General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

clutch propblems on S2...someone PLEASE help?

Search this Thread

Old 16-03-2006, 12:35 PM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Default clutch propblems on S2...someone PLEASE help?

hi peeps, have tried everything i can think of to cure a problem with my clutch but to no avail...whats happening is when the car is cold the gears go in fine...however when the car heats up the car is very difficult to get into gear and refuses to go into reverse without switching the car off and then putting it into reverse then starting it again...

there is a bit of play in the pedal when touching the ratchet and what i seem to be a bit more than normal...and once in 5 blue moons lol the ratchet will catch right at the top removing the play and the gears go in perfectly...even slides straight into reverse...

so we thought it would be the rachet...we have now changed it 3 times and hasnt helped in the slightest....

so then we thought the cable might have stretched...so new cable...no help...

so then thought the pressure plate on the clutch might be weak...changed and still no fookin help!!!

what else could the problem be?

also another thing that we realised was if holding the clutch pedal down, and getting a bar to push the fork that the clutch cable feeds into back slightly more...the ratchet clicks once or twice and the clutch pedal is fine but there is no play whatsoever in the pedal (meant to have a bit of play initially?) and again the gears go in fine...but the biting point is very high...however, if you release the pedal all of a sudden and it springs back violently...the play is back where it was and the gears are fooked again...

what else is there to look at??

someone please help as i cant drive the car

bassboy
Old 16-03-2006, 01:53 PM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts

anyone?
Old 16-03-2006, 02:38 PM
IANS2RST
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

u need a new clutch as the plate is more than likely warped, remember to have the flywheel skimmed before u put a new 1 in
Old 16-03-2006, 02:51 PM
Bobby Singh
PassionFord Post Troll

Ian he's changed the clutch already - Ford item
Old 16-03-2006, 03:23 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

im getting same prob on mine, but mine is because i have ap organic racing clutch.

need to adjust summat, or get a mk5 pedal conversion

ttoooooonnnnnnnnnnyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Old 16-03-2006, 03:29 PM
andre_k
PassionFord Post Troll

whan you changed the pedal stuff, what did you change? quadrant? pawl? springs? the lot?

have you tried the mk5 adjustable pedal?

i think its a pedal prob TBH, all of this skimming flywheel shite, unless its obviously fooked or your going for big bhp, is rubbish. also, why would that cause the symptons described?
Old 16-03-2006, 03:46 PM
IANS2RST
PassionFord Post Troll

even if its a new clutch u can warp the clutch plate quite easily if u do not tighten the clutch cover bolts in sequence even just dropping it on the garage floor
have had this problem 3 times now, twice with a brand new clutch.
clutch is currently not fully disengaging, gets worse as warms up. flywheel skim & a new clutch properly fitted will sort it.
mk5 pedal conversion is not needed it will hide the problems for a while though.
deffo needed with an ap paddle or similar though