General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Big power Performance Ford feature rst's...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 12:39 PM
Redeye Jedi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
Originally Posted by DanRSturbo
I think you can do it too m8

You are one of the few people that has been past 160mph in my car!! Infact, I can't think who else has?
I think i might have been, just....

I think i remember that time at silverstone with SOY aswell, im sure i was there!! Oh how things change!!
Old 09-04-2006, 12:43 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice sig Neil!!!
Old 09-04-2006, 12:48 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Christian and Beccy

Wreckon u'll do it mate
Old 09-04-2006, 01:26 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the problem arises with claimed big bhp cars and real big bhp cars. RW`s old car was a 150mph car with 195@wheels with homemade/low cost fabricated parts on it. Though I remember these big bhp 250bhp+ cars couldnt get near it.

What spec was RW`s car, from memory: 100,000 mile cvh, with big valve power engineering head and cam, homemade intercooler set up and a stg 3 turbo along with ava fuel mods. Reached 150mph as said above.

Compare it to some cars that have had Ł1000`s spent and yet only managed a few mph more. Where does all this money go and on what?
Old 09-04-2006, 01:28 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by tonyk
I think the problem arises with claimed big bhp cars and real big bhp cars. RW`s old car was a 150mph car with 195@wheels with homemade/low cost fabricated parts on it. Though I remember these big bhp 250bhp+ cars couldnt get near it.

What spec was RW`s car, from memory: 100,000 mile cvh, with big valve power engineering head and cam, homemade intercooler set up and a stg 3 turbo along with ava fuel mods. Reached 150mph as said above.

Compare it to some cars that have had Ł1000`s spent and yet only managed a few mph more. Where does all this money go and on what?
steves car is perfect exaple of what spending money on the CORRECT mods does..

most people spend fortunes on parts that dont work..

remeber how quick his car was...
i have been in a S2 that made almost 100bhp more on the AVA rollers..

scary cars
Old 09-04-2006, 01:31 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Exactly Euan, you only have to look at the pro alloy cooler, looks the business by all accounts, cost reflects this, however the GRS which is cheaper out performs it according to tests done by somebody on here. Think it may have been c&b with the tests.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:54 PM
Redeye Jedi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
Nice sig Neil!!!

P.S Did u get blown over yesterday??
Old 09-04-2006, 02:59 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Exactly Euan, you only have to look at the pro alloy cooler, looks the business by all accounts, cost reflects this, however the GRS which is cheaper out performs it according to tests done by somebody on here. Think it may have been c&b with the tests.
AFAIK steve researched and designed his charge cooler himself, and like you say his engine was old and was nothing really that fancy..

makes you wonder where alot of people with S2's are going wrong?

as there are only a few "genuinely" powerful ones that actually do the times, speeds etc
Old 09-04-2006, 03:27 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rapidcossie
AFAIK Steve researched and designed his charge cooler himself, and like you say his engine was old and was nothing really that fancy..

makes you wonder where alot of people with S2's are going wrong?

as there are only a few "genuinely" powerful ones that actually do the times, speeds etc
I think what it proves is that there are alot of 'bullshit figures' floating about.

Also, you could ask the same question about Cossie's regarding where they are going wrong. With how many 500+bhp Cossie's there are, there aren't many that have been into the 180mph bracket or into the 11's on the 1/4 mile.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:36 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

its cos most of them arent anywhere near 500 horse
Old 09-04-2006, 03:36 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Shame im going cossie now in my S2, As i always wanted a BIG spec cvh

I would love to go against some good spec cvh's though, with the same power

FWD vs RWD....
Old 10-04-2006, 09:43 AM
PF Dave
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Well, just quickly looking back through the last few years and the majority of big bhp RST's that have been in there... and we have timed them!?

Christian's, Tony's, Ollie's Tim's, Paul R's, Paul J's etc. So with the exception of perhaps Sunny's, the majority of recent big-power RST's PF, and in fact only PF have timed. (Other's might have stolen our times though )

Tom Scarlett had problems last time as he's mentioned and when we feature it again will be timed, as will a few other big power up and coming RST's.

If we don't time the big boys it's usually because something has broken or might not be quite right etc.

Unfortunately, deadlines don't always allows us to reschedule for another day, but at the same time we wouldn't expect any owner to go for a flat out run, knowing something might blow up or fall off, it's someone's pride and joy, and life for that matter, and we'd not want to risk either with our own cars, so wouldn't expect anyone else too so occassionally some that were meant to get timed, don't.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:12 AM
andyt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

a really good thread to read people

Mr C this year is yours mate 170+
Old 10-04-2006, 12:48 PM
DanS
PassionFord Post Troll

My opinion for what its worth is that not everyone is desperate to prove what their car can do down brunters. I would be really great to get a nice 1/4 time and top speed recorded but its not the be all and end all to me. Like wise with power figures, yeah it was great getting the 300 but the car was setup and mapped to be a good drive, not to produce massive power figure.

Again like others say, it does also come down to money and the fear factor of somthing going wrong. But can you really blame anyone for that?

Add the fact that these cars are so hard to get the power down (unless you go to town on the setup / tyres / wheels etc) and owners like me just haven't the experiance to do it, very few can!

My car has been built to suite my needs, look nice, do the odd track day, go fast and piss off as many BMW/Porche/Scoobie owners as possible lol. Fast times especially top speeds really do not interest me as its not what its been built for. Although it would be very interesting to let someone who can drive set some times

When Karl said to me it feels as strong as Tim & Ollies whilst mapping it last time around, who am I to argue?!
Old 10-04-2006, 01:10 PM
CarismaDave
PassionFord Regular

To be honest, as with a post I put up before on the subject of people lying about figures, I think people only want proof (times/topspeeds/graphs etc) when people are seen to be making up figures. If you have the proof, fair do's.

At the end of the day, as Dan said, some people do it for themselves not to prove how big their cock is to everyone else

Dave
Old 10-04-2006, 02:15 PM
S1

It seems to me that people put a lot of effort into creating a big power unit and forget all about getting the power down. As previously said James Bentley's S2 was a stunning car but had never been set up for launching. This seems to be the problem with the majority of the big-power RSt's. Look at the pic of all the cars at the PF Daddy Thrash from 2 years ago, Most of them were set up in normal trim so there was no hope of a decent launch. (admittedly some were there for the top speed attempts). Mine was the only one with the proper stance, arse up in the air to launch.

The car is nearing the end of a full rebuild so we will see what it does with a measly 270Bhp
Old 10-04-2006, 04:01 PM
gus
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

pfdave

would it be a idea to do something like track and race car mag, timed around a track?

this is something i would be more interested in rather than sprinting

as said its hard to get the power down in a fwd car
Old 10-04-2006, 06:01 PM
PF Dave
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Gus, without revealing too much... It would be more than an idea
Old 10-04-2006, 06:29 PM
turbotrev
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts

Again plenty of good opinions/views coming from everyone

I feel I must say again that none of this is aimed to be a dig at anyone just incase im misunderstood.

Im thinking alot of the hype does come from the bullshitters claiming how fast/powerful/quick some of the cars around are when really they aint and thats what gets me. People are right in saying not everyone needs to prove massive power figures and top speeds or sprint times etc and that they've built the car for whatever purpose they say which is cool cause at the end of the day its their car, its when its "bigged up" and has a rep to live up to and then never "proved" as it were which is what gets me...

I understand different people want different things from there cars which is good cause then you'd end up with lots of identical cars and owners!

As for my car it gets driven hard and thats what I like to do in it, thrash it! wether it be on the local A roads or the dragstrip. We all fit bigger turbos , get cars chipped, uprate cams, etc just cause it makes cars more powerful, faster and more fun to drive which in my opinion is what its about. 9 times out of 10 if modifying is done correctly then there should be minimal stuff to go wrong, so when say for example someone says my car has xxx ammout of power and does xxx mph top speed at low boost but on high boost does xxx and should do xxx etc this is where it gets silly. these people never run there cars on high boost for whaever reason so why bother having that option, again I guess this is where the billy bullshitters come in...

Cheers

Paul
Old 10-04-2006, 06:30 PM
moonstonematt
Regular Contributor

Dan Arrowsmiths car (RAT) is being built as we speak, has been totally stripped and has started again going bigger and better! Thats why nothings been seen of it lately. Its possibly the best RST iv seen
Old 10-04-2006, 06:55 PM
Micky
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turbotrev
Again plenty of good opinions/views coming from everyone

I feel I must say again that none of this is aimed to be a dig at anyone just incase im misunderstood.

Im thinking alot of the hype does come from the bullshitters claiming how fast/powerful/quick some of the cars around are when really they aint and thats what gets me. People are right in saying not everyone needs to prove massive power figures and top speeds or sprint times etc and that they've built the car for whatever purpose they say which is cool cause at the end of the day its their car, its when its "bigged up" and has a rep to live up to and then never "proved" as it were which is what gets me...

I understand different people want different things from there cars which is good cause then you'd end up with lots of identical cars and owners!

As for my car it gets driven hard and thats what I like to do in it, thrash it! wether it be on the local A roads or the dragstrip. We all fit bigger turbos , get cars chipped, uprate cams, etc just cause it makes cars more powerful, faster and more fun to drive which in my opinion is what its about. 9 times out of 10 if modifying is done correctly then there should be minimal stuff to go wrong, so when say for example someone says my car has xxx ammout of power and does xxx mph top speed at low boost but on high boost does xxx and should do xxx etc this is where it gets silly. these people never run there cars on high boost for whaever reason so why bother having that option, again I guess this is where the billy bullshitters come in...

Cheers

Paul
You have summed it up perfectly there mate!!! Regards Micky
Old 10-04-2006, 06:59 PM
stuart collins
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why dont we arrange a day down at pod and time all the high power rst then