General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Mototcycle Helmet...

Search this Thread

Old 17-03-2006, 07:27 AM
Kevin B
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mototcycle Helmet...

Seen an advert for new motorcycle helmets with the description below:

TUV and Auto Cycle Union approved
Scratch proof visor
Chin and forehead venting for that cool ride (LOL @ for that cool ride)
Chin guard included
ECE R.22.05 tested
Sizes: M, L, XL
Spare visor included.
£35.00

Just want a bash hat for passenger rides round track and want to know if the standards quoted actually mean anything, ie, is it worth getting or not (If I rode a bike on a regular basis I would be opting for something of a higher quality).

Any info greatly appreciated.

Kev
Old 17-03-2006, 07:44 AM
Mattie
Regular Contributor

Just make sure it has a Gold ACU Badge
Old 17-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

It's like anything mate, you get what you pay for.

How much do you value your head if the car rolls and you get thrown about like a rag doll ? Me, I'd rather spend £400 and go for something top notch, but you don't need to spend that if you don't want to. Just spend a bit more than £35................and buy something decent. IMO buying something like that would be like putting Hong Kong Phooey remoulds on a 500 brake car. You wouldn't do it.

And that's only a car so why play games with your head ?
Old 17-03-2006, 12:00 PM
Kevin B
PassionFord Regular

Thanks for the replies

Mr S1 - I appreciate what you are saying, thats why I asked whether the standards quoted on the ads actually meant anything - I havnt got the money to buy a more expensive one, and I would only use it probably twice a year, so when i saw this I thought if it was up to the job I would buy it, but if it wasnt I wouldnt...

Thanks again.
Old 17-03-2006, 12:44 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

there's conflicting arguments Kevin.

some say that having the extra weight on your head increases the chance of neck and spinal injuries, but others say it's a good thing to protect the head.

most of what you pay for in a helmet comes down to style, weight, noise and comfort, and it it meets the required safety standards and you will only wear it very occassionally it's not worth paying for those features.

personally, i don't know if the two approvals that are mentioned are worth anything. i'd rather see the gold ACU badge as mentioned, as that is basically the equivalent of the old kite mark AFAIK so you know it's ok for valuable british heads (whereas TUEV is for german square heads )
Old 17-03-2006, 02:45 PM
Kevin B
PassionFord Regular

Thanks once again - much appreciated

I will have a look for the Gold ACU badge - if it has one I will probably go for it, Im not that worried about name/style etc, just want to make sure it offers the required protection.