General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Sony Bravia LCD's.. How mint are they?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 23-09-2006, 01:01 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Sony Bravia LCD's.. How mint are they?!?!?!

Was in Bluewater this morning and stopped by the Sony store to have a nose... Looked a wall of Bravia's ranging from 32", 36", 40", and 42" LCD's, all playing a HD "test" disc (from a PC hooked up behind)

Holy crap tho - the picture was absolutely STUNNING Even on the 42" LCD, right upclose to the screen there was NOTHING wrong with the picture at all! It was crystal pin-sharp, vibrant colours, superb contrast, no pixelation, no "blurring" of edges or colours, no visiable "slowness" of refresh rate, no juddering or jittering of images... Absolutely stunning...

Got the sales guy to demo the 40" version for me with a couple of differnet formats, and of course, soon as he turned it onto the normal Freeview channel, the pic quality was noticeable different. Not as sharp, vibrant or clear, you had to be more than 2 meters away for it to look "good", and even then you could still make out a little pixelation, but not a lot. Was a tad slower too....

DVD's (normal, not HD DVD) were bloody good tho, not as good as the HD content, but still bloody good.....

But it's made me think, that unless you are gonna watch a lot of HD DVD or have Sky HD, then a HD TV is not really worth it - might aswell save your money and get a "Normal" LCD as with that kind of transmission (non-HD) you ain't gonna notice a difference... And for peeps like me that don't watch enough TV to warrent paying out for Sky (fuck me, I watch less than half the Freeview channels, and still can't find anything to watch, let alone hundreds of Sky channels I have to actually PAY for!) it's simply not worth it (tho it would be nice for when HD DVD becomes more widespread and "standard")

Still, well impressed - deffo the best 40" and 42" LCD's I have seen yet.....

But I think I will stick with good old 100hz CRT
Old 23-09-2006, 02:31 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I have the Bravia 40" Sony To be fair, its ok, but Im sure there are better.. good for what I paid tho..

Well chuffed tho, HD is quality
Old 23-09-2006, 03:24 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

as you say thrush, if you dont watch much tv or havent got sky HD etc then whats the point? im happy with my 7-8 year old 26" jvc tv, ok its big/heavy/bulky but it does the job for me and the sound is really good from it and nice clear picture on sky digital

Oh and about sky, i dont really watch much of the channels so i thought about downgrading my package but since we do our landline phone through sky to get cheaper calls etc then we wasnt allowed to drop out of a "package" and just have the free channels(which is what i wanted to do) but since my parents do the phone through them ive had to leave us on one of there packages but i managed to get it down to 18 a month which aint bad considering we save more than that on the phone bills each quater or whatever it is
Old 23-09-2006, 03:30 PM
stonehavencossie
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive just got a lg 50" HD plasma this week and im absolutely bowled over by it

cant wait for my sky hd box to arrive

downlaoded some HD trailers via my xbox and they look stunning