General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

washing/claying/waxing/polishing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 12:17 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default washing/claying/waxing/polishing?

What order is it done?

I know most car shampoo's have a wax in them?

wash
clay
wash
wax
polish?

never know wht to buy an why im buying it really have tried the net but theirs so much info its a pain to read and get a straight order of whats to be done when.

if I was to buy meguaiers products, what needs bought to do all of the above. . as theirs all different kinds/grades gold class etc takes ages trying to read it all an you need meguiers hee haw after you use ma peesh ah
Old 01-11-2006, 12:21 PM
Gaz7
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wash>Clay>Polish>Wax.

For a full set up: Wash>Clay>Polish>Glaze>Seal>Wax

For Diamond White you shouldn't glaze though, or use a heavy carnauba wax - it doesn't suit the colour.

I recommend:

Wash
Clay (Meg's Quik Clay/Poorboy's Clay for something a little more effective)
Polish (by hand) ClearKote Vanilla Moose Glaze (confusing name but it is a polish - the Americans grade their products differently to what most in the UK are used to)
Seal - Poorboy's EX-P
Wax - Optimum Car Wax - really quick and easy, and the best for white.

HTH

Gareth
Old 01-11-2006, 12:23 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WTF is claying
Old 01-11-2006, 12:24 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

cheers Gareth, can you get all that stuff in Halfrauds? (got some vouchers I need to use up )

Rich - http://209.85.135.104/search?q=cache...k&ct=clnk&cd=2
Old 01-11-2006, 12:24 PM
Gaz7
PassionFord Regular

A few of examples on Diamond White:

Gareth
Old 01-11-2006, 12:25 PM
Gaz7
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by vroooom ptssssh
cheers Gareth, can you get all that stuff in Halfrauds? (got some vouchers I need to use up )
Afraid not mate, internet orders only...

Gareth
Old 01-11-2006, 12:27 PM
Gaz7
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by CossieRich
WTF is claying
Claying is using a clay bar on the paint which removes bonded contaminants such as industrial fall out, sap, metal fragments etc. It's the only way to do it - polishing cannot do this.

To see if your paint needs claying, once the car is washed and dried, put your hand in a clear plastic sandwich bag and rub it over the paint - using the palm of your hand. It should feel completely smooth, like wet glass. If you can feel lumps and bumps, then it needs claying

Gareth
Old 01-11-2006, 12:28 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

hmmm, I think meg's is the best Halfruads sell, what items from them would I need to do the job if you know?
Old 01-11-2006, 12:31 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaz7
WTF is claying
Claying is using a clay bar on the paint which removes bonded contaminants such as industrial fall out, sap, metal fragments etc. It's the only way to do it - polishing cannot do this.

To see if your paint needs claying, once the car is washed and dried, put your hand in a clear plastic sandwich bag and rub it over the paint - using the palm of your hand. It should feel completely smooth, like wet glass. If you can feel lumps and bumps, then it needs claying

Gareth
Thanks for the info. I dont need to do the plastic bag trick, mine deffo needs claying. Where do you get a clay bar from, does it take long to do and do you need certain skills in order to do it or can anyone do it?
Old 01-11-2006, 12:34 PM
Gaz7
PassionFord Regular

Clay - go for Quik Clay.

Polish - Their Deep Crystal stuff isn't proper polish - but stage one is a paint cleaner, so you'd use this. Stage two, which they call a 'pure polish' is actually a glaze and won't do anything for your paint.

Wax - i don't recommend the Gold Class stuff, it's probably the worst GC product - loads of better waxes available - it wouldn't suit white anyway. Meg's don't do a wax along the lines of OCW so there's no alternative

If you want to stick with Meg's you'll be best off with NXT tech wax - it's a bit of an all in one, with some cleaning, glaze and sealing properties. It's durability is poor though.

Pick up some Gold Class applicators too, as they're good

Gareth
Old 01-11-2006, 12:35 PM
Gaz7
PassionFord Regular

WTF is claying

Gareth
Thanks for the info. I dont need to do the plastic bag trick, mine deffo needs claying. Where do you get a clay bar from, does it take long to do and do you need certain skills in order to do it or can anyone do it?
Halfords sell Meg's Quik Clay, but if your car hasn't been do before, do for something a little more effective - the Poorboy's bar would be best for you. Anyone can clay, it's nothing to be worried about - just make sure you use plenty of lube (oo-er!). You should polish after a clay, to re-protect the paint.

Gareth
Old 01-11-2006, 12:47 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

So meguiars (except the clay) is pretty useless, I take it Auto glym wont be any better?

nothings ever easy lol
Old 01-11-2006, 12:51 PM
Gaz7
PassionFord Regular

It's not useless, Meg's and AG are both very good - it's just that from personal experience of trying LOTS ( ) of stuff, there's much better stuff out there for the same/similar money - including stuff which can beat much more expensive products if you select the right ones for your colour.

If you've got vouchers to use up though (how much?) go for the clay, some applicators, and your pick of the polishes/ tech wax. Or go for alternative products that you may need, like the Endurance tyre gel, which is one of the better gels, or anything else

Gareth
Old 01-11-2006, 01:00 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Ive got Ł50 in vouchers
Old 01-11-2006, 01:09 PM
Gaz7
PassionFord Regular

Halfords is pretty expensive, so you could go for a lambs wool mitt (about Ł10 i think), Quik Clay (not sure, but probably about Ł15 in HF's) 2x GC applicators (probably Ł4ish each) then make the rest up for anything else that takes your fancy

Gareth
Old 01-11-2006, 01:18 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Or you could just buy the lot off Gareth anyway!
Old 01-11-2006, 01:33 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

I'd buy the lot off gareth if he accepted halfords vouchers

p.s. thanks for the help Gareth
Old 01-11-2006, 01:34 PM
Gaz7
PassionFord Regular

No.

Gareth

P.S. No worries mate
Old 01-11-2006, 02:08 PM
MWF
PassionFord Post Troll

When it comes to claying I've taken to doing it using shampoo suds as lube. I shampoo the car as normal and then rinse, then with a bucket of suds go round claying.

Gaz has covered everything really and I'd take his advice, especially regarding the applicators pads and clothes.

Nice to see a car cleaning post properly answered really.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:38 PM
Doh
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Polish - Their Deep Crystal stuff isn't proper polish - but stage one is a paint cleaner, so you'd use this. Stage two, which they call a 'pure polish' is actually a glaze and won't do anything for your paint.
what do u mean by "won't do anything for your paint" ? what would u recommend for dark colours?
Old 01-11-2006, 03:53 PM
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

gaz=bufty
Old 01-11-2006, 04:11 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Doh

what do u mean by "won't do anything for your paint" ? what would u recommend for dark colours?
Seconded. Loving this advice from people who make their cars look fabulous.

I will be honest here and admit, until a few weeks ago i didnt even know polish and wax wasnt teh same thing!
Old 01-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

Davie, why do you need to polish your car?

Or even clean it? You never drive it!
Old 01-11-2006, 04:40 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

youd be surprised how dirty it gets Rab, after a wash the paint feels grity unless you polish it (like every 3rd wash)

least I can keep one long enough to even wash
Old 01-11-2006, 04:43 PM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

Originally Posted by vroooom ptssssh
youd be surprised how dirty it gets Rab, after a wash the paint feels grity unless you polish it (like every 3rd wash)

least I can keep one long enough to even wash

Touche
Old 01-11-2006, 06:15 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments

I will be honest here and admit, until a few weeks ago i didnt even know polish and wax wasnt the same thing!
I knew there was a difference...

and I've used both...

but used them in the wrong order

Gaz set me st8.

Sell the vouchers to a m8 and spend ya cash with Gaz!

Alex
Old 01-11-2006, 06:32 PM
Gaz7
PassionFord Regular

MWF - that's cool if you have a clay/shampoo combo that works fine - the only thing to point out to some people new to claying is that some shampoos will destroy clay bars due to their ingredients, so you'll have wasted your money Using a detailing spray is the safe route

I've actually managed to reply to a cleaning thread without being slated It doesn't feel right; someone slate me, quick

Gareth
Old 01-11-2006, 06:36 PM
Gaz7
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Doh

In that case i meant that he could use the product, but it won't improve the finish, so there's little point.

The opposite applies to dark colours. I can't quite make it out from your sig, but is your car solid black? Dark colours respond extremely well to glazes (the opposite of white really) - ClearKote Red Moose Glaze is the best for this. It really richens up dark colours like Imperial Blue, solid reds and blacks etc.

If your car is solid black, consider using that glaze, and a good finishing wax. It's not talked about much, but ClearKote Carnauba Moose Wax is truly awesome on black cars, and loads more durable than some other waxes that perform well on black, like Pinnacle.

For dark metallics, you can choose products to give the finish you want, either enhancing the flake, or muting it for a moody wet look

Gareth
Old 01-11-2006, 06:37 PM
Gaz7
PassionFord Regular

An example of wet and reflective on Imperial:

Gareth
Old 01-11-2006, 08:20 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

RMG is AWESOME on Red
Old 01-11-2006, 10:26 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Originally Posted by AlexF
Sell the vouchers to a m8 and spend ya cash with Gaz!

Alex
If I done that, i'd end up spending the cash somewhere else

Out of interest tho, how much would all that set me back Gaz?
Old 01-11-2006, 11:41 PM
Gaz7
PassionFord Regular

It's all pretty reasonable stuff if you can offload the Halfords vouchers (give them out as Christmas presents )

Gareth
Old 02-11-2006, 12:11 AM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

sounds like a plan

will add that lot to my stocking filler list
Old 05-11-2006, 06:01 PM
Doh
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

In that case i meant that he could use the product, but it won't improve the finish, so there's little point.

The opposite applies to dark colours. I can't quite make it out from your sig, but is your car solid black? Dark colours respond extremely well to glazes (the opposite of white really) - ClearKote Red Moose Glaze is the best for this. It really richens up dark colours like Imperial Blue, solid reds and blacks etc.

If your car is solid black, consider using that glaze, and a good finishing wax. It's not talked about much, but ClearKote Carnauba Moose Wax is truly awesome on black cars, and loads more durable than some other waxes that perform well on black, like Pinnacle.

For dark metallics, you can choose products to give the finish you want, either enhancing the flake, or muting it for a moody wet look

Gareth
thanks for the advice i'll add those onto my shopping list, i was just using the megs 3 step, but i'm about out so am looking for the best products for the job really as i've read the stage 3 isn't great elsewhere...

yes the 4i is solid black, i've also got a dark metalic blue passat and and apache orange metalic tvr, the missus has a metalic silver puma. I do like the metal flake look on the metalics though
Old 14-11-2006, 07:55 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

up for Gaz7

very dark met blue, need to get ordering some new stuff!

wheres the best place to get all the gear and which ones???