Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Steering bush

Search this Thread

Old 26-01-2011, 06:34 AM
mattrst90spec
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering bush

Hi

I need to replace the bush in the bulkheadhead where the steering colum comes through, can this be done from the engine side or does it have to be done from inside the car?

Cheers Matt.
Old 26-01-2011, 04:37 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to get to it from the inside, as the actual plastic parts that goes on the shaft, points downwards from the inside towards the ground/forward, this then has a metal clip on the steering shaft that holds this part in.
You need to remove the aluminum "cap" from the bush on the engine bay side, then remove, the bolt holding the steering shaft that pokes through the bulkhead, this can then be slid up the steering shaft tube, till it disengages from the bush, you can then push the main plastic part through the hole, or pull from engine side, remove inner part of plastic bush from shaft, reassemble in reverse order, ensuring the clamp bolt is tightly holding the triangular shaft in the joint, and that the metal clip on the inside on the shaft holds the inner plastic part in engagement(in) the outer part, otherwise this will rise upwards in use and pop out leaving you with serious play.
tabetha