General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

turbo oil return location on sump?????!!!????.........

Search this Thread

Old 22-04-2006, 10:08 PM
rsbill
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi mate i did turbo conversion on a 2.8 4x4 it was turbo technics and i was told to put it above oil level so i drilled and tapped in to the sump on the shalowest part of sump and it worked areat the oil was free to return without no resrtictions so if i was you would have put it above but hope it wworks mate.
Old 22-04-2006, 10:12 PM
Mark V8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by heeman10
Interesting one there Mark, and did you take that labelled up picture specially for us?

Martin - Slapped wrists
No mate, it was for a guy wanting to turbocharge his bike and shows the space limitations involved, the exhaust manifold is still unfinished in this pic. You can do all the maths you want but it works just fine the way it is

Mark
Old 23-04-2006, 08:52 AM
heeman10
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

So what this comes down to is...the turbo oil return fitting on the sump must be high enough for the natural level in the hose to be low enough not to interfere with the turbo oil drain, and not so low that oil surge interferes with the oil drain. That said, turbo bikes often have the turbo oil return right down on the same level as the bottom of the sump, and so truly PUMP the oil back into the sump rather than it draining back. What would people say are the drawbacks exactly of this? Increased oil pressure and increased drag on the engine via the oil pump?
Old 23-04-2006, 11:08 AM
scruffythefirst
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

hat said, turbo bikes often have the turbo oil return right down on the same level as the bottom of the sump, and so truly PUMP the oil back into the sump rather than it draining back. What would people say are the drawbacks exactly of this? Increased oil pressure and increased drag on the engine via the oil pump?
Not really, the oil in the turbo is at several bar of pressure when it enters the bearings and a lot less when it leaves the bearings, so as long as the oil can flow away (be it through air or through oil) it wont make much difference. The only time you'll get a problem is if the return path to the main body of oil in the sump is restricted creating a lack of pressure differential accross the turbo bearings, this will restrict flow through the bearings and possibly increase the pressure on the oil seals.
Old 23-04-2006, 11:25 AM
heeman10

lol that's been my point all along in this thread, maintaining the biggest pressure differential possible for the turbo bearings possible. Ho hum, I guess if it works happily, it works. If not...it can be changed.
Old 23-04-2006, 12:20 PM
nthorpey

It'll be fine where it is rich,its where mine was and works fine as long as the breathers good enough and you dont keep it at 8500 rpm too much
Old 23-04-2006, 07:32 PM
rich_frst
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by nthorpey
It'll be fine where it is rich,its where mine was and works fine as long as the breathers good enough and you dont keep it at 8500 rpm too much

didnt think it'd be long before you saw this post neck...

probably gonna leave it where it is, paul said something about having the angle on the pipe steep as it will help too, so i'm pretty confident it will work without problems occuring