if fuel becomes free and road tax is abolished - and I can't see that happening, can you?
Old 01-12-2006, 10:34 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 1.50 will be right in the centre of london, it needs to be nothing or nearly nothing in rural areas or people will complain too much about it and the opposition will have an easy route into power just by saying they will abolish it.

I am 101% for charging per mile but ONLY if its implemented correctly.

Correct implemenation would be:
Halve the duty on petrol.
Claw back the same amount as an average in milage charging with traffic free rural roads seeing NO charge and congested city roads seeing charges as his as a couple of quid a mile maybe even more if there is decent alternative transport availabe.

Im all for taxing people out of their cars in the city centre of london where they can use the turbo, but taxing people out of their cars in rural england and wales and scotland where there is NO viable alternative transport would be fucking lunacy.

Done properly its a fair system.

But the bunch of cunts in power will just use it to screw every fucking penny they can out of us.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:46 AM
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

thats a load of crap, i will be severely pissed off

no1 will go out in there cars for pleasure anymore cuz it will just cost too FOOKIN MUCH
Old 02-12-2006, 07:49 AM
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

with work in the van i do shit loads miles so woudlnt give a fuck they pay for it

but im my car i do drive quite alot between the rs and bm and 1.50 mile would abolish me owning a car

10k miles a year will cost ya 15 FUCKIN GEES

Old 02-12-2006, 08:27 AM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The correct implementation would be scrap duty on fuel, scrap road tax and pay per mile that way those who do the most miles, and therefore potentially cause the most wear and tear on the roads pay the most, its the same as when they scrapped the Water Rates and implemented Metering.

You use more, you pay more.

Unfortunately with travel this is slightly different because people are already paying Road Tax, Duty & VAT on the Fuel and Tax on their insurance premiums. And because of the fuel duty being so high you are already on a type of Pay As You Go scheme.

HOWEVER.....

There is a fundamental Human Rights issue here which everyone seems to have missed, the Government is tracking its people and that is WRONG on so many levels...

This is a free state where people should be able to go about their daily business without being watched and monitored by the State, every individual has a right to privacy.

This is a fundamental part of what a Free State is all about.

Look.... 95% of people who can drive, can vote..

The easiest thing to do is use forums etc to educate people and to organise people into saying NO... even if its just in the form of a simple letter that can be downloaded and sent to your local MP / Number 10, if people dont say anything it will be perceived that its being accepted and they will carry on... if they can see a big pitfall on the horizon they will side step it or put it on the back burner.

Labour have nowhere near the majority they used to have and if they want to stay in power there is no way they are going to do anything that could rock the boat in marginal seats.

And I bet 80% of the people on this forum have never voted... either because they dont understand politics or they just cant be arsed or because they feel it would not do any good anyway..

Well dont you believe it.... if you think how many young people with modified cars live in your area, most of them dont vote... if they suddenly turned out there could be some big upsets...

The government shit out on re-organising the Council Tax System because it was going to be unpopular and could lead to their downfall at the next election.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:37 AM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
Well, I am all for the scheme and would happily pay £1.50 per mile I drive......

But only if fuel becomes free and road tax is abolished - and I can't see that happening, can you?
i'd be up for that £1.50, mine you i wouldnt be driving a 40mpg fiesta, probably a 5mpg F150, probably the reason it wont happen!

edited to add, err nope £1.50 thats bullshit!, Just worked out doing 8000 miles a year with tax, petrol and insurance works out at 38p per mile, even at 15mpg!
Old 02-12-2006, 08:38 AM
tregmatt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

this country is a disaster waiting to happen the goverment just havent got
a clue if that happens this country would come to a stand still
Old 02-12-2006, 10:13 AM
RS220Turbo
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

So we pay for the little black box, then the 1.50 or how ever much its gona be, mmm, NO. Why would anybody kill them selfs in more tax by saying yes to it. Look at the other countries in the world all we have to do is say no....
Old 02-12-2006, 10:23 AM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by neilm
The correct implementation would be scrap duty on fuel, scrap road tax and pay per mile that way those who do the most miles, and therefore potentially cause the most wear and tear on the roads pay the most, its the same as when they scrapped the Water Rates and implemented Metering.

You use more, you pay more.

Unfortunately with travel this is slightly different because people are already paying Road Tax, Duty & VAT on the Fuel and Tax on their insurance premiums. And because of the fuel duty being so high you are already on a type of Pay As You Go scheme.

HOWEVER.....

There is a fundamental Human Rights issue here which everyone seems to have missed, the Government is tracking its people and that is WRONG on so many levels...

This is a free state where people should be able to go about their daily business without being watched and monitored by the State, every individual has a right to privacy.

This is a fundamental part of what a Free State is all about.

Look.... 95% of people who can drive, can vote..

The easiest thing to do is use forums etc to educate people and to organise people into saying NO... even if its just in the form of a simple letter that can be downloaded and sent to your local MP / Number 10, if people dont say anything it will be perceived that its being accepted and they will carry on... if they can see a big pitfall on the horizon they will side step it or put it on the back burner.

Labour have nowhere near the majority they used to have and if they want to stay in power there is no way they are going to do anything that could rock the boat in marginal seats.

And I bet 80% of the people on this forum have never voted... either because they dont understand politics or they just cant be arsed or because they feel it would not do any good anyway..

Well dont you believe it.... if you think how many young people with modified cars live in your area, most of them dont vote... if they suddenly turned out there could be some big upsets...

The government shit out on re-organising the Council Tax System because it was going to be unpopular and could lead to their downfall at the next election.
I agree. I have never voted as I usually can't get to the polling stations in time but next time I am going to try my damned hardest to get there!!
Old 02-12-2006, 10:27 AM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

On the link below, there is a political petition from the government. I suggest people sign it...

https://passionford.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=237078
Old 02-12-2006, 10:27 AM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by RS220Turbo
So we pay for the little black box, then the 1.50 or how ever much its gona be, mmm, NO. Why would anybody kill them selfs in more tax by saying yes to it. Look at the other countries in the world all we have to do is say no....

The way they would do it is probably like the Water Companies did with metering..

You get the option.. you stay with your road tax and the higher fuel charges or you go over to the black box and cheap fuel...

Then slowly but surely people will migrate over so it will be done slowly slowly catchee munkee....

But it will be cheap for an introductory period but once you are hooked they'll then close the door so you cant go back and they'll keep turning the wick up.....
Old 02-12-2006, 10:36 AM
ben_frst
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this is all bullshit they cant make you have a gps tracker in you car surely it infringes on you human rights its like saying every one has to have a chip installed under the skin so the goverment can find u at any time and charge u for the air that you breath

i would bin the box and just shoot the copper that pulls me over

note: shooting law inforcemet officers (or pigs) is highly illegal and should not be attempted by anyone my comment was made as a joke and i didnt mean it honest
Old 02-12-2006, 11:47 AM
Glen1909
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by S2martin
What i think will happen is they will carry on scaring everyone to death with leaks of £1.50 a mile then at the last min drop it to 10p to 30p a mile
and everyone will go bloody hell thats handy i thought it was gonna be £1.50 a mile woo etc and then nobody will protest or moan just suffer it and the government know everyone will

Martin
Sounds similar to the chocolate rations in 1984. Oh my god its happening!!!! 12 Years after orwells prediction but were all screwed!!!
Old 02-12-2006, 12:01 PM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

they cant do it.or everyone will be skint and out of jobs! then they will fucking moan. cunts
Old 02-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

it will happen,,,, just look at the congestion charge in kensington,,,, the residents said no,,,,, the majority said NO and kens reply was " im gonna impliment it JUST so you can get a feel of how its going to benifit you and then make your mind up",,,,, meaning its being done and democracy is a wonderfull thing if you all do what i tell you

as for charging londoners,,,,, you cunts make me laugh,,,,, we ALREADY pay HIGHER insurance HIGHER council tax, HIGHER stamp duty, we pay for parking,,, resident permits and ALSO we FUND 75 FUCKING % of the FUCKING COUNTRY with our HIGHER wages to pay our HIGHER fucking living

my insurance is DOUBLE than when i had it at another propertys address,,,, i pay 100 quid a YEAR to PARK my fucking car,,,,,, i ALSO pay 600 quid a year to GET A FUCKING TRAIN to work ONE FUCKING STOP cause i CAN NOT PARK MY CAR FOR MORE THAN 2 HOURS UNLESS IM A FUCKING RESDIDENT OF THAT ZONE,,,,, even though i pay fucking council tax to the whole fucking council,,,,, that means im fucking PAYING for the use of that zone too

since 1994 they have been intrducing ways to ease congestion in london,,,, resident parking was stage one,,,,,, that "worked" but they ALSO needed to add the congestion charge,,,,, thats ASWELL as resident parking,,,, thats also "worked" but we now need road charging too,,,,,, WHY,,,,,,

i WILL pay 1.50 per mile IF they bin the res parking AND congestion charge AND fuel duty AND road tax,,,,, i will be happy to spend it aslong as they are all binned as i WILL save money rather than SPEND MORE fucking money

broadwater riots was fook all to do with the government though,,,, it was a estate that haringey council kept locating the problems,,, sort of brushed them under the carpet and i aint sure if you been there but its the size of a town centre,,,,, full of lesser educated, poorer people who have a chip on there shoulder to the world and talk to each other all getting more pissed off and then it came to a head

the reason why it was famous is the way they designed cause the council basically built them a rat run so people had 2 ways to go only,,,, that was it and NO point will ANYONE ever need to use the general streets as it was all elevated on sky walks,,,,, so they was HIGHER than the old bill and you could only get em from a few entrances to the skywalks,,,,,

theres another estate that is similer and in a film called "breaking and entering" on the cinema right now as my mates live there,,,, its half a mile long elevated estate that you go either forward or back,,,, if you see a group you dont like you either walk into em and take you chanced OR turn back adn show em your scared,,,,,,,, FUCK thats not a nice place to go if you dont know the lot of em ( thank fook im cool i guess ) but thats gonna be knocked down in the next 10n years i recon due to the problems,,,, the estate AVERAGES 2 dead bodys a year,,,,,, just cause theres so many places to get caught
Old 02-12-2006, 03:48 PM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Default Re: 150 a mile

Originally Posted by charlie luciano
remember broadwater farm, brixton and the poll tax riots, anachy now that's what i call fun

Luciano

Well.... Broadwater was a social problem area as has been said, Brixton was a Race Riot...

But you are correct... The Poll Tax Riots was a politically motivated Riot that brought about the downfall of the Poll Tax and we went back to a similar system to the Rates.... but called it something new....
Old 02-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Mr Sam
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

£22,500 for a years traveling for me........makes the £110 tax seem resonable

what about tax expempt cars
Old 02-12-2006, 04:42 PM
pauldowts
PassionFord Regular

will this include all road users? commercial, transport, haulage?????

Ive done 2500 miles in the last fortnight!!!!

is going to get to the point where we wont be able to afford to live in our own country!!!!!!!

Old 08-12-2006, 07:01 AM
GazzaG
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fucking hell it gets worse every fucking year,

tax this tax that ffs car tax house tax bills property tax petrol insurence mot's tv licence etc

if you add all that money up thats a ton already

Surely they carn't bring this in, as there will be too many arguments.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:04 AM
GazzaG
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrviper
i dont know why us brits accept all the shit like this

in leicester i was shopping in tesco and couldnt understand what anyone was saying in the cue due to them all speaking foreign languages!

stupid goverment letting the leeching coonts in and then making schemes like this to pay for the freeloading tossers!

if it happens the goverment knows us soft idiots will just cough up the cash anyway
totally agree mate

i was soo pissed off as i got finished at my work cause they said there was no work left

4 days after it was full of Polish lads
i was fumeing