General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Marine Fish.... anyone keep them??

Search this Thread

Old 22-06-2006, 04:04 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Marine Fish.... anyone keep them??

As above getting bored with my tropical tank and having seen a friends Marine Tank it looks soooo much nicer, more colourful etc! He tells me they are no more difficult once the tank is set up, and if not easier to look after than tropical...

Does anyone have any experience with these? I have most of the gear to get me started already, just need the live rock, salt and sand!!

Cheers
Chris
Old 22-06-2006, 04:09 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.aquahobby.com/e_marine.php

Looks like good info
Old 22-06-2006, 04:12 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Cheers for the link mate . I've seen a few really useful sites with advice etc but would rather get a hands on 'normal' persons opinion... I'm not a fish geek by any means but would like to be able to look after them myself!

Chris
Old 22-06-2006, 04:14 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

off topic PM Chris
Old 22-06-2006, 04:54 PM
RSKim
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked at getting Marines, but apparently they are REALLY hard to look after, i.e little things like if your temp changes too much either way (say when the weathers hot, it will kill them, when cleaning them out the water temp has to be kept exactly the same whilst changing it....

Not sure how true all that actually is, its what i was told by a fish store when i went looking, and in all fairness they would have got more money out of me if i bought marines!!!!

I think it all depends how much time you have, if you have the time to look after them etc, then they are WELL worth it

Reading that back its a pritty pointless post but im gonna post it since i typed it out
Old 22-06-2006, 04:59 PM
andre_k
PassionFord Post Troll

what equipment do you have so far?
Old 22-06-2006, 05:22 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I have 2 filters, the correct filtration media, tank, heater, correct lighting. Its only a 30" tank so no need to protein filters really.....

Kim - some people say its hard others dont! Tropical are nice but they are so boring (colour wise). I have mainly red tailed sharks and are very active but not active enough for my liking!!!!!

Chris
Old 22-06-2006, 05:24 PM
reality
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

A 'dead' tank is easy to maintaine, the only real difference is you have to maintain a salt level too, which isn't rocket science.. A 'live' tank, as in a reef tank (anaenomies etc., not just fish) is more complex..
Old 22-06-2006, 05:52 PM
RSKim
15K+ Super Poster!!

I think it depends on how much patience you have with all the different things you have to keep at a certain level....supose its only like keeping the PH on the tropical tanks at a constant level?? dunno

Must admit tropicals aren't great colour wise....why not just get a small marine tank, and try your luck lol
Old 22-06-2006, 05:58 PM
reality
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by RSCossieKim
I think it depends on how much patience you have with all the different things you have to keep at a certain level....supose its only like keeping the PH on the tropical tanks at a constant level?? dunno

Must admit tropicals aren't great colour wise....why not just get a small marine tank, and try your luck lol
Cichlids are nice freshwater tropical!

Easy to keep!
Old 22-06-2006, 06:04 PM
Avinitlarge
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by RSCossieKim
I looked at getting Marines, but apparently they are REALLY hard to look after, i.e little things like if your temp changes too much either way (say when the weathers hot, it will kill them, when cleaning them out the water temp has to be kept exactly the same whilst changing it....

Not sure how true all that actually is, its what i was told by a fish store when i went looking, and in all fairness they would have got more money out of me if i bought marines!!!!

I think it all depends how much time you have, if you have the time to look after them etc, then they are WELL worth it

Reading that back its a pritty pointless post but im gonna post it since i typed it out
Damn, beat to it, Yes marine fish are REALLY hard to keep, Expensive to setup, Expensive to stock, All in all its a very expensive do. I like my tropical fish, There are loads of nice ones, Not as nice as marine though. This is one my setups from last year, Slightly different now but it still looks nice