General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Can any electricians help please?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 05:13 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

GARETH T

Dont worry mate i AM an electrician by trade and a pretty decent 1 imo, i'm 24 now and even as an apprentie i used to look at some of the veterans work and think "fuck me".

I once pulled a 1 gang 1 way light switch off and it had 4 twins in it all connector blocked behind the plasterboard backbox, the block replied to fuck me with "whats wrong with that like you cheeky cunt"

What i hate the most is people think cause it works its right
Old 10-11-2006, 05:26 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i know mate,, theres so many cowboys out there,,, im an industrial sparkie by trade so a little out of domestic stuff,, but damm
Old 10-11-2006, 05:30 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I aint done much in domestic i was more comercial and industrial, i'm now a trainee rov technician so wont be doing houses again ever with any luck
Old 10-11-2006, 05:38 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by Alps Pacino
I aint done much in domestic i was more comercial and industrial, i'm now a trainee rov technician so wont be doing houses again ever with any luck
hail that fucking hate chasing walls
Old 10-11-2006, 05:41 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

domestic is where all the money is dont knock it

but yer chasing all day ive had 7 years of it and it still doesn't get any better
Old 10-11-2006, 05:41 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

GARETH T

Fuck chasing walls thats what the labourers are for they get paid for what they do not what they know, Myself on the other hand gets paid for what i know not what i do
Old 10-11-2006, 05:43 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Myself on the other hand gets paid for what i know not what i do
my fav line when in work,, and caught by the boss
Old 10-11-2006, 05:43 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

danneth

Being an rov tech is where the money is between Ł280 and Ł320 a day depending on who and where you work,
Old 10-11-2006, 05:46 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by danneth
domestic is where all the money is dont knock it
so true mate,, there no money in industrial electrical enginering anymore
Old 10-11-2006, 05:54 PM
Series1Dry
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

God this thread is confusing.

The hob is gas. The oven is 6.2kw.
Therefore it MUST BE connected straight into the cooker connection unit using 6mm cable. The breaker should be 32 amp rated in the consumer unit and most probably will be. DO NOT connect a 1.5mm cable as this will melt.

Some oven are 3kw and can be connected using a plug but NOT connected into the connection unit as the cable needs to be fused at 13 amp in the plug. There is no fuse in the connection unit. If anyone has connected a 3kw oven straight into the connection unit you should remove it, unless the breaker in the consumer unit has been changed to 16 amp. Otherwise you would have 1.5mm fused at 32 amp in the consumer unit which it will not carry safely.

Sorted
Old 10-11-2006, 05:55 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

danneth

Being an rov tech is where the money is between Ł280 and Ł320 a day depending on who and where you work,
ill take my Ł250 a day and be home for 2
Old 10-11-2006, 06:01 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

danneth

I'll have 6 months of the year off

And as i said above i sit with 1 hand on a joystik driving an rov all day looking at monitors real hard work that is, i really pull me plums out for my 300 snots a day
Old 10-11-2006, 06:04 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

danneth

I'll have 6 months of the year off

And as i said above i sit with 1 hand on a joystik driving an rov all day looking at monitors real hard work that is, i really pull me plums out for my 300 snots a day

i get to work in rotherham on the " decent homes scheme " all them single mums

i think i win.......
Old 10-11-2006, 06:05 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

p.s get me a job
Old 10-11-2006, 06:07 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Iget to work in Amserdam, singapor and many other exotic locations i think i win
Old 10-11-2006, 06:07 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

ps get me a job aswell
Old 10-11-2006, 06:08 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Iget to work in Amserdam, singapor and many other exotic locations i think i win
you cant compare shemales to 17 year old girls with 2 kids
Old 10-11-2006, 09:10 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Alps

The radial itself is 6mm twin and earth from a 30 amp fuse in the unit, to a double pole switch, then 6mm to the cooker connection point. Then the cooker is fitted to the connection point with the supplied 1.5mm rubber flex..

I do our wiring in extensions etc, and as it is all part p etc now they have all been checked off by Building Control and passed. I have never had to re do anything but if this with the electric cookers is wrong i need to know for the future And ill be writing to stoves etc
Old 11-11-2006, 03:05 PM
Series1Dry

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
Alps

The radial itself is 6mm twin and earth from a 30 amp fuse in the unit, to a double pole switch, then 6mm to the cooker connection point. Then the cooker is fitted to the connection point with the supplied 1.5mm rubber flex..

I do our wiring in extensions etc, and as it is all part p etc now they have all been checked off by Building Control and passed. I have never had to re do anything but if this with the electric cookers is wrong i need to know for the future And ill be writing to stoves etc
Lee. You can't just put 1.5mm into the connection unit. It needs to be fused down as it is fused at 30amp if you don't. If it's just a 3kw oven then i change the connection unit to a single socket and put the oven on a plug fused at 13amp. Alternatively, you could change the cooker circuit from 30amp to 16 amp then you could connect straight into the connection unit.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:13 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

ok mate cheers. Im going to have to look into this more as to why the oven are supplied like this. End of the day i have a business to run and cant aford mistakes like this due to poor instructions etc etc I do everything by the book, so if the instructions from reputable manufacturers state XXXXXXXX then thats how it goes...

cheers pal
Old 11-11-2006, 03:19 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Series1Dry

If its a 1.5mm mate it should be a 6a not a 16a.

A radial power circuit is 2.5mm and protected by a 16a breaker. Ring mains are 32a protected and 2.5mm becuse the cross sectional area is doubled cause your using 2x2.5mm so the mcb can be doubled as it can take twice the current.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:30 PM
Dannn
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Lee Reynolds

Not 1 to argue or disagree but every oven have installed has had a piece of 6mm twin and earth hard wired into the cooker terminals, then the other nd connected to the local cooker switch which is located near the cooker. The cooker outlet is wired back to the board. There is no fuse or mcb in the cooker outlet so if the cooker flex was only 1.5mm it not going to be protected by the 32a mcb that is protecting the cooker circuit.

Think about it the cooker goes into fault the 1.5mm starts to smolder and sets on fire so you rush into the kitchen thinking the spuds are burning but its really its the ceiling
why would it come with the oven then? 1.5mm rubber flex? Id expect cheapo ones to make mistakes, but not Stoves surely?

This has been probably 4 times
Lee is right - some come with pony flex. However my new cooker did not and I was required to wire in 6mm wire directly to it (I use 10mm!). The funny thing was the internal wiring of the cooker the other side of the terminal blocks that I the 10mm went to looked like bell wire ! I was like what the fook am I bothering with this thick shite wire directly to fuse box (on 30amp fuse) via a double pole cooker switch!!
Old 11-11-2006, 03:36 PM
Series1Dry

Series1Dry

If its a 1.5mm mate it should be a 6a not a 16a.

A radial power circuit is 2.5mm and protected by a 16a breaker. Ring mains are 32a protected and 2.5mm becuse the cross sectional area is doubled cause your using 2x2.5mm so the mcb can be doubled as it can take twice the current.
Sorry mate, i forgot to add that if you change the breaker to 16amp then use 2.5mm

Changing it to 6amp would be no good cos it would trip out when you turned the oven on !
Old 11-11-2006, 03:50 PM
Dannn
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by Dannn
Lee Reynolds

Not 1 to argue or disagree but every oven have installed has had a piece of 6mm twin and earth hard wired into the cooker terminals, then the other nd connected to the local cooker switch which is located near the cooker. The cooker outlet is wired back to the board. There is no fuse or mcb in the cooker outlet so if the cooker flex was only 1.5mm it not going to be protected by the 32a mcb that is protecting the cooker circuit.

Think about it the cooker goes into fault the 1.5mm starts to smolder and sets on fire so you rush into the kitchen thinking the spuds are burning but its really its the ceiling
why would it come with the oven then? 1.5mm rubber flex? Id expect cheapo ones to make mistakes, but not Stoves surely?

This has been probably 4 times
Lee is right - some come with pony flex. However my new cooker did not and I was required to wire in 6mm wire directly to it (I use 10mm!). The funny thing was the internal wiring of the cooker the other side of the terminal blocks that I the 10mm went to looked like bell wire ! I was like what the fook am I bothering with this thick shite wire directly to fuse box (on 30amp fuse) via a double pole cooker switch!!
Hmmm.....thinking about this I think my setup is wrong. The 30amp fuse is probably over rated for the internal cooker wire. I am going to pull the thing out and see the rating for it. If it is rated lower - say 13amp. Can I changed the fuse to a lower rating at the fuse box ?
Old 11-11-2006, 04:26 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Dann, on the ovens i have fitted before using the said 1.5mm flex, going to the connection point into 6mm i too thought WTF is htis all about, 6mm, then this thin shit So looked at the terminal in the oven and as you say its like speaker wire..so i presumed they must know what they are on with and the flex is fine.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:45 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Lee Reynolds

Just been round me mates house that hes just bought and its got a cooker there with a 1.5mm flex WITH PLUG plugged into the cooker terminal.

Are th cookers your fitting gas cookers with an electric ignitor????????/

I'm guessing the cookers you hav intalled need plugging in and not hard wiring.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:02 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Alps. I really appreciate your help mate honestly and please done take this the wrong way, BUT, WTF do you think i am? Like id mistake a gas cooker for an electric.

Yes i have fitted gas and plugged in the ignition cable into a socket in the cupboard next to the oven..But i really am talkin electric here...
Old 12-11-2006, 01:23 PM
Sexy-RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steave, Speak to johnny he comes round and does anything electrical we need lol