Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Bad brake judder

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 11:26 AM
cossirob
PassionFord Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Bad brake judder

I brought a set of ap 330 discs and modified 2wd calipers from a friend of a friend of a friend sort of thing for my 2wd cossie. Iv had them sitting around for ages and finaly got round to fitting them just before Xmas but since fitting them I'm gettin very very bad brake judder through the steerin to the point it feels like the dash is gonna fall out lol.

Could it be the discs warped or could it be something different causing it?

Thanks
Old 11-01-2011, 11:30 AM
m4tt274
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

discs are warped!
ive seen alot of these AP discs warp, i know they are meant to be really good etc etc but it seems very common
Old 11-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Char1ie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Modified calipers? Someone has modified standard calipers to make them accept 330mm discs? Have you got a picture? Depending on the bracket you may find the caliper is flexing under load. I have had warped discs and got a gentle wobble rather than a dash shake.

Look at the discs to see if there's an unusual wear pattern. Fix something very close to the disc and spin the disc keeping an eye on the gap to see if they are warped in any way.

I reckon it's a caliper issue though.

Charlie
Old 11-01-2011, 11:41 AM
m4tt274
PassionFord Post Whore!!

the sierra dash does judder alot though, i can remember going in a 4x4 last summer and the dash would jump around the cab the brakes were applied. that was warped 330mm AP discs.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:05 PM
cossirob
PassionFord Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Char1ie
Modified calipers? Someone has modified standard calipers to make them accept 330mm discs? Have you got a picture? Depending on the bracket you may find the caliper is flexing under load. I have had warped discs and got a gentle wobble rather than a dash shake.

Look at the discs to see if there's an unusual wear pattern. Fix something very close to the disc and spin the disc keeping an eye on the gap to see if they are warped in any way.

I reckon it's a caliper issue though.

Charlie
No iv not got any picutres to had but il stick some up when I get some. To be honest I didn't know they was modified caliper untill after I paid for them,

Basicly my mate brought a cossie with them on (iv been in tge car many time and he had no problem with them) then he broke the car and sold them to his mate, then the same again he broke that car now iv ended up with them but I'm getting bad judder so I don't know if that person has warped tge discs or what,

The only think I have noticed with them is the only way I could fit the brake pipe was through the bleed nipple as the bracket would of been in the way, could that cause problems?
he broke