General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

A busy Sunday...shims fitted

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 03:13 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A busy Sunday...shims fitted

....only just put these on...they basically go on the rear hubs inbetween that and the brake shield...you can visabaly see from the picture that when correctly fitted the bottom of the wheel is now sitting in rather than out...A cosworth squats on accelaration and the wheels try to do the splits which gives less tyre coverage on the road ...now when it accelarates you get much more tyre contact which equals grip...it basically is a poor mans grp a rear beam!!! ....add the caravan spring assistors and it can only squat so much again getting more tyre on the road......its really as far as you can sensibly go for traction...i run 235 rears and on a ET35 you have no arch mods to do.

Also had an interior rethink...boost gauge now moved to where i can see it and SECS moved to original location with a nice carpet surround as the moniter isnt a saff version! ......Gettin functional now.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:18 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

big difference.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:19 PM
Rs1
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So when you nailing it you have good tyre contact
What about when you not nailing it though? Off throttle+positive camber is gonna make direction changing fun ,especially in the wet and/or going over crests on track.

Yes,no........maybe??
Old 01-10-2006, 03:34 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

the shims probably don't make it positive camber when it normally sits on the road. just looks bad where the tyre hasn't slid when dropping it off the jack i reckon
Old 01-10-2006, 04:57 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...German block......you are of course partially correct that is the side i done first after both sides were done i moved the car back to come off the front stopper and and rolled forward and took a photo...i expect it will be not as positive now..but you get the picture of what they do.

RS1...the instructions say it makes handling more predictable.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:20 PM
THE RADMAN
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

theres no way you would tell from a picture theyre that thin youd never tell difference