General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Advice on a situation

Search this Thread

Old 18-05-2006, 07:26 PM
Muzz
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on a situation

Right here we go.

About 3 months ago now i crashed into a Moped at a T-Junction, no more than about 2 miles an hour, I hadn't even come off the clutch completely. Anyway it was one of them moments where you look and the coast seemed clear, until i planted this little fucker into my bumper .

Pulled over into a bus lane, quickly put his moped into the back of my car and drove away from the scene as it was on quite a busy route. We decided in the car that it would just be sorted quicker if we didnt go through insurance. Went back to my Brothers garage and had a quick poke about and ripped a few plastic trims off, and fitted a new numberplate and the bike was perfectly fine to ride for the time being until i sourced the new parts. I then took him back to my mates house where I knew he had some bits and pieces knocking about from his old moped, found a Sports Exhaust, brand new so offered it to the guy as some sort of compensation. He took it, and we left it at that for then.

I managed to find the new parts and got them about 3 weeks after the incident. I rang the bloke who then took about a month to get back to me regarding when he would want them fitting. We agreed a day, and they were fitted on the agreed date. He was happy with the repair and commented that it was of a better quality than he was expecting. We then shook hands and he left quite content.

About 2 days later I get a phone call from him ranting down the phone that now his enigne cuts out at full throttle and that he was no longer happy with the repair as 2 bolts holding the number plate holder on had "fallen out". I said fine, bring it back and I will have a look at it but I am not going to guarantee a fix, especially as I never touched the engine. Anyway have a good look about and everything seems fine, although you can see where 2 bolts have been removed and the engine cover casing is now cracked (It definately wasn't before). I told him I wasn't willing to carry out and further repairs as we had agreed that the repairs had been carried out to a satisfactory state. He then started about how I said I was going to weld the engine cover casing where it had sheared a bolt off . I never said such a thing, and everything that was goig to be done was agreed in front of my mate.

He is now saying he wants to go through the insurance, but surely an insurance inspector would look at his bike and think "What the fuck is wrong?". I have included some pictures of the repair at the bottom for reference.

Another issue is that my insurance expired on the 5th of May and the car has been off the road since then, and my policy clearly states that any accidents must be reported within 48 hours of occuring for them to do anything about it. Surely nothing can be done by the insurance companies?

He also came round my house while I was not in and had my brother look at the bike again. When my brother said he wouldnt fix anything without me being there he got very aggresive towards both my brother and my mum, to a point where my brother had to grab hold of him to stop him from having a swipe.

The bike itself was in a pretty shit state all over when he bought it back, so im 80% sure he has stacked it again since i carried out the repairs.

I got a call this afternoon (Im not sure if it was his insurance company or what as I told them to call back as I was in a meeting at the time) with reference to the incident. They haven't called back yet but its going to wind me up all night as to what it might be about.

Basically I want to know what you guys think I should do? Has he got a case? There was NO witnesses to the accident, nobody stopped or anything. I even had my bumper repaired that week, so I could of been a complete bastard and stitched him by saying there was no accident, but I didnt and I kept my word.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

And the pictures of the bike in its current state:

Old 18-05-2006, 07:43 PM
nellyscossy
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

mmmmm...situation indeed
personaly id tell him to fook off and give him a slap!!!
but hey who am i

as for the insurance...gotta be careful you could be done for not reporting/leaving the scene of an accident
if he wanted to be a c**t he could probably find his own witnesses too

DENY IT ALL THE WAY

Old 18-05-2006, 07:44 PM
Muzz

Yeah but leaving the scene of the accident with the Moped and Driver in my car...
Old 18-05-2006, 07:47 PM
SPADGE
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nellyscossy
mmmmm...situation indeed
personaly id tell him to fook off and give him a slap!!!
but hey who am i
Same as that
Old 18-05-2006, 07:49 PM
mcgoo
Part of the Furniture

i would have thought you would only get done for leaving the scene if you hadn't got a conclusion that both sides were happy with, him getting in your car shows his willingness to your offer, shaking of hands is a verbal contract which stands up in court.

give him a dry slap and tell him to sue you if he wants!
Old 18-05-2006, 07:51 PM
shane

sounds a nightmare,tell the little fucker u sorted any damage u caused and any further damage isnt ur fault!if need be give him a slap,always works!

also tell him that due to the situation there is no chance of him getting any insurance payout and that any further action will come to no end,cus it could just be he's got it into his head he may get a new moped out of going through the insurance!
Old 18-05-2006, 07:53 PM
Muzz

I wasn't there, but knowing my brother it probably wasn't a 'grab' more like a kick in the knackers

Trending Topics

Old 18-05-2006, 07:55 PM
nellyscossy
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

oh no
forgot about him getting in you car too...

add KIDNAPING to the list........lol

Old 18-05-2006, 07:58 PM
SammySquirt
Virgin

Default MOPED

probably isnt insured himself.........i`d just tell him to p**s of.
know how you feel though. the bodyshop i work in gives a lifetime guarantee, peeps come back after years...."my cars not running properly" etc....i think you`ve done all you could do...but sometimes its better to go thru insurance......
Old 18-05-2006, 08:09 PM
Steve200+

'Yes this is Mr. Muzz ... Sorry, who? Never heard of him.'
Old 19-05-2006, 08:38 AM
Muzz

Got a call from his insurance company this morning that went pretty much like this:

Company: "Right Mr Murray, can we have your Address, Insurance Company contact details and the registration number of your vehicle"

Me: "No"

Company: "Why not?"

Me: "He has told you it has already been repaired, right?"

Company: "Erm, nope. Nothing has been said. Have you got proof of this?"

Yes: "I have pictures, plenty of them cheers"

Company: "Right, we will be in contact soon, bye."

PMSL
Old 19-05-2006, 09:06 AM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

lol ave it
Old 19-05-2006, 09:13 AM
Racey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by nellyscossy
oh no
forgot about him getting in you car too...

add KIDNAPING to the list........lol

sorry, just had to giggle at that.

Pmsl @ at you blatently saying they counldnt have your details
Old 19-05-2006, 09:37 AM
BlueSmoke
PassionFord's crazy fool!

If it was me personally I would tell his insurance company that I saw him come off, went to check he was ok, and offered to help him as he looked a bit distraught. You mentioned you had a few bits and bobs knocking about that you could probably sort it with and offered to do so as he mentioned to you that going through his insurance wasn't an option. You took him and his moped back to you garage, had a look at it, and fitted some bits for him. he was happy and went on his way.

Now he's come back with new damage and is trying to say you've done it. You will not accept any responsibility for this and dismiss his claims wholeheartedly.