General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Air Filter techy stuff...

Search this Thread

Old 27-07-2004, 10:37 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Filter techy stuff...

ok heres one for you... imagine an airbox like on an ERST (with the airbox ontop) and imagine the intake bit (ie airbox->metering head join) is a flat squeare think (like panel filter shape)

what would be techincally superior for airflow... having the whole thing exposed to the elements (ie with the airfilter lying flat so air can rush over top of the panel instead of getting drawn in) or having a sealed airbox ontop with a small front intake (so all air that goes into airbox will be forced into engine, but only a small intake to suck air in thru...

or will it make so little difference that its not worth losing sleep over...

reason i ask is i ran mine without the airbox lid on earlier (still got the airfilter, just no lid to funnel the air into it) and it sounded SOOOO much sweter... how a v6 SHOULD sound and am just wonderin if its a really stupid idea having it how ive got it... (i'll take pics tomorrow) coz i dont wanna put the lid back on n have it sound boring again ive seen a few people run these with no airbox lid before, but still that dont necessarily mean its a good idea...

powerwise i couldnt notice feck all difference but then i didnt expect to...

so mike/scs? any ideas? you seem to be the airbox guru
Old 27-07-2004, 10:58 PM
PhilM
PassionBMW.com Member

Why not just have a cone? As its not really an air BOX without the lid is it?
Old 27-07-2004, 11:06 PM
EIL132
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Heat and noise are the benefits and down sides to induction. An airbox can flow far more than you think so is better, but less noisy.
Old 27-07-2004, 11:11 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

You can buy an induction kit that is just the filter in a cage and it clips on to the bottom of the metering unit. Sounds bloody awsome (especially on your V6), kills fuel efficiency. But you get the best airflow. Not sure if they do one for the XR4i thou.

Or you can just put in a performance filter into the box and leave as it to keep the noise down. Not as effective with the airflow as the full induction kit but an impreovement.

As above but drill the box for the induction noise and improved airflow.

But to be honest I wouldn't bother untill you have had work done to the head and need the de-restriced airflow. Otherwise you just kill your fuel efficiency for the smallest gain in power.
Old 28-07-2004, 08:25 AM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

cant fit a cone filter to an XR4i...

you can get adapter things which bolt to the metering head, but they are more restrrictive than the std airbox imho and only there for bling reasons (they pricey too!)

i was thinkin of drilling the airbox, but figure i might aswell just leave the lid off completely... lol

ps its got a piperX panel filter not a std airfilter, so it looks quite cool too