Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Help me please

Search this Thread

Old 14-07-2012, 11:51 AM
CosworthGuy
3dr Cosworth owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help me please

Right here goes. 2 days ago i decided to drag my 3 door out the garage and take the heater fan switch out as its duff. I spent a couple hours stripping the dash out to remove etc and put it all back together. In this time i had left the boot open and the doors so as you can guess drained the battery. I triued to start it and heard the fuel pump prime etc etc but it didnt quite have enough to turn it over and strat so i asked my old man to bring his car up and we'd put the jump leads on it . Ive done this dozens of times before. Now I always connect the earth first. So i connected it up n my 3door and he went to connect to his car and put the live on first then the earth. I go to start it and the car just spins over with no fuel pump noise. I thought FFS and ot may have popped the fuel pump fuse behind the dash. So i check that and its fine. There is power going to the yellow relays behind there also. So im at a bit of an annoyed loss at the moment. I also put a spare sparkplug in ht lead number 4 and held it on the exhaust to check for spark. Nothing. No spark. Someone must have come across these symptoms before on these cars. Also since this happened my alarm now doesnt lock or unlock my car via the central locking as it did half hour before this incident. The car will lock the doors and boot if i do it via the key and unlock etc. The alarm still arms and de arms via the remote but wont lock or unlock the doors. All this has happened since the jump lead incident. 1 min everthing is normal just not enough power to start and the next i have these problems
Old 14-07-2012, 11:54 AM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

should always put earth on last and take it off 1st,however its unlikely (but possible)you have damaged your ecu,judgeing by what your saying the reason she not starting is because your alarm is having a mini fit!what alarm have u got?
Old 14-07-2012, 11:57 AM
nicksaph
PassionFord Regular

you could have fried the immobliser in the alarm mate, or worst case the cars ecu itself seen it happen a few time in the past with other cars when using jump leads.
it doesn't matter how careful you attach the leads it can still spike sensitive electronics.

first thing i would do is fine where the alarm immobliser is wired into the loom and by pass it to see if it starts,
Old 14-07-2012, 01:41 PM
CosworthGuy
3dr Cosworth owner

its a very old alarm fitted about 20 years ago. The immbilisor light comes on after 30 seconds as usual and if i try and start the car it wont allow it to turn over which is normal. if i turn the immobiliser off then the car will turn over like it should so id assume the immobilisor is working ok
Old 15-07-2012, 03:52 PM
nicksaph
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by CosworthGuy
its a very old alarm fitted about 20 years ago. The immbilisor light comes on after 30 seconds as usual and if i try and start the car it wont allow it to turn over which is normal. if i turn the immobiliser off then the car will turn over like it should so id assume the immobilisor is working ok
if it a thatcham approved alarm it should have two immobliser circuits
1 will immoblise the starter circuit and the other will immoblise the ignition, otherwise the car could be bump started.

i would still be looking at the immobliser that looks favorite to me mate
Old 25-08-2012, 11:55 AM
CosworthGuy
3dr Cosworth owner

Fixed it yesterday. Decided yesterday that after ignoring it while ive been working all summer that I had a few spare hours and id have a look. I retraced where id beenfore and got my torch in there. It jumped out at me when I was looking around. My alarm module is screwed to the inside of my bulkhead behind the dash and there are two multi plugs going into it from the wiring loom. One loooked a fraction lower than the other so I gave it a gentle tug and the multi plug had come out the alaam cntroller so i refitted and made sure it was clipped in and the fucker started first time. So for the first time in a whil the 3 door made me genuinly happy lol