General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

grs intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 10:41 AM
stuartrst
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grs intercooler

hi got my intercooler del today have set sat aside to fit it. any tips for easy install or things to watch out for. it is evo 5 front mounted grs with two fans.cheers in advance
Old 02-11-2006, 11:03 AM
stuartrst
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone
Old 02-11-2006, 01:27 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That'll be the usual helpful PF crew!! Sorry about them!!

Anyway, give yourself plenty of time. I wouldn't start it if the weather is grotty.

The install isn't too bad though. Strip everything out, give it all a bit of a clean-up, then fix the fans to the front of the rad. When you refit it, it's worth fettling whatever you have to, so that you can get the rad back as far as possible. As long as you have a couple of inches between the rad and the turbo/actuator that will be fine. The further back you can get it now, the less you will need to take out of your bumper. I actually modified the rad mounts on mine quite extensively, but am glad I did spend the time.

Once the rad is in and tight and the fans are connected, then the rest is easy. With the cooler in place, bend the cooler brackets carefully as they tend to snap, I would also put some foam packing between the body and the cooler to absorb vibration. Once the cooler is in, then you can offer the bumper up and trim where necessary. There is some metal in the back of the bumper, along with foam. I pretty much stripped this all out of the middle section, so that my cooler has room to 'breathe'. I suggest you do the same.

Good luck.