General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

hydraulic clutch conversions

Search this Thread

Old 29-08-2006, 03:16 AM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hydraulic clutch conversions

when converting a car to run a hydralic clutch, what maths need to be done when it comes to master/slave cylinder sizes and pedal travel/pedal ratios?

wanna be converting mine soon, its a focus gearbox, ill more than likely just use an integral willwood master cylinder (with the reservior build into it) but unsure what size i need to use and what the pedal travel needs to be to give me the fluid siplacement and therefore right movement in the clutch slave cylinder/release bearing.

anyone shed any light on the subject?
Old 29-08-2006, 08:58 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Square the diameter of the two cylinders, thats the ratio of movement from one to the other mate.

If in doubt go too big rather than too small as you can always alter the point of leverage to make it move less for the same movement on the pedal but you cant make it move more than fully travel, if that makes sense?
Old 29-08-2006, 03:23 PM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

yeah that makes sense chip, just gotta find out the size of the focus slave cylinder then.