General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.
View Poll Results: Fork out thousands now, or wait til insurance is more reasonable?
Wait til insurance is more reasonable
84.44%
Fork out thousands for insurance now
15.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

To Sierra Cosworth Drivers....

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 04:57 PM
Mr Brannen
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet you look at your Mams driveway now and just dream of seeing a 3dr sat there, messing on with it n cleaning it n that, and yeah for a few months it will seem like thats all you will ever want to do in life.......then further down the line the novelty will wear of and you arent excited as much as u were when u see the car on your mams driveway, yet its still taking all your salary
Then you`ll start to wonder if u did the right thing, by my calculations of your salary plus your insurance premium, you will be paying your whole monthly salary on that fuckin 3dr , bearing in mind these things dont run on fresh air, they need absolute A1 care and attention and then even then they arent foolproof, sorry mate but I dont think you earn enough yet to own one,
Old 05-09-2006, 04:58 PM
dovboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i bought my cos when i was 20 and it was great but as i got older i regreted not trying out a few other cars first
i would have liked an s1 turbo or a mk2 escy

if you realy want a cosworth buy a saff for trackdays and a diesel to insure
Old 05-09-2006, 05:01 PM
dovboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Mr Brannen
I bet you look at your Mams driveway now and just dream of seeing a 3dr sat there, messing on with it n cleaning it n that, and yeah for a few months it will seem like thats all you will ever want to do in life.......then further down the line the novelty will wear of and you arent excited as much as u were when u see the car on your mams driveway, yet its still taking all your salary
Then you`ll start to wonder if u did the right thing, by my calculations of your salary plus your insurance premium, you will be paying your whole monthly salary on that fuckin 3dr , bearing in mind these things dont run on fresh air, they need absolute A1 care and attention and then even then they arent foolproof, sorry mate but I dont think you earn enough yet to own one,
spot on,i know its not what you want to hear but.....
Old 05-09-2006, 05:12 PM
Adrenaline Junkie
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Brannen
You're probably very right.

I've been through 6 cars so far, each changed because i got bored of it.

How do RS Turbo's fair then? Daily use? Running costs?

Insurance could possibly be got down to something reasonable, and i believe i'm right in saying they can be bought for less?
Old 05-09-2006, 06:04 PM
PeterD
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Buy an RS turbo mate, you wont look back.

You wont spend as much on insurance either bit it still wont be cheap bit you prob wont need to loan and finance yourself up to the hilt to pay for it.

then if you still want to you can move to cossie'e later
Old 05-09-2006, 06:34 PM
Adrenaline Junkie
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Lucid
Buy an RS turbo mate, you wont look back.

You wont spend as much on insurance either bit it still wont be cheap bit you prob wont need to loan and finance yourself up to the hilt to pay for it.

then if you still want to you can move to cossie'e later

Like i said, my first quote was Ł3500, so it still needs to drop a grand before its like what i'm paying now, which i'd be happy to pay.

Can you tell me what the performance would be like then, as my question was ignored lol.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:35 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

i wouldnt pay more than a grand to insure an old sierra
Old 05-09-2006, 06:41 PM
Adrenaline Junkie
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds

But you're evidentily older than i am....
Old 05-09-2006, 06:47 PM
melzieann
Advanced PassionFord User

its criminal to spend that on insurance mate, inmo wait a few years it will be worth it
Old 05-09-2006, 06:49 PM
mattbibs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i paid 2300 tpft on a frst at 19. year after it was 900! whats the rush?

if i did things again i would have saved that 2300 waited a year or two - add it to the 3k i bought the car for and then we're talking reasonable figures for a reasonable car.

and if you like stu's so much then get a saph. sounds like they still meet all the requirements without the 8k+ price tag which is what 3dr's are commanding nowadays!
Old 05-09-2006, 06:52 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by Adrenaline Junkie

whats with the rolleyes pal. Just wait thats all im saying. Buy something nice but easier to insure. Its good waiting it gives you something to look forward to and work towards.

Being absolutely skint for a car wont make it enjoyable...at first yes but after that it will become a hinderance
Old 05-09-2006, 06:53 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by mattbibs
i paid 2300 tpft on a frst at 19. year after it was 900! whats the rush?

if i did things again i would have saved that 2300 waited a year or two - add it to the 3k i bought the car for and then we're talking reasonable figures for a reasonable car.

and if you like Stu's so much then get a saph. sounds like they still meet all the requirements without the 8k+ price tag which is what 3dr's are commanding nowadays!
hows the golf coming on bibsy?>
Old 05-09-2006, 06:59 PM
mattbibs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

really good thanks - getting good with all the irons. but.........

cant drive for shit!

need a 3wood as its really difficult getting my driver (1wood) in the sweet spot!

was just about to reply to lee's earlier msg - so true about always working towards a car. ive wanted a 3dr since i joined the derby group! and now i have one i dont know what car is the next on the list. stuck really as cant afford serious power bm's and similar powered cars to the 3dr!
Old 05-09-2006, 07:05 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by mattbibs
really good thanks - getting good with all the irons. but.........

cant drive for shit!

need a 3wood as its really difficult getting my driver (1wood) in the sweet spot!

was just about to reply to lee's earlier msg - so true about always working towards a car. ive wanted a 3dr since i joined the derby group! and now i have one i dont know what car is the next on the list. stuck really as cant afford serious power bm's and similar powered cars to the 3dr!
mate im still inconsistent with the driver and im off 10hc hardest club in bag. Leave it in garage and get a 3 wood for now
Old 05-09-2006, 07:08 PM
mattbibs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

definitely the next plan as it puts me in a pisser of a mood after having a go!

5 iron is the new fave club with the 3 a close 2nd!
Old 05-09-2006, 07:26 PM
UBster
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

If I had my time again I'd get a a nice zetec-s till I was 21 and not fcuk around with old money pits, what happens when it blows up? ŁŁŁŁ fuel, insurance etc etc

Seriously all the guys on here know the gut feeling you've got of wanting a cosworth so when they say it's not worth it I'd take the advice I wish I did!

The zetec-s was just an example btw <insert any small fun car here>, spend your money on enjoying yourself instead

Then 21 with 3 years no claims and your into getting something half decent , then nearing that 25 and you have a sorted job, cheap insurance and you can have what you want!!
Old 05-09-2006, 07:36 PM
Adrenaline Junkie
PassionFord Regular

whats with the rolleyes pal. Just wait thats all im saying. Buy something nice but easier to insure. Its good waiting it gives you something to look forward to and work towards.

Being absolutely skint for a car wont make it enjoyable...at first yes but after that it will become a hinderance

Sorry i didn't mean the rolleyes to be offensive matey, i was just pointing out that whilst you might not pay that sort of money to insure a car, i don't have a choice in the matter...

I'm yet to find a quote for any car less than a grand.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:38 PM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Default POLL

My honest advice, don't be in a rush to buy a cosworth because they are wallet hoovers, they fuck up and break quite often, certain vital parts are hard to source/no longer availible, they are getting old and get all sorts of niggly problems wiring, loom etc, buy a normal run around cheap to run etc build up some no claims bonus and then buy an evo or a m3, either one of the forementioned is gonna be my next vehicle

C L
Old 05-09-2006, 07:39 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

perhaps i should have worded it better lol. I wouldnt pay that at your age is what i was meaning

Sorry i didn't mean the rolleyes to be offensive matey, i was just pointing out that whilst you might not pay that sort of money to insure a car, i don't have a choice in the matter...

I'm yet to find a quote for any car less than a grand.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:25 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 19 aswell and like you i look at peoples cars on here and think man that'd look nice on the drive well worth getting a Ł10k loan for as it looks sooo sexual and fast.

But then i think hang on, it's a old ford sierra which in my book soooo doesn't make it worth that kinda money, especially when the value of the car, insurance and interest far outweights your yearly income. Plus the cost of fuel, tyres, oil and other problems.

Personally as much as i'd like one i don't reckon i'll have one for many years yet as imho theres alot of cheaper cars that can provide alot of fun for much less money.

You say you get bored of cars and want something fun afterall? well, what cars have you had? a 2.5 Omega isn't a fun car in anyones book.
Try these for size; XR2T, 325i, 850 T5. All very different cars but each one has it's unique kind of grin factor appeal to it.

HTH
Old 05-09-2006, 10:15 PM
marco polo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by C1ARK
Complete madness

As frog suggested

400 Quid a month insurance
Plus running cost
Plus loan cost

= one very skint lad.

Ok you could have a 3dr but no cash to
fill it up with petrol
no money to take your girlfriend anywhere
No cash to go out boozing with
etc etc etc

Anyway save your cash and buy something that your not constantly worrying about it breaking

100% true words but you can't put an old head on young shoulders

lenny
Old 05-09-2006, 10:25 PM
Phil
Jeebus

Originally Posted by C1ARK
Complete madness

As frog suggested

400 Quid a month insurance
Plus running cost
Plus loan cost

= one very skint lad.

Ok you could have a 3dr but no cash to
fill it up with petrol
no money to take your girlfriend anywhere
No cash to go out boozing with
etc etc etc

Anyway save your cash and buy something that your not constantly worrying about it breaking

400 a month insurance.
200 a month loan.
100 a month rent.

Leaving Ł300 to run the car and spend on whatever i want?
I'm not sure where you get that monthly from but when I was on 14.5k once upon a time I was taking home about 900 quid after tax and NI. You are on 12.5 but the above adds up to Ł1k a month!

Than again, I had my Saph cos when I was on 12.5k as well!
Old 05-09-2006, 10:30 PM
Tangodeltasierra3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Dont you just know hes gonna get 1 Go ahead mate, even if its just for the fact we can all say "told u so" lol....
Old 05-09-2006, 11:37 PM
Tangodeltasierra3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Here you go mate, i think this might help you out in 2 ways, you get a Cossy and save up too

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sierra-RS-Cosw...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 05-09-2006, 11:55 PM
RSBen

Am I right in thinking you would be using it every day and parking it outside?
If so then I wouldnt bother mate, even if the insurance was 500 quid never mind 4k!
The great British weather would soon make sure your 20 year old Sierra started to go rusty.
You would be worried every time you left it anywhere, will it still be there when you get back? (That also includes on your drive!) How many people have opened their car doors onto it? Dented it, scratched it?
As well as frequent oil changes most also use a fair bit of oil.
You would put plenty of miles on it as well as the wear and tear of everyday use like stone chips, worn seat bolsters etc..

On top of all that Cossies can be crap to drive compared to modern stuff. They're a sort of all or nothing kind of car. Big, unresponsive buses in traffic and town driving or mad lairy machines on the open road! Mine starts to get on my nerves after a while if I get stuck in traffic or drive round a lot of residential streets etc..

I know its hard to resist, ive wasted so much money on cars when I was younger but you would be so much better off waiting a few years. Ideally untill you are in a position to garage one and run a 2nd car.

Im 27 and pay just over 300 quid on a classic policy for mine.
If you really cant wait you would be better off with a Saph. Cheaper to buy and nicer to drive.

Good luck whatever you do
Old 05-09-2006, 11:56 PM
RSBen

Originally Posted by Tangodeltasierra3
Here you go mate, i think this might help you out in 2 ways, you get a Cossy and save up too

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sierra-RS-Cosw...QQcmdZViewItem
Quality
Old 06-09-2006, 07:17 AM
Adrenaline Junkie
PassionFord Regular

Thanks for all your advice guys/girls,

I'm going to go with the majority and save some pennies before i get a cosworth.

I'm currently looking into a suitable turbo diesel instead