Garage / Workshop & Tools Section. Given working on your pride and joy is often one of the reasons cited for owning a Ford, post all your garage and tool collection pictures and questions in here.

Halfords Professional?

Old 03-07-2011, 09:45 AM
Paynee
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently stripped a car using basically nothing but a halfords professional 150 piece socket set, good selection of tools and good quality, although if you could get the older style set off ebay or somewhere i would recommend that as i think the range of bits are better (e/g the new sets have no hex sockets, all bi-hex and a few other differences) i would say that is a good starting point for a tool collection and buy other stuff as/when you need them unless you have a load of money to go out and buy tools in a one'er
Old 04-07-2011, 11:17 PM
Hobomassiv
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the £99 set, and ive yet to find a bolt i cannot undo on my car. Has star drive, torx, extensions, spanners, small bits etc.

Cant fault it for the price.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:15 PM
JamesR1
Anybody for a brew?

i reckon you'd need more than a Business card now tho as it so easy to get hold of them, Probs need a few receipts, and a letter headed letter stating your "in the trade". might be wrong mind.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:18 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Originally Posted by JamesR1
i reckon you'd need more than a Business card now tho as it so easy to get hold of them, Probs need a few receipts, and a letter headed letter stating your "in the trade". might be wrong mind.
My mate works for Delphi, he sits at a desk all day, they're not even motor trade, we make car parts at part of the site. Took a payslip in, went 'I work for Delphi, could I have a trade card' bloke looked at the front of the payslip, and went 'yep' and got him one lol.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:18 PM
daviddunlop83
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesR1
Any certificate if being a qualified mechanic will do

Or know someone who works there they don't photocopy or keep anything on record.

Just need a manager to log in to allow the computer to let them enter the details
Old 06-07-2011, 06:43 PM
bunnymofo

i got mien a few weeks ago and just took in driving licence for ID and my first set of certificates. and got one no bother. havnt used it yet tho.
Old 19-07-2011, 09:32 PM
JamesR1
Anybody for a brew?

Fair play might have to pop in and try get one haha. Bro-in-law has his own garage so should be difficult to get hold of any papers if needed haha.
Old 19-07-2011, 10:23 PM
Shilly
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by zetec-Sam
My mate works for Delphi, he sits at a desk all day, they're not even motor trade, we make car parts at part of the site. Took a payslip in, went 'I work for Delphi, could I have a trade card' bloke looked at the front of the payslip, and went 'yep' and got him one lol.
i just went in and said i want a trade card they was like where you work and i just said ford and they was like ok here you go they want to give them away (days of woring for halfords) as they need sales
Old 20-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Dennis_Wiseman

I'm not in the trade but was offered a card by the woman on the till because i was in there so often buying tools etc lol

Saved a hell of a lot of money although the discounts aren;t as massive on some things as they used to be.

Batterys you can get for just about half price
Old 20-07-2011, 07:48 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

i have a snapon tool box now full to the brim BUT for years i had halfords prof stuff which i have no passed on to my eldest son there great tools and tbh the only reason i have snapon now is i aloways promised myself a nice set of tools and its been a waste of cash but my son has a great tool box out of it

Last edited by Jay,; 20-07-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 21-07-2011, 12:22 PM
PileOfRust
Advanced PassionFord User

in my garage ive got a halfords professional tool chest with halfords ratchet spanners etc and theres absolutley nothing wrong with it
TBH most stuff from halfords is good value for money, like whenever i need some spray paint i get it from halfords as ive found it better than the carplan shit you get from autocare

its just people that drive in saxos with evo wings and neons that give halfords a bad name lol
Old 19-08-2011, 08:05 PM
andyjones

ive just been and got a trade card tonight at my local halfords! i took my fathers, mates garage business card.letterhead and i got one straight away no questions asked! i then bought £280 worth of tools,spanners,ratchets,screwdrivers,sockets and got them for 163 with the card!
Old 22-08-2011, 04:31 PM
Slik Johnson

WIN WIN
Old 22-08-2011, 09:10 PM
ben_frst
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i might get one of these as ive got a nvq2 in motor vehicle maintenance and repair and a self employment card

but my business cards say

Ben Hamer plastering
property maintenance and development

so i dont think i will be using that lol
Old 22-08-2011, 09:14 PM
ben_frst
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oh and to add i have loads of halfords pro stuff its great gonna get some more now if its cheaper lol the only thing i have found is some of there tools only come in common sizes as do most there sets 10/12/13/15/17/19 is so annoying
Old 23-08-2011, 04:05 PM
howie1989

All you need is any proof you've been in the motor trade or are i just took my college certificates in
Old 23-09-2011, 08:22 PM
turbo m

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I"ve had my trade card about 7 years now halfords were sending them out to buissnesses in the cambridge area so we just filled in the forms and the firm sent them back.Didn"t use it at first but have loads of times in the past 3 or so years.Can"t fault the tools.Only i tried to use it on a can of £1.40 de-icer last year and got nowt off.LOL well you have to try!!!!
Old 23-09-2011, 10:14 PM
Rikochet
PassionFord Regular

I've got a Halfords right across the road from my house and it's great on a Sunday when I'm out working on the car. Especially since that particular one didn't have any cameras until recently and the staff are all about 14

It's got cameras now though so I suppose a trade card is the next best thing! I'll go in and get one tomorrow and report back.