General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Freeview Boxes

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 12:08 PM
D19 STE
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Freeview Boxes

Whats a good one to get I am sick of shit quality 5 channels and wondered what Freeview box to recommend

I am after a good one without HD, was looking at the Sony one here http://www.npe.sony.co.uk/ but you can't buy it anywhere also looking for a cheap one for the wifes parents

Cheers

Steve
Old 04-09-2006, 12:32 PM
jon@work
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

if you can find one of those Sony boxes - buy it - they're very good
Old 04-09-2006, 12:53 PM
D19 STE
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by jon@work
if you can find one of those Sony boxes - buy it - they're very good
Thats what Ive heard but can I fook find any of them anywhere
Old 04-09-2006, 02:31 PM
S1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a cheap one from Makro recently. It was £20 + VAT. I plugged it in, in place of an expensive one with a card reader I bought last year that never picked anything up. It picked up all 5 normal channels plus shit loads more inc Film4 and E4 etc. I was so impressed with it I bought another one for my house and got me mam n dad one too. I think it was an accura or something?

Also I live nr Chelmsford and am tuned into the Kent transmitter so the signal aint great but the pictures are spot on, no breakup or anything.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:37 PM
D19 STE
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by S1
I bought a cheap one from Makro recently. It was £20 + VAT. I plugged it in, in place of an expensive one with a card reader I bought last year that never picked anything up. It picked up all 5 normal channels plus shit loads more inc Film4 and E4 etc. I was so impressed with it I bought another one for my house and got me mam n dad one too. I think it was an accura or something?

Also I live nr Chelmsford and am tuned into the Kent transmitter so the signal aint great but the pictures are spot on, no breakup or anything.
Cheers
Old 04-09-2006, 04:13 PM
AndyRST
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I got the Sony one, and its the bollocks! brilliant at everything it does!

If i was to look into buying again, i would consider buy a freeview box with a hdd for recording now, but if i was looking to keep price down it would be the Sony again
Old 04-09-2006, 04:43 PM
D19 STE
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by AndyRST
I got the Sony one, and its the bollocks! brilliant at everything it does!

If i was to look into buying again, i would consider buy a freeview box with a hdd for recording now, but if i was looking to keep price down it would be the Sony again
Problem is they have discontinued the Sony one for some reason so I can't get hold of one
Old 04-09-2006, 05:15 PM
coRdiS
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Theirs 4 on ebay right now
Old 04-09-2006, 06:02 PM
filthyrichie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

ebay son ebay, dont spend all yer money the garage guy needs it
Old 04-09-2006, 06:25 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

I bought a couple of cheap ones from Tesco last year (Digifusion, or something like that) - were a tad less than £30 each, and they have pretty much been faultless. One reset itself at one point and refusd to come on - quick unplug and leave for 5 mins, plug in and rescan, and 10 mins later it was all good, been fine every since

Picture is FAR better than analogue aerial pictures, and the thing I like most about em is they broadcast a true 16:9 picture - analogue transmissions are sent on "14:9L" format, which is basically just a bit bigger than normal 4:3, and they do this to save on bandwidth for transmission.

Digital TV has far more bandwidth to play with and you get a full 16:9 pic (and I mean full, as in it's filmed like that - yes even the news lol - and not just stretched out) - much better for watching films n the like.

Of course not everything is filmed in 16:9 tho, a lot of American comedy's etc (Simpsons, Friends, that sort of shit) is all 4:3 (for some reason the Americans don't seem to hot on filming TV stuff in widescreen ) so you can only view it in 4:3/14:9L.....
Old 04-09-2006, 08:21 PM
D19 STE
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by coRdiS
Theirs 4 on ebay right now
Dont fancy paying silly money for a2nd hand one tho

Originally Posted by filthyrichie
ebay son ebay, dont spend all yer money the garage guy needs it
at least the garage guy gives me discount due to me spending so much

Originally Posted by Thrush
I bought a couple of cheap ones from Tesco last year (Digifusion, or something like that) - were a tad less than £30 each, and they have pretty much been faultless. One reset itself at one point and refusd to come on - quick unplug and leave for 5 mins, plug in and rescan, and 10 mins later it was all good, been fine every since

Picture is FAR better than analogue aerial pictures, and the thing I like most about em is they broadcast a true 16:9 picture - analogue transmissions are sent on "14:9L" format, which is basically just a bit bigger than normal 4:3, and they do this to save on bandwidth for transmission.

Digital TV has far more bandwidth to play with and you get a full 16:9 pic (and I mean full, as in it's filmed like that - yes even the news lol - and not just stretched out) - much better for watching films n the like.

Of course not everything is filmed in 16:9 tho, a lot of American comedy's etc (Simpsons, Friends, that sort of shit) is all 4:3 (for some reason the Americans don't seem to hot on filming TV stuff in widescreen ) so you can only view it in 4:3/14:9L.....
Will have alook for these, cheers mate
Old 10-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Funny, was just looking on Argos's site, and they have them - pretty cheap aswell I guess;

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...d%2Bvision.htm
Old 10-09-2006, 03:09 PM
AndyRST
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Thrush
Funny, was just looking on Argos's site, and they have them - pretty cheap aswell I guess;

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...d%2Bvision.htm
Bargin

Better quailty then a cheaper freeview box imo
Old 10-09-2006, 03:35 PM
vx220
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buy a cheapie, if you must have freeview.

get sky or cable(if it's in your area) if your over 18!

as a retailer, either of these is so much less trouble than freeview boxes!

sky do freesat if you don't want a subscription.

disagree that freeview better than analogue. maybe perfect freeview is better than perfect analogue. but the moment a digital signal starts to break up, it will pause, glitch then disappear!

at least a weak analogue signal is watchable!

i know sky/cable get this occasionally, and i also know freeview is poor where i work (southend area)

and i know you could say i get paid by sky to say this (just a little bit on each subscription!)
but we don't have anything to do with cable, and i'd recommend that to any of my customers BEFORE taking their money for a freeview!!!

check your postcode by texting it to 83331 and be prepared for an aerial upgrade
Old 10-09-2006, 03:42 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got one of the cheap ones from currys, about £35 iirc dunno what make it is but can't fault it ay all, sound, picture, everything is spot on.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:57 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

My Freeview has been perfect, no problems (every now and again I get a tiny hiccup or the sound drops out, but this lasts less than 1 second) but the picture quality is sooooooo much better than analogue, and my analogie has always been spot on aswell....
Old 10-09-2006, 07:12 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 372 Likes on 347 Posts

Got a £30 Bush for the mother in law works a treat