General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Had to laugh! my FRS vs. M3.

Search this Thread

Old 30-05-2006, 07:37 PM
petermintrst
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'd prefer an xr2 personally
Old 30-05-2006, 08:04 PM
bretts3dr

i no this is a fod web- site
but if someone offered you an 20k m3 or a £300 xr2 you would take the xr2 ye
eeerrrrrrrrrrr i must be strange then lol
Old 30-05-2006, 08:11 PM
EIL132
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Oranoco
In one breath the M3 is a complete legend and unbeatable by any poxy XR and then you say it couldn't pull you out of bed Make your mind up fella.

http://media.putfile.com/saxo_vs_m3
I know that Saxo, supercharged. Does Crail a lot
Old 30-05-2006, 08:14 PM
petermintrst

Originally Posted by bretts3dr
i no this is a fod web- site
but if someone offered you an 20k m3 or a £300 xr2 you would take the xr2 ye
eeerrrrrrrrrrr i must be strange then lol
a 300 quid xr2 would be a shed, i'd want a minty mint one.

if i was one or the other i'd take the bmw, then sell it. but if i was offered an m3 or an immaculate (as new) standard xr2 and was told i had to keep it and live with it and couldnt sell it, i'd take the fiesta.

nope, your not the strange one
Old 30-05-2006, 08:20 PM
bretts3dr

i give up
Old 30-05-2006, 08:21 PM
petermintrst

i give up quickly when trying to tell people they shouldnt have different opinions to me
Old 30-05-2006, 08:23 PM
bretts3dr

i can see that
Old 31-05-2006, 08:03 AM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

m8 if you think you can keep up with an m3 in a 115bhp fiesta you gotta stop taking drugs i've got an e36 m3 as well as my 395bhp cossie and although the cossie wipes the floor with there arent many cars that will stay with it, unless they are heavily modified, especially at high speeds just ask my m8 who's got a wr1 scooby and he was doing 160mph the other week and i came past him
Originally Posted by xr-Stu
Originally Posted by Mr Brannen

I would happily race you for log books on that one fella, even though my car is probably worth about 6 times what yours is, dont dare put XR`s in the same bracket as M3 `s, fuck me it is getting better one here every week, last week with the RST v M3 was bad enough but an XR this week fook off
i never said i was as quick as the m3 you muppet! i said i JUST managed to hang on - down a short section of dual carrageway, then round a roundabout (Where i caught, and undertook him) and then on another section of dual carrageway. by the end of it we'd covered about 1/2 a mile and hed gained 2 or 3 car lengths on me from the start....(i rinsed him round the roundabout but he made it back on the straight)

im not fucking stupid i know in a straight line drag it wouldve left me, i just meant that i was suprised he didnt leave me for dust and that i managed to keep with it as i did through the roundabout and the short straights.
for the 2nd time, i never said it was equal, or i was as fast as it. the only reason he didnt totally piss on me was because there was a roundabout and i obviously had more bollocks than him + xr2s with 1/2 decent suspension are like road going go-karts. what ive been saying is im suprised it didnt totally rinse me in spectacular fasion.

mr brannen, you can take the piss out of my shonky old fiesta all you want but im serious about racing you if youre so sure of your car, perhaps not for 'slips' as we dont live in the world of fast and the furious (although youd think it sometimes) but im deadly serious about having a go if you are.

just for fun, lets have a look at the maths.

M3 = 280bhp/1500kg = 186bhp@flywheel/ton

xr2 (1.8 zetec + 100bhp of nitrous) = 200bhp(minimum)/800kgs(maximum) = 250bhp@flywheel/ton

and the figures ive quoted for mine are swayed well towards the pesimistic side. it weighed 840kgs in full road trim before i stripped it and produces 120-130bhp off gas, been told itll make more than the 100bhp itll be jetted for on the gas aswell....so should be closer to 300bhp@flywheel/ton in reality.

like i said, im upfor it if you are. infact, im well upfor racing for 'slips' after doing that maths aswell.
Old 31-05-2006, 08:42 AM
ESCYSCOTT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

this thread is just getting laughable now

Only people who hate M3's are the people who don't respect the whole car as a package, out of the box un-modified and total value for money when a few years old. As for saxo's and XR2's lashing them, well tough shite, who cares as its not all about straight line point and shoot, its about the enjoyment of the drive and you cant even compare driving an E46 M3 to a stripped out bean tin XR2 or a torque steering supercharged chav mobile like that saxo

Old 31-05-2006, 11:07 AM
petermintrst

just after i first bought my xr2, it was running about 110bhp, was ploding at about 65 on the M4 and a load of chavs in a mk5 xr3i came past and sat next to me looking at the car, i looked over and they all waved and started pulling off, so i took chase, flashed them at about 100...my mum waved at them as we cruised past

mk2 xr2 + headwork, cam and carb = £700
full tank of fuel = £40
look on their faces as my mum waves 'bye bye' at 110+mph = priceless

also, the the E36 M3s arnt that quick either, in the xr2 with that spec ^^ plus a blue printed 1640 bottom end, i managed to juuuust hang onto one on a section dual carrageway in weston with a roundabout in the middle, which considering the xr2 cant have been running much over 115bhp at the time, with full road trim..... wasnt that quick.
so here its running 115bhp.....
Old 31-05-2006, 11:09 AM
petermintrst

m8 if you think you can keep up with an m3 in a 115bhp fiesta you gotta stop taking drugs i've got an e36 m3 as well as my 395bhp cossie and although the cossie wipes the floor with there arent many cars that will stay with it, unless they are heavily modified, especially at high speeds just ask my m8 who's got a wr1 scooby and he was doing 160mph the other week and i came past him

I would happily race you for log books on that one fella, even though my car is probably worth about 6 times what yours is, dont dare put XR`s in the same bracket as M3 `s, fuck me it is getting better one here every week, last week with the RST v M3 was bad enough but an XR this week fook off
i never said i was as quick as the m3 you muppet! i said i JUST managed to hang on - down a short section of dual carrageway, then round a roundabout (Where i caught, and undertook him) and then on another section of dual carrageway. by the end of it we'd covered about 1/2 a mile and hed gained 2 or 3 car lengths on me from the start....(i rinsed him round the roundabout but he made it back on the straight)

im not fucking stupid i know in a straight line drag it wouldve left me, i just meant that i was suprised he didnt leave me for dust and that i managed to keep with it as i did through the roundabout and the short straights.
for the 2nd time, i never said it was equal, or i was as fast as it. the only reason he didnt totally piss on me was because there was a roundabout and i obviously had more bollocks than him + xr2s with 1/2 decent suspension are like road going go-karts. what ive been saying is im suprised it didnt totally rinse me in spectacular fasion.

mr brannen, you can take the piss out of my shonky old fiesta all you want but im serious about racing you if youre so sure of your car, perhaps not for 'slips' as we dont live in the world of fast and the furious (although youd think it sometimes) but im deadly serious about having a go if you are.

xr2 (1.8 zetec + 100bhp of nitrous) = 200bhp(minimum)/800kgs(maximum) = 250bhp@flywheel/ton

and the figures ive quoted for mine are swayed well towards the pesimistic side. it weighed 840kgs in full road trim before i stripped it and produces 120-130bhp off gas, been told itll make more than the 100bhp itll be jetted for on the gas aswell....so should be closer to 300bhp@flywheel/ton in reality.

like i said, im upfor it if you are. infact, im well upfor racing for 'slips' after doing that maths aswell.
and here its running 120-130bhp without gas & 200bhp ish with gas.
Old 31-05-2006, 11:15 AM
_DAN_
Yoon

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
LOL at the M3 owners . I didn't realise E46 M3s were THAT slow . My stage 1 Sapphire used to do 13.4s quarters - thats with me driving, not some professional driver told to give it everything to get a manufacturer's time .

E46 weight:
1549kg - Power 338bhp - power to weight = 218bhp per tonne. Torque: 269lb ft - torque to weight = 173lb ft per tonne.

Stage 1 2wd Cossie
1250kg - Power 270bhp - power to weight = 216bhp per tonne. Torque: 260ish - torque to weight = 208lb ft per tonne.

A stage 1 is equal in everything but kudos .

Given that a FRS is equal in weight and power if blue-finned to the above, I rest my case and have no problem believing plynch .
Good way of doing things Mike

Just read this GIVE ME BACK MY TEN MINUTES!
Old 31-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Anonymous
Banned

It would be good if all this macho, my dicks bigger than yours talk was channelled into getting a decent Ford team to TOTB instead of making all these mainly bullshit claims. If you have a really fast car you cant race on the road END OF, so by all this nonsence you proving just how slow your motors are, best stop now.
Have done many miles in a E30 M3EVO & its not that fast, but in all other departments it leaves any RS Ford groveling in its brilliance. Drive one & then all you TONKA toy drivers may get the picture.
Rod
Old 31-05-2006, 12:11 PM
petermintrst

i know the limits of my rst. it excels in turning heads & being fun to drive!
Old 31-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Mr Brannen
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Oops looks like you contradicted yaself there son , well is it 115bhp or 120-130, make ya mind up kidda .
Also I have just seen this and laughed, where you said you past him and your MAM waved at him as you went past , you sad cunt , going around with your old bess in the passenger seat racing folk.
Do me a favour mate and fuck of and stop leaving comments begging me to reply.
On a final note my M3 is getting chipped shortly if that counts, I mean surely that spells more power, more torque and a higher top end , Christ at this rate I might even have enough to beat a mighty XR2
Old 31-05-2006, 01:58 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Oh Christ What happens when the car runs out of NOS then? How long would a 100 shot last if an 11lb bottle was used?
Old 31-05-2006, 02:31 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by tonyk
Oh Christ What happens when the car runs out of NOS then? How long would a 100 shot last if an 11lb bottle was used?
approx BSNC is about 1lb per min per 25bhp jetted amount

So 2 mins of full throttle roughly.

Be a really interesting race to see between the M3 and Stu's XR-two, i think people have taken him WAY out of context on this thread though, he isnt under any delusions about his car.

For comparison purposes, i used the same nitrous kit (literally the same one, its one of my old ones we are using on his car) on a 2.0 16v nova in limphome mode in full race trim on my nova at the pod:

http://nitrous-direct.co.uk/misc/chip13-3.mpg

Thats a rather "M3 beating" time of 13.3@109.8mph on that video.
That was with a slipping clutch though and as i said, engine was losing a bit of power as it was in limphome mode at the time.

Those people dismissing the potential of nitrous'd hatches probably havent ever tried one?

Stu wouldnt claim is "as much of a car" as an M3, but claiming its in the same ballpark up the quarter is fair game.
Old 31-05-2006, 02:37 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

DOnt get me wrong, I see where he is coming from but I think a car should only be quoted on its power without NOS. Stu better hope for less than 2 minute race then
Old 31-05-2006, 02:39 PM
Anonymous
Banned

DOnt get me wrong, I see where he is coming from but I think a car should only be quoted on its power without NOS. Stu better hope for less than 2 minute race then
Unforunately the timing gear at the pod isnt sophisticated enough to knock MPH off the terminal and add time onto the quarter to cancel out any power from NOS or Turbos or other forms of cheating, so it only really make sense to quote the total amount when you are talking about drag racing IMHO

I cant think of many places you would race and it would involve more than 2 mins of full throttle, im not even sure a lap of the ring involves much more than that, lol.
Old 31-05-2006, 02:49 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I think turbo and supercharging is fine as these will always work. To better explain myself, a 300bhp car with turbo will always be a 300bhp a 250bhp car with a 50shot of Nitrous will only be approx a 300bhp car for 2 minutes etc.., so I think it should be classed as 250bhp+ nitrous.

Im not knocking the performance gains it gives or anything, but do you see what I mean. As you said 1 lap of the Ring aint gonna use full throttle for 2 minutes but 3 laps would exhaust it and suddenly its only 120bhp(using stus car as example)
Old 31-05-2006, 03:01 PM
Anonymous
Banned

I dont think anyone using nitrous would say otherwise, but nitrous is very much like petrol, if you are having a race, you make sure you have enough on board for the duration of the race.

Stu's car is only half a horsepower even with his 6'9" frame pushing it with no petrol, but that doesnt mean i think he should quote an "off petrol" figure.

Sorry if that sounds like im taking the piss, but first rule of racing is to have the needed amount of fuel/clutch lining/tyre tread/nitrous/etc that you need to finnish the race.
Old 31-05-2006, 03:03 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Chip I mean in general, if the car is used more on the road than track. If its only used on the road then my point is very valid.
Old 31-05-2006, 03:12 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Chip I mean in general, if the car is used more on the road than track. If its only used on the road then my point is very valid.

I dont really see how?

When i used to have that red nova for example, i used to have a bottle in the car all the time anyway, so if i wanted to race something, i had the gas there ready, then if i used any i topped it up when i got home again.

Surely thats what anyone with nitrous does pretty much?
Old 31-05-2006, 03:16 PM
Mr Brannen
PassionFord Post Whore!!

https://passionford.com/forum/viewto...893994#2893994

Have a look at this Stuey
Old 31-05-2006, 04:05 PM
bretts3dr

how come the race conditions have to be the best situation for the xr2?
why could'nt it be say over a mile lol
and a standard m3 will do a 13.6 quarter mile
Old 31-05-2006, 04:08 PM
Anonymous
Banned

how come the race conditions have to be the best situation for the xr2?
why could'nt it be say over a mile lol
and a standard m3 will do a 13.6 quarter mile

Im not sure that the mile long race would be the advantage that you think it is.

Robs astra for example, is only a second quicker up the quarter than an M3, but over a mile would completely murder one.
Old 31-05-2006, 04:09 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

In one breath the M3 is a complete legend and unbeatable by any poxy XR and then you say it couldn't pull you out of bed Make your mind up fella.

Two different cars Oranoco you twat, u know what I meant , I think youre just trying to provoke peoples reactions now so fook of
I still have the same stance on this as I did when it started, I can understand the Focus RS and where Plynchy is coming from, but RST and XR2`s can just piss off cause they are simply not quick enough .
Right so now you accept the Focus RS could be a match for an M3, but RST's are so beneath you. BMW drivers like you are my fave as their faces in disbeleif when an old FWD EScort is snapping away at their heals. Keep thinking your happy thoughts mate one day you are quite likely to get the surprise of your life and I hope it's a rusty old Ford that gives it to you.
Old 31-05-2006, 04:19 PM
bretts3dr

but then there would be an m3 thats had as much money as yours spent
on it and it would at you as it went by
and you ppl are all comparing a highly tuned rst ,xr2 ect
against a standard m3 but if it has had say 5k-10k spent on it then wot?
a low boost super charger thats bolted on an m3 will give it nearly 100bhp
extra and they only cost 3k????????
Old 31-05-2006, 04:24 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

The reason for many comparisons to the M3 is simply that the M3 is so damn quick. Nobody is saying the cars are anything less. It just seems that some owners seem to feel they are completely invincible because of their badge. I've raced stuff and one and lost on many occasions. I couldn't care what it is a quick car is a quick car and gets my respect regardless.
Old 31-05-2006, 04:25 PM
Anonymous
Banned

I dont think anyone in this thread would argue otherwise, its blatantly obvious that standard for standard or both with equivalent mods that the M3 would win.
Old 31-05-2006, 04:56 PM
digita1dragon
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by petermintrst
mk2 xr2 + headwork, cam and carb
115bhp at the time

Just to make it easier for your reading and addition skills Ive grouped together and highlighted the relevent information
Old 31-05-2006, 05:16 PM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Oops looks like you contradicted yaself there son , well is it 115bhp or 120-130, make ya mind up kidda .
if youd actually read my replys through proper rather than skimming through trying to pick out somthign to through back at me, youd have read i said when i raced the M3 with 115bhp i was running a tuned 1.6 8v cvh, im now running a 1.8 16v zetec. get your glasses out next time old man.

Also I have just seen this and laughed, where you said you past him and your MAM waved at him as you went past , you sad cunt , going around with your old bess in the passenger seat racing folk.
at the time i was driving down to surrey to take my mum to visit my gran who was in hospital with cancer, pardon me for being a sad cunt

Do me a favour mate and fuck of and stop leaving comments begging me to reply.
On a final note my M3 is getting chipped shortly if that counts, I mean surely that spells more power, more torque and a higher top end , Christ at this rate I might even have enough to beat a mighty XR2
whens this gonna be? before the summer up ill be running a 2.0 zetec with headwork, throttle bodies and aftermarket management, should be making 170-180bhp quite easily, so if you wanna reschedule a race for when were both running more power, thats fine with me!

i think people need to go back and read through whats been said in this thread. all ive said about M3s is that i was suprised how not really that quick the one i raced was....ive never said anything about them not being awesome cars, because thatd be silly, they are awesome cars. if the arguements changed from "my cars faster than your car" to "my cars better than your car" i might aswell leave now. if its still about which would be quicker in a straight line in racing conditions...

Originally Posted by MADRod
It would be good if all this macho, my dicks bigger than yours talk was channelled into getting a decent Ford team to TOTB instead of making all these mainly bullshit claims.
rod, i would try and qualify for the team if i could get hold of a 2.0 bottom end and a decent paddle clutch intime for the event. i probably wouldnt stand a chance against the big power, big budget guys, but to be fair my car owes me about the same as some of you fellas engine management systems alone, so what can i expect?
Old 31-05-2006, 05:59 PM
XR-RS

i dont really see the need to slag off other peoples cars yeah xr2's are old, most are rusty and theyre cheap, but thats exactly the point of them.....a fun fast car that costs very little to build and is such a laugh when youre keeping up with supposedly far superior cars.

Thats the whole idea of being a car enthusiast to me, having a clean looking, fun fast car.....not a status symbol.

if an e36 m3 is your status symbol its not much to shout about on the scale of things, its taken over where the saph cosworth left off as the chosen marque of bouncers/doormen now the price has come down.

No denying though theyre awesome cars and i think they look class.

I had a mate that had a 911 Carrera 4 i think it was, that was summat to brag about.

I also know for a fact that an m3 is faster than my xr2, i was behind one the other night and then quickly got a lot further behind it but he gave a thumbs up at the end of the road not a look down his nose, Respect.
Old 31-05-2006, 06:04 PM
digita1dragon

Stu has overlooked the fact that you can put M3 kit on a normal E36 tho, keep quiet, its funny
Old 31-05-2006, 06:06 PM
XR-RS

you reckon the big ginger peter crouch was racing a 1.6 ?

now that would be funny
Old 31-05-2006, 06:08 PM
digita1dragon

SHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Old 31-05-2006, 06:40 PM
notSteveS2

Two different cars Oranoco you twat, u know what I meant , I think youre just trying to provoke peoples reactions now so fook of
I still have the same stance on this as I did when it started, I can understand the Focus RS and where Plynchy is coming from, but RST and XR2`s can just piss off cause they are simply not quick enough .
ill b careful how i put his so as to not upset those who skip thru posts then talk shit...

ive witnessed an RST keep up with then slowly pass an M3... race started bout 50mph... ended bout 120-130 on a carriageway...

rst was bout 250bhp with full trim...

M3's are a great car... full package etc... but shud not under estimate anycars... as wen u spend so much on a car like an M3 theres alot of pride at stake.

it was an E46... with the big diamond cut wheels etc
Old 31-05-2006, 08:24 PM
petermintrst

Originally Posted by digita1dragon
mk2 xr2 + headwork, cam and carb
115bhp at the time

Just to make it easier for your reading and addition skills Ive grouped together and highlighted the relevent information
apologies, i hope they are accepted
Old 31-05-2006, 08:35 PM
EIL132
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Bollox, tuned Vs tuned. Thread over

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...80CD42E83E.htm
Old 31-05-2006, 08:50 PM
petermintrst

fair do's that is mega quick, unless it was a 1.1 punto filming lol.

at end of day this is a ford site, so regardless or what is best the majority of people on here have opinions swaying towards ford being great.

i think my ford is great, love it to bits, but it isnt and never will be as quick as an m3 in the real world

Quick Reply: Had to laugh! my FRS vs. M3.