General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

So what car is this review about ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 11:47 AM
soulweavers
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So what car is this review about ?

It had been a long hard day. As I reached my car I heard a colleague say : 'You'll enjoy your drive home in that.' He was absolutely right — for this was no ordinary car. This was a 4x4 and I was in for a real treat.

There were other telltale signs too — the deep, colour-coded bumpers and door handles, tailgate spoiler, large, low-profile tyres.

This car is one of a line of high-performance vehicles built using knowledge gained through competition experience. It was in September '91 that this car first went on sale but the 4x4 version wasn't available until August 1994.

The exterior certainly looks more sporty than other models but the inside is pretty snazzy too. Leather-covered steering wheel, leather gear shift gaiter with red lettering on the gear knob, plus red stripes on the instrument panel all add to the sporty image.

But the sheer thrill of this car is in its performance. As you'd expect, this 2.0 litre 16v is swift, offering a potential top speed of 129mph and the 0-60 dash in 8.6 seconds. But it's not just the smooth, superb acceleration which brings pleasure — it's also the excellent handling, roadholding and manoeuvrability of this three-door hatch.

In fact, I derived enormous pleasure at low speeds — reversing, turning and wending my way through crowded traffic. This car could turn on a sixpence, assisted by power steering which is perfectly weighted, never feeling heavy or vague.

Four-wheel drive, has added to the surefootedness and even on damp roads you feel safe at all times. The car just clings to the surface, whatever the conditions. Four-wheel disc brakes with ABS bring the car to an instant halt when required.

Like all other models in this range there's plenty of room for five adults to travel comfortably. And there's plenty of space to store bits and pieces, with a coin tray, glovebox, pockets on the backs of the front seats and a cassette storage compartment. Boot space is adequate and the luggage carrying capability can be increased by the 60/40 split rear seat.

A driver's airbag, electric windows and door mirrors are standard but the sun roof operates manually. A passenger airbag is optional. In-car entertainment is provided by a stereo radio/cassette with four speakers and anti-theft coding.

Security is well thought out too, with an engine immobiliser, an anti-theft alarm with double locking and strengthened and shielded door locks. For such a sporty car fuel consumption is reasonably good, and I averaged over 33mpg.

Though quite a bit more money than an average model, this 4x4 is worth every penny, not just for the sheer pleasure it brings to driving but for the extra safety it provides.

==================================

The above is a car magazine review and all I have done is take out the make and model, so my question is: What make and model is the review about ?.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:54 AM
Adam Ash
PassionFord Post Whore!!

rs2000 4x4 ?
Old 09-08-2004, 11:55 AM
mattysxguy
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

rs2000
Old 09-08-2004, 03:04 PM
Paddy