General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

L8 ECU, closed loop then live map...questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 08:07 AM
Mr C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default L8 ECU, closed loop then live map...questions

Say I have a L8 ecu and I get my 2wd sapphire setup to run MSD closed loop on it, is that same chip then able to be live mapped by a tuner more local to me should I change the spec of the engine at a later date to optimise performance or will that same chip be removed and new one fitted?
This is the L8 ECU in question, will a MSD Closed loop plug straight into the board now?

Old 03-11-2006, 08:18 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Official PassionFord Trader
Administrator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Chip will plug straight into what you have there.

NOBODY can live map somebody elses chip with a standard Weber L8 no matter what they say as teh system does not conform to a flash protocol, so they will always have to start again. Me included, although i obviously would have your original to start with. Anyone else would have to break my security encryption to start fresh using my closed loop base file. Which is very unlikely to happen as it would hopefully take months.

What commonly happens is they will copy the chip you have for their own use, then make small mods to teh chip, and try it, then make more small mods to teh chip,. and then try it.. (Continue until happy) That however is NOT live mapping, in fact it is far from it. It is essentially just trying a bag of chips until you find one that does what you want it to do.