General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Fast and the Furious - Tokyo Drift.

Search this Thread

Old 16-06-2006, 09:45 AM
AKJ-Dan
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fast and the Furious - Tokyo Drift.

Anyone going to see it? Might have to open up the cob webs in the wallet and go see it.

Shame its not got any of the original characters tho

Should be fun.
Old 16-06-2006, 09:49 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of us from work are going at 1pm, about 15 of us i think

Know some people who went to see the preview in london a few days ago, its meant to be pretty decent, like the first one so fairly real (well, in film terms) rather than the complete joke that is the 2nd one.

Apart from the Hulk car, which is gay.
Old 16-06-2006, 09:50 AM
MAD EVO 4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I though the new film starred paul walker from the first film ???
Old 16-06-2006, 09:50 AM
Mark B
Advanced PassionFord User

might go see it after i get my hair cut, waste a bit of time before i head to the pub,

Any news on those pics stav?

MB.
Old 16-06-2006, 09:52 AM
AKJ-Dan
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by KA ZETEC
I though the new film starred Paul walker from the first film ???
Nope..not according to this mate.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0463985/
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

A few guys from the club here went on Wednesday night to a special drive in session. Seems to get mixed ratings as with the other 2. Will probably go and see it.
Urban Legend
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by Stavros
All of us from work are going at 1pm, about 15 of us i think

Know some people who went to see the preview in london a few days ago, its meant to be pretty decent, like the first one so fairly real (well, in film terms) rather than the complete joke that is the 2nd one.

Apart from the Hulk car, which is gay.
thats the nuts!! need to get there early and line the car park with our shitters boys lol

Trending Topics

Old 16-06-2006, 09:53 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Will definately go and watch it, im sure there will be some interesting scenes.

No doubt it will be 99% hyped up hollywood bullshit and stupid "drift" on the back of a trailer that would never happen, but i reckon there will also be 1% some REALLY good driving worth watching.

Films like that are good fun providing you dont take them seriously, and anyway i enjoy the being a picky twat and sitting there going "that nitrous install would never work like that" or whatever anyway, its every englishmans right to pick fault at everything around him
Old 16-06-2006, 09:54 AM
AKJ-Dan
Regular Contributor

Theres not ment to be any computer effects in the film..or so i hear..dunno if this is true.
Old 16-06-2006, 09:56 AM
Urban Legend

apparently stars the A1 drift team?? may be wrong tho
Old 16-06-2006, 09:58 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by AKJ-Dan
Theres not ment to be any computer effects in the film..or so i hear..dunno if this is true.
That still doesnt mean its actualy driving.

Put a car on a hidden sledge, push it along sideways, thats not classed as computer effects but its still bullshit
Old 16-06-2006, 10:00 AM
AKJ-Dan
Regular Contributor

Agreed...i was just stating what i heard
BlueSmoke
PassionFord's crazy fool!

Come on, they can't have taken out the 18 speed gearboxes!
Urban Legend

ethier way it gives the desired effect and leaves us satisfied and also a guide to practice later on the way home!!
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Quote from one of the D1 photgraphers wehos seen the film...

Overall Ill say I enjoyed the film as a lot of the sequences are exciting and well filmed,although some driving sequences (primarily CGI) border on fantasy and in my opinion were not needed. Also it is very 'American' as seen prominently on the trailers and a lot of the things would not be seen outside of the US when the majority of the film is supposedly based in Tokyo. As regards drift techniques used,only 2 bits of information are given (power over and ebrake). Other techniques such as clutch kicking/weight shifting/feint are not discussed in the film,and I was surprised that only a warning about the driving/stunts being performed by trained individuals and should not be attempted anywhere was only given at the end and not before the start,as like almost any film it appears to be 'that easy' when clearly it isnt in reality
I cant wait, my drift cars value quadruples, AND i get to see kids handbraking their Corsas into walls round every corner, and other kids in BMWs smashing their cars up on every roundabout as they think its easy...

Happy days
Old 16-06-2006, 10:01 AM
COMEDY DAN
No1 Blower.

Sunday night for me.

And i bet all the nova 1.1s will be revving up like idiots afterwards and tring to break the land speed record along the prom.....
Old 16-06-2006, 10:01 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
ethier way it gives the desired effect and leaves us satisfied and also a guide to practice later on the way home!!
Not such a good guide if they do a whole spiral upramp at 90 degrees on a sledge and it isnt possible in real life to do the same, wonder how many metros will be written off trying to copy it
Old 16-06-2006, 10:02 AM
AKJ-Dan
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
lol reminds me when i went to see the first one and all the chav racers went off speeding
Old 16-06-2006, 10:07 AM
AlexD
Post Miester !

Going to go, one night next week

Should be good for a laff..
Old 16-06-2006, 10:10 AM
Urban Legend

i personally had my saff backwards on a round about after tryin to be the general lee after dukes off hazzard! my ex also ended up with a mcflurry all in her lap. she wasn't happy for some reason?? ungrateful biatch
Old 16-06-2006, 10:10 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Thats the thing I like about drifting tho, no matter how much money you throw at a car, you WONT be able to drift well unless you got the skills, skills thats 99% of the population dont have, even people who are famous for going sideways, as Tiff Needell proved at 1st round of D1GB.

So people can jump on the bandwagon, but they wont get anywhere, barring into a wall, or just talking a good drift at croozes or on the internet, but being wank in reality.

For example, Jeek on here (who CAN drift properly, and well) could probably easily beat me (and id expect I can drift better than 90% people on here) in his fucked old Sierra even if I was in a full on championship winning D1GP car.
Old 16-06-2006, 10:14 AM
BlueSmoke

Good point Steve-o, but where do we unskilled folk go to learn the ropes? I'd love to learn some stuff and do a bit of amateur drift racing, just for the thrill of driving fast, and going sideways with other cars

Would get totally hammered of course, but it would still be fun.
Old 16-06-2006, 10:15 AM
Urban Legend

how do u ever get good at drifting tho unless u have a reasonably high powered rear wheel drive car with loads of empty space?

all my mcdonalds have put lamposts up
Old 16-06-2006, 10:23 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by DogSmoke
amateur drift racing

No such thing as Drift Racing, thats just american F+F speak

Regarding where you learn, ive probably posted details about 1000 times on here, but DriftUK and others do Driftschools at Silverstone and other places where they spend a day teaching you the basics, and if you got your own car there are countless practice days and so on.

IMO you wont ever get good enough by just doing a practice day once every few weeks tho, might not be moral, but some sly streeto is the only way... possibly

And you DONT need power
Jeek has a standard engined 1.8 or 2litre (i forget) Sierra!
There a million things in drifting more important than Power, power is just like a crutch.
How will power help you initiate the drift before the corner has even started? How will it help you transition from a left hand corner to a right hand one?
It wont, you dont need power to learn to drift, and if you can drift a low powered car, you will be awesome with one with power. But if your ok with one with power, youl be SHIT with one without it (trust me, ive tried ).
Old 16-06-2006, 10:27 AM
Anonymous
Banned

It wont, you dont need power to learn to drift, and if you can drift a low powered car, you will be awesome with one with power. But if your ok with one with power, youl be SHIT with one without it (trust me, ive tried ).
Yep, thats me and phil2400 off here you are talking about.

He can drift better in a car wih almost no power than i can in one with 300bhp.

And TBH i think that if (like me) you learn in a fairly high powered car there are certain finer points of control that you will never learn as well as someone who can drift with 80bhp just cause they get it EXACTLY right.
Old 16-06-2006, 10:37 AM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Oh no Paul Walker

Think me and Dave will go see it at some point
Old 16-06-2006, 10:38 AM
BlueSmoke

amateur drift racing

Regarding where you learn, ive probably posted details about 1000 times on here, but DriftUK and others do Driftschools at Silverstone and other places where they spend a day teaching you the basics, and if you got your own car there are countless practice days and so on.

IMO you wont ever get good enough by just doing a practice day once every few weeks tho, might not be moral, but some sly streeto is the only way... possibly

And you DONT need power
There a million things in drifting more important than Power, power is just like a crutch.
How will power help you initiate the drift before the corner has even started? How will it help you transition from a left hand corner to a right hand one?
Well how the hell am I supposed to know?

I'm not Mr Japanese Culture like you are! And yes, I'm aware they've been doing this stuff over there for 40 years and that it's not "a new style of racing" as the ad says!

Silverstone is a logn way from Leeds though

The 325 would probably be good enough for now I would have though, considering the time I already nearly killed myself in the wet

How does left foot braking come into play with initiating a drift etc.?
Old 16-06-2006, 10:41 AM
BlueSmoke

Chip, we've been through this before.... all you need is "COMMITMENT"!
Old 16-06-2006, 10:43 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Yup, i mean, look at when you see cossies sideways.

99.99% of the time power oversteer round a single corner or roundabout.
To initiate a drift with power over you have to be already on the corner (or more often than not, halfway round).

Thats not drifting.

If you amazing at power oversteer (ie Tiff Needell) you still will be utter shit at drifting, as power over aint gonna make you able to initiate the drift while on the straight before the corner, and wont help your transition between corners.

Thats all down to steering, brakes, handbrake, momentum, etc etc, which is what you will learn in a low powered car.

IMO, the minute you can initiate a drift before the corner, and then transition between 2 corners, say come up to a large roundabout at 50ish, get it sideways on the straight 30m before the corner, drift half of the roundabout and exit it on a left hand bend, all in one fluid drift, then you can drift.
Thats summat im 100% Jeek could do in his 1.8 Sierra, and is pretty basic really, only 50mph and 30m before the corner, so having power wont help you there really.

(BTW, i cant do that yet really...)
Old 16-06-2006, 10:44 AM
89xr2
Brap!

amateur drift racing

And you DONT need power
Well how the hell am I supposed to know?

I'm not Mr Japanese Culture like you are! And yes, I'm aware they've been doing this stuff over there for 40 years and that it's not "a new style of racing" as the ad says!

Silverstone is a logn way from Leeds though

The 325 would probably be good enough for now I would have though, considering the time I already nearly killed myself in the wet

You brake with your left foot and come griding to a noisy skidding halt
Old 16-06-2006, 10:45 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Jay, a 325 like yours has more than enough power in the right hands, but welding the diff up would be a good way forwards (or more accurately, a way sideways)

without a slipper or a locked diff i dont know ANYONE who can hold a good drift, but maybe stavros can say otherwise?
Old 16-06-2006, 10:46 AM
MWF
PassionFord Post Troll

There's no true way of initiating a drift, you just have to go with whatever your style is. Most people either:

Handbrake (aka e-brake): lift the handbrake to put the car sideways coming up to the bend. Or altering the brake balance so the same effect is achieved.
Fient Drift: Unbalancing a car that's balanced so the back end brakes free.
Clutch Kicking: Pressing the clutch so the load balance changes
Kerb Dirt: Purposely using the kerbing/grass/dirt on the entry to a bend to slide the car

And the ultimate:

Chav drift: Slamming the accelerator mid bend and frantically paddling back and forth on the steering wheel and bouncing off the kerbs in a messy fish tailing powerslide and thus nothing to do with drifting.

You can left foot brake during a drift but that's getting highly skilled, just being able to steer effectively can take ages to learn.
Old 16-06-2006, 10:51 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

You can use leftfoot braking, or handbrake, or clutch kicking, or voilently changing down a gear, etc etc etc to unsettle the balance of the car to help initiate a drift.
Totally depends on the car and the situation.
Old 16-06-2006, 10:51 AM
Anonymous
Banned

The steering is the bit that people seem to forget about

I was at a trackday at llandow and there was a fella there in a purple sierra with a pinto and a welded diff.

He was AWESOME, perfectly placed all the way through the bus-stop bends, transition wondefully from one to the next.

When you looked at the ront wheels, they were SO perfectly correct in where they pointed, to smoothly take the front round as the back slid around behind it.

Its amazing how difficult it is to keep your front wheels point in exactly the right direction as the car moves, adjusting it the correct amount as the back comes round so the whole time they stay pointing where you want to exit the bend.

Its when people get that wrong (like i do, although not as badly anymore as i used to) that they end up fishtailing all over the place.
Old 16-06-2006, 10:52 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by MWF
Chav drift: Slamming the accelerator mid bend and frantically paddling back and forth on the steering wheel and bouncing off the kerbs in a messy fish tailing powerslide and thus nothing to do with drifting.
What you talking about, thats NOT Chav drift, thats Saff Cossie drift

Oh sorry, my bad, same thing
Old 16-06-2006, 11:00 AM
MWF
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by chip-3door
Its amazing how difficult it is to keep your front wheels point in exactly the right direction as the car moves, adjusting it the correct amount as the back comes round so the whole time they stay pointing where you want to exit the bend.
I find it hard enough to actually paddle that steering wheel fast enough to even begin getting the wheels in the right place. And then remembering where they are pointing is another thing.

Mind you trying to do it in a Volvo which is about 20 turns lock to lock was probably not making my life any easier. That said I did pull off an utter quality drift down the exit of a roundabout once. Only problem was I was actually intending to carry on round it.
Old 16-06-2006, 11:05 AM
MWF
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by MWF
What you talking about, thats NOT Chav drift, thats Saff Cossie drift

Oh sorry, my bad, same thing

I think a Saff Cossie drift is usually anything that includes opposite lock ie:

"OMGZ!!!11!11! I came round that bend TOTALLY SIDEWAYS. I am king of teh skidz!!!11!11!"

translated

"I had to apply opposite lock for the first time in my life and totally shat myself."
Old 16-06-2006, 11:05 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by MWF

Really interesting thread guys
Old 16-06-2006, 11:08 AM
BlueSmoke

I couldn't imagine pulling the handbrake on at speed! I just can't comprehend being able to take it back off again, work the pedals correctly AND steer the car lol

I guess that's where the highly skilled comes in....
Old 16-06-2006, 11:09 AM
MichaelG
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Well if the trailer is anything to go by, then it has Paul Walker from the first two in the third.....

Quick Reply: Fast and the Furious - Tokyo Drift.