General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Engine won't rev cleanly

Search this Thread

Old 17-10-2006, 06:09 PM
Escy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine won't rev cleanly

This isn't a Ford engine (it's too good ), but i'm sure this is a general question.

I've got a 20v 4A-GE engine in my Toyota Corolla Levin. It was running fine, took it for a good blast, (8,000rpm and it didn't hit the redline ), 1st time i've driven it since i've had it / done the cambelt.

My mate went to use it the next day, he said he turned it over and left it to warm up, when he came back to it, it was tapping and wouldn't rev past 3k. It turns out the drivebelt had started to de-laminate and was hitting things everywhere. Put a new belt on it today but it still doesn't want to rev properly.

It's perfect at idle/low revs, on WOT, it's fine up untill 3k where it just holds back, if I back off, I can ease the revs up to say 6,000rpm and then when I put my foot to the floor it just holds back. It's like a mis-fire but without the pops and bangs. It seems quite smooth when it's holding back.

I thought the cambelt might have skipped a tooth, stripped it down and it's all bang on. The plugs in it are new.

It seems funny how one day it's fine and the next it's fucked. Maybe my mate isn't telling me the whole story.

It has VVT, don't know if this has anything to do with it. Any ideas guy's.