Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

What to Expect from my first Cossie

Search this Thread

Old 25-03-2011, 04:13 PM
chrisa3
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What to Expect from my first Cossie

Well, I have had the saff for 8 months now and its been driven about 2 miles I took it off the road immediately last year to restore the underside and strip and rebuilt the engine. By the time i had finished, it was snowing .

So, im booked in for my MOT next Wednesday and it will be the first time i have had the opportunity to drive the thing. I have at the minute a bit of a weird spec, as the car was originally a stage 3 setup, but was stripped of various parts before I bought it. So, its basically standard other than a T34.43 with a Forge Actuator, panel filter and a mongoose exhaust. I have rebuilt the bottom end and new valve stem seals etc.

I have bought a custom chip from MSD for stage 1 but with the T34. I have to run the thing in, and being my first 2wd cossie, I didnt want to go mad.

So, has anyone ever ran a Stage 1 setup with T34 as im hoping it wont drive like a pig. Im expecting it to be a little laggy ??
Old 25-03-2011, 04:19 PM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First thing to expect is bills the second will be driving along making sure everyone is being quiet as you can hear a bad noise and cant work out what it is lol

Welcome to Cossie Ownership lol
Old 25-03-2011, 04:28 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

Personally I would have gone for stage 3 provided you have a decent HG, at the moment you are getting no gain with the T34, it's only used to provide boost the the T3, I would upgrade the injectors and MAP sensor and maybe if you asked MSD kindly they would rewrite your calibration?

T34 isn't exactly laggy, it would be slightly more so than the T3, it dosen't matter what stage it's at to run it is, it's how it's driven which will run it in. I stayed off boost when running mine in and gave it little bursts every now and then.

Martin
Old 25-03-2011, 05:22 PM
James @ M Developments.
BANNED

BANNED

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

cant really use a T34 on a stage 1 chip, it will be mapped for a T3 so dont show it boost
Old 25-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Steve the Plumber
The original Rouge Trader

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What to Expect from my first Cossie,

Big repair bills,

Spending big money on modifications,

Spending big money in general on it,

But its worth it cos they are great fun!!
Old 25-03-2011, 06:13 PM
chrisa3

Originally Posted by James @ M Developments.
cant really use a T34 on a stage 1 chip, it will be mapped for a T3 so dont show it boost
How come, I bought a custom map from you when your website was updated earlier in the year for this specific reason, i was running a non standard setup. I gave my full car spec, and MSD did the chip to suite apparently. ??? This is what I was told. Is this not the case then??
Old 25-03-2011, 06:33 PM
scottyrs
DURHAM RSOC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

youll love it mate but then at time you'll hate it just as much! as im finding now,have you still got my old one aswell matey?
Old 25-03-2011, 06:41 PM
pullo
PassionFord Regular

Empty wallet
Old 25-03-2011, 06:51 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by chrisa3
How come, I bought a custom map from you when your website was updated earlier in the year for this specific reason, i was running a non standard setup. I gave my full car spec, and MSD did the chip to suite apparently. ??? This is what I was told. Is this not the case then??
Stu/james/msd will have supplied a map/chip that matches what you told them, I think James may have misunderstood your comment when you say a stage 1 that's all, using the chip number you could always phone to check, but if you said T34 that's what they will have supplied, just a misunderstanding on James's part I expect.
tabetha
Old 25-03-2011, 06:51 PM
chrisa3

Originally Posted by scottyrs
youll love it mate but then at time you'll hate it just as much! as im finding now,have you still got my old one aswell matey?
No, i managed to sell the shell before christmas. Just trying to get a few bits sorted in time for the MOT. I know one thing, if it starts to get a pain in the arse, I will be shutting the garage door and erasing its existance from my mind and it can sit there for another year.
Old 25-03-2011, 06:53 PM
chrisa3

Originally Posted by tabetha
Stu/james/msd will have supplied a map/chip that matches what you told them, I think James may have misunderstood your comment when you say a stage 1 that's all, using the chip number you could always phone to check, but if you said T34 that's what they will have supplied, just a misunderstanding on James's part I expect.
tabetha
I thought so. Ive emailed Stu as he sorted the original request. So, back to my original question will it drive any differently than a Stage 1 with a T3...... I have driven my mates with stage 1 setup on the standard T3 but im assuming with the T34, it will come on boost differently.

Last edited by chrisa3; 25-03-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 25-03-2011, 06:56 PM
sierrsteve1980
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Fun times and bad times. Love mine to bits but i have spent a fortune on it in the 7 weeks i have owned it, latest thing is the new engine loom i have just ordered.

But when its right its so right, nothing better than seeing one on the road now i own one its the second best feeling in life.
Old 25-03-2011, 07:16 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DanCossie
First thing to expect is bills the second will be driving along making sure everyone is being quiet as you can hear a bad noise and cant work out what it is lol

Welcome to Cossie Ownership lol
So true

Not sure how it will drive to be honest. One thing i'm 100% sure of though is that in about 2 weeks you will want more power. Always the case with cossies.
Old 25-03-2011, 09:04 PM
gibbo frst
Advanced PassionFord User

mine was awsome when i first got it drove it all the time had loads of fun in it.. since modding it the worries started and the more i did and spent the more i worry.. now i never use it cos its always waiting on parts .. the worst thing i did was have it painted as i dont like leaving it anywhere.. wish i left mine as a nice stage 3..
Old 25-03-2011, 10:25 PM
crumpet

stage 3 on t34 would be easiest option
Old 26-03-2011, 10:01 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

It will have slightly more lag than a T3, but depending on the chip will come in harder, do you know what psi it is written to run ?
It will give the turbo a easier time and last longer than a T3 running the same boost, and have more potential for later mods.
I run a T3-34.48, a T3 compressor housing machined out to take a T34 inducer, with std .48 turbine, on a RST rear section, my boost starts at 1400rpm, full boost by 2500rpm, but I have modded the inlet ports around the ends where the valve closes.
The very first thing you want to do is to get a fuelling check done as well as the fan and pump rewire for peace of mind, and engine life.
They can be totally reliable do good mpg and give good service if looked after, they are amazing for the age of the car.
tabetha
Old 26-03-2011, 10:25 AM
chrisa3

Originally Posted by tabetha
It will have slightly more lag than a T3, but depending on the chip will come in harder, do you know what psi it is written to run ?
It will give the turbo a easier time and last longer than a T3 running the same boost, and have more potential for later mods.
I run a T3-34.48, a T3 compressor housing machined out to take a T34 inducer, with std .48 turbine, on a RST rear section, my boost starts at 1400rpm, full boost by 2500rpm, but I have modded the inlet ports around the ends where the valve closes.
The very first thing you want to do is to get a fuelling check done as well as the fan and pump rewire for peace of mind, and engine life.
They can be totally reliable do good mpg and give good service if looked after, they are amazing for the age of the car.
tabetha
Thanks for that. I have a snap-on gas analyser at home and I have set the C0 at idle to 2.5% which is in the middle of MSDs intructions of 2-3%. I believe, according to the paperwork i got, its set to run 18psi and I have just fitted a new Weber 3.5bar fuel regulator from MSD too, and was told it was fit and forget. And I have a mate whos a auto sparky, whos making me the fan and pump loom in a couple of weeks.

I will be taking it down to MSD for a full checkover in a month or two, so hopefully it will be spot on. Cheers for all the advice

Last edited by chrisa3; 26-03-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 26-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Turbosimpsons

you'll have fun fun fun & pain pain pain.
Old 26-03-2011, 10:28 AM
Paul_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

mines running in at the moment on a t34 .63 and around 12psi of boost, its actually quite quick without even revving it high lol.

If (or indeed when :P )you do go 'stage 3' forget the old Bosch injectors and use Siemens 55lbs one instead!
Old 26-03-2011, 10:34 AM
James @ M Developments.
BANNED

BANNED

Ah so it's not stage 1..
Old 26-03-2011, 10:38 AM
chrisa3

Ah so it's not stage 1..
sorry, i meant to say it was one of your custom maps, but the paperwork etc said stage 1.

It says it set to run a peak of 17psi and settle @ 16psi. Just checked and 280bhp.
Old 26-03-2011, 10:41 AM
James @ M Developments.
BANNED

BANNED

Don't go and show it boost untill the duelling is checked under load, the STD injectors will lean very easily on a t34, so you may well have to cap boost lower, best get her on asap for a check over mate, and ideally a set of greens or 55s to suit your t34
Old 26-03-2011, 11:14 AM
chrisa3

Don't go and show it boost untill the duelling is checked under load, the STD injectors will lean very easily on a t34, so you may well have to cap boost lower, best get her on asap for a check over mate, and ideally a set of greens or 55s to suit your t34
No problems. I have to run the bottom end in anyway for a while so as soon as its got some miles on its back, i will fetch it down for a checkover.
Old 26-03-2011, 02:06 PM
hitchwest

Mine has been on t34 and standard injectors and on a gunship setup by Karl Norris holds 24 to 5500 rpm then tails off to 14 not missed a beat for 4 yrs and gets driven hard
Old 26-03-2011, 02:54 PM
chrisa3

Originally Posted by hitchwest
Mine has been on t34 and standard injectors and on a gunship setup by Karl Norris holds 24 to 5500 rpm then tails off to 14 not missed a beat for 4 yrs and gets driven hard
Cool What sort of power are you getting from it?
Old 26-03-2011, 03:16 PM
crumpet

Get your wallet out and go to reyland, get it sorted properlly on that t34! 360+bhp and reliable
Old 26-03-2011, 03:23 PM
hitchwest

Originally Posted by chrisa3
Cool What sort of power are you getting from it?

Karl Norris said it would be about 300

And still chucks flames out of the exhaust
Old 26-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts

Gunship is a cracking conversion imo. If i'm being honest the best drivable road cossie i had was my NMS T34.48 Greys setup, the car made 360bhp/363ft/lb and was an absolute hoot to drive, lag didn't even exist on that car...
Old 26-03-2011, 04:03 PM
hitchwest

Originally Posted by staffi
Gunship is a cracking conversion imo. If i'm being honest the best drivable road cossie i had was my NMS T34.48 Greys setup, the car made 360bhp/363ft

/lb and was an absolute hoot to drive, lag didn't even exist on that car...

Was that on the gunship Pete cos I have a set of grey and wondering about weather Karl would gunshi it
Old 26-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Bruceway
Virgin

Default What to expect

Originally Posted by DanCossie
First thing to expect is bills
And the biggest smile in the world
Old 26-03-2011, 05:16 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Was that on the gunship Pete cos I have a set of grey and wondering about weather Karl would gunshi it
Won't be Gunship as that uses stock components and it certainly won't make that power, I should think the Gunship is around 300HP, I don't like the idea personally.

To be honest from whats being said by MSD a T34 isn't best suited to what is otherwise a standard engine so you may as well change the injectors you have etc and ask MSD if they would provide another calibration instead of the one you currently have?

Do you know what HG you have?

Martin
Old 26-03-2011, 05:57 PM
chrisa3

Originally Posted by martysmartie
Won't be Gunship as that uses stock components and it certainly won't make that power, I should think the Gunship is around 300HP, I don't like the idea personally.

To be honest from whats being said by MSD a T34 isn't best suited to what is otherwise a standard engine so you may as well change the injectors you have etc and ask MSD if they would provide another calibration instead of the one you currently have?

Do you know what HG you have?

Martin
I built the bottom end on a new 200 block, standard pistons, mahle rings and new bearings on .25 on mains and conrods. Its got a Victor Reinz Group A gasket with standard cosworth head bolts.
Old 26-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Cilly-jey
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

why u going stage1? first day i got my car, i removed the blues and the stage1 chip. added greens and had a stage3 chip put in! as i was informed this is what the car was intended for. needs a set up after the new tps. but love it evary time it comes on boost, 22psi out of my t3 nice
Old 26-03-2011, 06:16 PM
chrisa3

Originally Posted by Cilly-jey
why u going stage1?
cause im a big girls blouse and im too scared to play with the big boys

nah, i just want to get used to the car and run the engine in first. I may go stage 3 later in the year. Ive forked out close to £4000 this year building the car up from a rolling shell https://passionford.com/forum/pictur...n-3-years.html

Its starting to piss me off already, spent all day getting it running, polished etc and now the fucker is leaking coolant from the thermostat housing its had a full gasket kit fitted as well, piece of shit. Im gonna take it off and put some gasket sealer on there too.

Its missing as well when cold. When pulling away is splutters and nearly stalls, then revs itself to 2.5k revs briefly then settles back at idle. Idles mint though. doing me head in
Old 26-03-2011, 06:19 PM
scottyrs
DURHAM RSOC

thats exactly what mine does mate i got told it could be my cold start sensor did you get my PM?
Old 26-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts

No mate, that was a different live map all together, Karl can & will map yours on the greys though so i wouldn't buy others tbh..
Old 26-03-2011, 08:39 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

So long as you have a decent HG as I would be wary even when standard if it had the original, answered your TPS thread which may explain the running prob.

Martin
Old 26-03-2011, 08:41 PM
crumpet

£4k's nothin, another £1k and itll be a decent reliable 350+ from a t34...
Old 26-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Paul_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

£4K is nothing? yeah right lol
Old 26-03-2011, 10:03 PM
chrisa3

Originally Posted by crumpet
£4k's nothin, another £1k and itll be a decent reliable 350+ from a t34...
The other £1k is going towards taking the kids to cyprus this summer. I have to draw a line somewhere you know. Get my Stage 3 and buy the kids a paddling pool. Sounds tempting, but the wife will devorce me

Quick Reply: What to Expect from my first Cossie