General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply from ABD about that insurance SORN issue

Search this Thread

Old 15-04-2006, 06:00 PM
Snowy_Astra
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reply from ABD about that insurance SORN issue

Just got an E-mail back from the assosiaction of british drivers when i E-mailed them asking if they have done anything about this new insurance sorn proposal.

And i got this reply

Hi Lightside,

I have had the following reply from our webmaster:-

"We've always had an issue with SORN.

"Whilst the government claim it was to reduce criminal use of cars, everyone knows it's just another bit of petty bureaucracy and an excuse to fine people for doing nothing (literally). We want it scrapped entirely (Manifesto 10b).

"This chap is referring to is the plan to insist all cars are insured even if they are not being used on the road. Which is obviously an even more blatant excuse to fine people for nothing. As far as I know it is just a proposal at present, though I've copied this to the committee in case anyone knows better, in which case a PR (Press Release) might be in order.

"SORN is mentioned on 6 pages on the website".

I hope that this answers your query. The insurance issue is still at a "sounding out" stage, and we have an existing issue with SORN, which is on our website.

If you support our broad aims, you may like to join ABD (if you are not yet a member) - details are on the website. An increased membership adds further weight to our arguments!

I joined because I was fed up with every level of authority taking delight in making life more difficult for drivers. That has not yet changed.

Regards, Bruce Young
Old 15-04-2006, 06:36 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

i remember the same sort of fuss being bought up when the sorn thing was at the "consultation" stage

still pushed it through though

i'm currently awaiting my fine because i've got a whole day over the 15 day grace period in which i've got to sorn my sierra, i wonder which part of siberia they'll want to send me to ;(
Old 15-04-2006, 06:52 PM
Steve200+
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Don't know if this'll help anyone, *but* ... allegedly, you can claim that you posted any relevant documentation, and what results is just a lengthy argument. But usually no fine. Depending on circumstances.
Old 15-04-2006, 06:58 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

but i DID send them off and normally they send back a letter saying they've recived the letter you sent them
that hasn't happen this time and the tax ran out in feb

oh well, back to the subject at hand, how many peole would rather say they scrapped their cars than pay insurance?
or even "sell" them on to someone who didn't exist?

it's unworkable in reality, but i'm sure the brown and blair partnership will do something to make it even more screwed up than it could possibly be
Old 15-04-2006, 06:59 PM
RichardC

If you support our broad aims, you may like to join ABD (if you are not yet a member) - details are on the website. An increased membership adds further weight to our arguments!
can you post a link please, ta

Rich
Old 15-04-2006, 08:56 PM
Snowy_Astra
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by RichardC
can you post a link please, ta

Rich
http://www.abd.org.uk/
Old 15-04-2006, 09:24 PM
RichardC

very god site, thanks for that