General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Resigned this morning after 18 years service!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 12:37 PM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Resigned this morning after 18 years service!!

feel pretty low at the mo, I have worked at the same onshore chemical company since leaving school in 88, I have been pissed off for the last couple of years because due to a shortage of qualified people or people "bothered" to learn the plants I have had to step down 2 positions Job wise (still get my other jobs pay tho) I recently got an offshore position with another company so this morning I had a meeting with my ops manager to tell him, to say he was angry was an understatemant although it does drop him in it with regards to a lack of qualified staff.

I should be looking forward to my New job but I feel guilty as hell for leaving and scared shitless that the new job might not suit me and I will be gutted for leaving.

2 weeks on 2 off and a big pay rise should be cheering me up but it's not!!!

steve
Old 03-10-2006, 12:48 PM
jacko
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stop being a big puff and go for it you make choices to better things for you and your fammily not every one else

ps is the mini out to do with you
Old 03-10-2006, 12:50 PM
Martyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ball is in your court then, ask him to make an offer to make it worth your while to stay
Old 03-10-2006, 12:52 PM
RapidRS
Regular Contributor

Default Re: Resigned this morning after 18 years service!!

Originally Posted by the youth
feel pretty low at the mo, I have worked at the same onshore chemical company since leaving school in 88, I have been pissed off for the last couple of years because due to a shortage of qualified people or people "bothered" to learn the plants I have had to step down 2 positions Job wise (still get my other jobs pay tho) I recently got an offshore position with another company so this morning I had a meeting with my ops managerto tell him, to say he was angry was an understatemant although it does drop him in it with regards to a lack of qualified staff.

I should be looking forward to my New job but I feel guilty as hell for leaving and scares shitless that the new job might not suit me and I will be gutted for leaving.

2 weeks on 2 off and a big pay rise should be cheering me up but it's not!!!

Steve
Whatever you do, don't feel guilty. You've made the decision to change because you were unhappy in your current employment and your management were to stupid / ignorant / too far up their own arse (delete or add as appropriate) to either get you the help you needed or indeed restructure and train someone they already had to do the job that needed doing, and failed to see that you were stuggling.

Change always feels scary as you are diving into the unknown and the outcome could go belly up (worst case scenario). Grab your new opportunity with both hands and you'll soon know whether the decision to change was a good one.

I work for a well known 4x4 manufacturer and am currently signed off due to collapsing at work which the quacks have said was due to stress and anxiety at work due to my management not realising that taking the only 2 other people out of my department and leaving me to run absolutely everything, was only going to end up with me burning myself out. It's taken me the time I've had off since then to realise that I am the only thing that matters, not my job.

Good luck with your new job and all the best for the future, I'm sure you've made the right choice.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:53 PM
SteveB
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Perhaps THEY should have thought about what you ment to them b4 hand.......

Imo if you get fucked about you WILL start to look elsewhere for work no matter how long you've worked somewhere!!!

Good luck with you new job....

Steve
Old 03-10-2006, 12:53 PM
Smit
The 60ft Launch King

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Steve - Fuck him mate! If he wanted to keep you he would offer u a big pay-rise and not moan like a little girl!

And you said u were getting pissed off.... Look forwards to having a few weeks off a month
Old 03-10-2006, 01:47 PM
MILLSY-MAX
Virgin

There's no point feeling guilty. I had the same thing recently - worked for a magazine for almost six years but because I was good at what I did they would never promote me. I'd been pissed off for about a year so when the chance to leave came I went. Felt guilty for leaving them in it as one of the other guys left at the same time, but there really is no place for emotions in stuff like this. They'd crap on you without too much thought, you've just got to look after number one.
And it is scary, at the moment I'm dabbling in freelance but I have no regular income and gave up on a decent paying job. So at least you have the security still and if you were that good at your old job I imagine the new one will be a great move for you and they'll be thankful to have you.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:01 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ach forget about it and enjoy the offshore lifestyle!
Old 03-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

Mate, did the same thing with the cruise ship company I worked for.

Left. Went to the RFA. New job is excellent, so much so I am kicking myself for not applying to them YEARS ago

Mind you, I got de-moted twice working for said cruise company, received about 8 written warnings (bit of a record, most only get 2 then get fired ) and beat the shit out of the 2nd engineer on the first ship I was on.

Got told daily how stupid/crap/arrogant I was, and this made me quite depressed. After a new start with the RFA I am getting along great Just like it used to be before I went to cruise ships.

You'll be fine mate, new job new chance to impress and get shit done. You'll wonder why you stayed at your previous company so long.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:40 PM
Paddy
Legend

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Your Ops Manager is only pissed off because it means he'll probably have to some work!

Fuck him, get on and enjoy a better job
Old 03-10-2006, 04:00 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

cannot add anything thats not been said Steve.

once you start it will be ok.

good luck mate.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:31 PM
righthooker
PassionFord Post Whore!!

His problem ,not yours mate .
Just get your head up .Work your notice and get the fuck out of there

They will have to sort there own shit out
Old 03-10-2006, 11:27 PM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Steve

He would be shedding no tears if he was giving you your cards...

Two weeks off to play with your 100E and a big hike in money so you can Zetec or Duratec it......

Stroll on !!!!

Good Luck in your new job...
Old 04-10-2006, 04:54 AM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

go for it steve
Old 04-10-2006, 06:56 AM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You are doing the right thing chap. Jobwise there are very few company's or managers that will look out for you and the only person who can take control is you, so well done for taking a stand and making the change. It will be for the best I am sure. And if you don't enjoy it then at least you'll know and find something else, but it will be a good learning experience. I left Kodak after 8 years, it was a company I really liked but times were changing. I went into consultancy and hated it, 10 months later I landed the same job I had at Kodak but for a different company in a different industry, more money etc etc. And I'm loving it.

Good luck.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:25 AM
tpaul
Regular Contributor

Hi mate
I think it will be hard for you for the first few weeks, but if im being honest i left a job after 13yrs and they used to make out the grass was not greener on the other side etc etc.
Since leaving i have moved on a great deal and wish i had left 10 years before that
The funny thing was i was in the said place the other day buying something and one of my old supervisors asked me if i wanted to come back and work for them
I have been away from there now 7yrs, i politely said thanks but no thanks.
Dont look back my friend
You will get into the swing of your new job very soon, and for sure will have more enthusiasm in the role.
As said bosses dont care about you, look after no 1.
And if things dont work out if your ex boss thinks that much of you he would want you back.
Good luck
Paul
Old 05-10-2006, 05:11 PM
rsturbowhite
PassionFord Regular

chin up steve , lifes wot u make it , not the shit u have to take
hope u settle well in to yea new job matey , we all be thinking about u
Old 07-10-2006, 09:29 PM
plynchy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Know how you're feeling mate. Could be in a very similar situation myself within the next few weeks all being well.

Been in my job for over 12 years and it's just sooooo comfortable, not doing me or my brain any good at all. A move will definitely be a good thing I think, plus i'm bored shitless, but get paid pretty well.

Pro's & con's to everything mate, at least your lass will only have to see you 2 weeks out of four.

Old 07-10-2006, 09:37 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

same situation for me as you posted tho only 10 years for me, had a promising interview on friday 1 position available, and its now down to 3 suitable people, me being one off them, tho if i dont get it ill try elsewhere
Old 07-10-2006, 09:44 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go for it mate as said, i work for a company most would prob die to go to but tbh the pay is shit and due to numbers dropping with production this year (lst year we were doin 16cars pw now we do 6-7 last time i checked ) theres bugger all OT which is what we all relyed on to pay the bills. They jacked in all the contractors and slowly 1 by 1 our permi numbers are dropping like flies!!! but rather than offer a payrise to those left their now applying for un-skilled or semi skilled ppl who they want to "train up" which basically means paying them fook all!!!

The biggest kick in the ball was they took on some of the contrators full time beginning of the year for about 5k more than im on

Ah well will find something else at some point like u did
Old 07-10-2006, 09:49 PM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

thanks for all your comments guys, seem to have cheered up this week, still leaving and now looking forwrd to my new position and fook the arsoles i'm leaving behind!!!

Plynchy tell me more

steve
Old 07-10-2006, 10:17 PM
COSSIE 1
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by MILLSY-MAX
There's no point feeling guilty. I had the same thing recently - worked for a magazine for almost six years but because I was good at what I did they would never promote me. I'd been pissed off for about a year so when the chance to leave came I went. Felt guilty for leaving them in it as one of the other guys left at the same time, but there really is no place for emotions in stuff like this. They'd crap on you without too much thought, you've just got to look after number one.
And it is scary, at the moment I'm dabbling in freelance but I have no regular income and gave up on a decent paying job. So at least you have the security still and if you were that good at your old job I imagine the new one will be a great move for you and they'll be thankful to have you.
ARE U MILLSY FROM MAXPOWER??????????? WITH THE 2WD SAPH COSSIE???????
Old 07-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Greg Shepherd
Chasing Radders

think everyone else has covered it m8

but who cares what you old boss thinks if hwe wanted you there that much he would have offered you more money he obviously knows he gona have to work now

could luck in new job
Old 07-10-2006, 10:34 PM
plynchy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for all your comments guys, seem to have cheered up this week, still leaving and now looking forwrd to my new position and fook the arsoles i'm leaving behind!!!

Plynchy tell me more

Steve
What about? Your missus or my situation?

C you tomorrow mate.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:07 PM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by plynchy

Plynchy tell me more

Steve
What about? Your missus or my situation?

C you tomorrow mate.
ok m8 see you at the meeting

steve